Dec 10-12: Victoria v England XI at Melbourne

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Time for the mighty Victorians to show what they are made of. But like the Australian team they have no form whatsoever. White, Hussey and McKay will be trying to impress the selectors while Finch, Paterson, Wade will be looking to show their worth for the future. Can they survive the 3 days where our two other domestic teams have failed?

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Big game for D Hussey the most you would have to say.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Looks like a shoot-out between the second-string bowlers.

Tremlett will probably get the nod because of his height and the extra bounce at the WACA. Shahzad bowled impressively during the Aussie A game as well, so there is plenty of good options.

It also gives Anderson, Finn and Swann a well deserved rest after two hard test matches.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
I'm in agreement about Tremlett getting the nod, He's had a good season at Surrey and looked impressive against Australia A a couple of weeks back. He also appears to have a bit more about him these days than he did at Hampshire.
Is he too similar to Finn though? Will Bresnan be considered due to his batting ability?( hopefully we will continue to not require the tail to bat though :D)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Bresnan looked alright in the Aus A game, don't think it really matters if the bowlers are the same if they are getting wickets. Finn is doing that as is Anderson.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Personally would punt for Shahzad as he offers something a bit different to the rest but I'd be quite happy to see Tremmers get the gig. As long as Bresnan doesn't get into the team I'm happy.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Personally would punt for Shahzad as he offers something a bit different to the rest but I'd be quite happy to see Tremmers get the gig. As long as Bresnan doesn't get into the team I'm happy.

I would quite like Shahzad as well. The one thing England will miss with Broad out is his aggression. Shahzad is the one England bowler that will provide that, plus he'll still be effective if the pitch isn't what it's shaped up to be.

I don't mind if it's Shahzad or Tremlett, as long as it's not Bresnan. He doesn't offer too much to the attack for me.

Last edited:

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah. The only reason that they'd go for Bresnan would be because they wanted a bit of batting cover which on the evidence of the first two test we don't need. Hopefully they go for Shahzad as I'd love to see his reverse swingers.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Hopefully some of our batsmen will get a well deserved rest and we give Morgan and Davies a go

You could take the opportunity to have a look at one academy players during this game as well. Maybe Lyth or Hildreth?

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Victorian Side to play England:

Michael Hill
Tom Stray
Aaron Finch
David Hussey
Cameron White
Matthew Wade
Alexander Keath
John Hastings
Clinton McKay 

Jon Holland
Jayde Herrick
Ryan Carters

Opening batsmen Tom Stray comes in to play his first, first class match after good performances in the futures league comp. As does talented quick Jayde Herrick. Victoria's strength lies in it's middle order of Finch, D Hussey, White & Wade.

P

pcfan123

Whatever happened to Bopara, is he in the performance squad?

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Whatever happened to Bopara, is he in the performance squad?

Bopara, I think is still in SA.

Victorian Side to play England:

Michael Hill
Tom Stray
Aaron Finch
David Hussey
Cameron White
Matthew Wade
Alexander Keath
John Hastings
Clinton McKay 

Jon Holland
Jayde Herrick
Ryan Carters

Opening batsmen Tom Stray comes in to play his first, first class match after good performances in the futures league comp. As does talented quick Jayde Herrick. Victoria's strength lies in it's middle order of Finch, D Hussey, White & Wade.

Alex Keath is promising. I saw him in the U19 World Cup

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Alex Keath is promising. I saw him in the U19 World Cup

He's a talented all-rounder scored 192 in a future leagues match, should also be making his first class debut, which i forgot to mention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sureshot

Executive member
I'm in agreement about Tremlett getting the nod, He's had a good season at Surrey and looked impressive against Australia A a couple of weeks back. He also appears to have a bit more about him these days than he did at Hampshire.
Is he too similar to Finn though? Will Bresnan be considered due to his batting ability?( hopefully we will continue to not require the tail to bat though :D)

No, Tremlett is much more line and length than Finn, he may be tall, but that's about the only similarity. I'd definitely plump for Tremlett at Perth, he's had a good year at Surrey and I think he's a pretty good bowler.

Bresnan seems to have a good rep with the England management, and I'm not sure why. Maybe we're missing something? Sure, he can bat to a decent standard, but we need to take wickets with our 4 bowlers, not be worried about them getting runs, which to be honest, an 8-11 of Swann, Tremlett/Shahzad, Finn and Anderson is good enough.

Shahzad averages 29 with the bat in FC, albeit with quite a few not outs and over a short selection of matches, he still has 2 50s, with a best of 88. Likewise Tremlett has 7 50s at FC level. Either one is good enough for 9 and both are considerably better bowlers than Bresnan.

It's an interesting one, Tremlett is the safer option, but Shahzad is a really exciting prospect imo.

To get it on topic, this match provides a big opportunity for them, even if the words from Flower suggest he already knows who is playing, I am worried that is Bresnan given his test experience this summer.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It's a shame James Pattinson isn't getting a go. Just took a look at Jayde Herrick and hes played 1 game in NZ where he took a 4-fer.

Users who are viewing this thread