Dhoni retires from Test Cricket: Anyone who can replace him?

Arun A B

Club Cricketer
Completely shocked to hear that. Especially what new Indian team would be without him! 5 fingers of India got retired one by one and now India is a fresh wet cloth and will take a very long time to get dry :(

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
It's about time tbh, Test cricket didn't suit him in recent years and his run as captain over the last 2 years was average, and that's me being nice.

However, at his peak, he could be a formidable batsman and more than competent keeper. I've always felt that MS was a far superior ODI player.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
he wasn't a good test captain, especially outside the subcontinent. The England series last summer at times looked like "who can make the worse captaincy decisions!!!"

He'll probably retire fully from international cricket some point soon after the world cup. You'd want to give a new captain a decent run into the 2019 World Cup (especially since you might wish to change up) and you can't do that if Dhoni is hanging around. It gives them a few years to develop both a younger captain and also a younger keeper-batsman. He might hang around for a bit so he can get a home farewell and until they work out if Kholi's the man for them, but I don't see him playing much more than a year at most.

Might he be looking to retire at the T20 World Cup in 2016? It's a big ICC tournament played in India, it's short form and plays well to his strengths and if he goes then it gives them three years to develop an ODI team for 2019 and four years before the next T20 World Cup. If India win the World Cup (unlikely IMO) then he'll jack it in then (better to go when you're the best in the World) but if not...

Earagav

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
At last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Note : I am a pure, genuine Dhoni hater. Especially in tests.

It means Kohli will be :c:.

A good :wkb: would be Saha or maybe someone else.....

Gurjot95

National Board President
At last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Note : I am a pure, genuine Dhoni hater. Especially in tests.

It means Kohli will be :c:.

A good :wkb: would be Saha or maybe someone else.....
Just a reminder, People here are genetically advanced creatures who can understand a normal human language without using symbols to demonstrate. Shocking, right?

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Just a reminder, People here are genetically advanced creatures who can understand a normal human language without using symbols to demonstrate. Shocking, right?
Ya shocked.

Though Dhoni one of the best captains of India in every format, he was one of the worst captains in the last two years. I wanted a new captain but not his retirement for the sake of Team India. Searching a real replacemet for him will take ages for the Selectors. Most probable reason of his retirement is the board and fellow/former staff handing pressure to a large extent. One of the reasons for not resigning as a captain and directly retiring might be playing under the captaincy of a young player as per his comparison.:(

Best of Luck to Virat Kohli and the Wicket-Keeper to replace one of the best player in Indian Cricket History. My choices are Naman Ojha or Ambati Rayudu(as I believe him a full time wicket-keeper as he had done for MI) :)

S

Satan666

No offence meant but a spoilt brat cant be expected to lead the richest team in the cricketing world for very long, didnt him and Sikar Dhawan had a fight recently?

Captaincy wrecked Lara and Tendulkar's batting for a while they were good enough to get over it and still produce some memorable inns, Kohli is good but not as good as those guys I hope captaincy doesn't affect his batting, he has inherited an overall weak team, big job for this guy!

Yuvi.

International Coach
Profile Flag
India
Worth a Share :
10888448_756508297759656_8597729993866083371_n.jpg

PokerAce

Banned
Here are some unbelievable and interesting MSD as Captain Stats -

60 The number of Tests in which MS Dhoni captained India, the highest among all Indians, and sixth among all captains. It's also easily the highest for a wicketkeeper - the next best is Bangladesh's Mushfiqur Rahim, with 19 matches as captain.

294 Test dismissals for Dhoni, the fifth highest among all wicketkeepers, and the best for an Indian by far: the next best is Syed Kirmani's 198 dismissals in 88 matches.

27 The number of Tests India won with Dhoni as captain - the next highest for India is Sourav Ganguly with 21. Only six captains won more Tests than Dhoni did. (Not just India, but all nations!!)

21 The number of home Tests India won under Dhoni, which puts him fourth in the all-time list - only Graeme Smith, Ricky Ponting and Steve Waugh captained in more home wins. The next best for India is Mohammad Azharuddin with 13 wins.

9 Number of dismissals Dhoni affected in his last Test (eight catches, one stumping), which is the highest for an Indian wicketkeeper. There are five instances of eight dismissals by an Indian wicketkeeper, of which Dhoni was the protagonist three times. In Test history, there are only four instances of wicketkeepers affecting more than nine dismissals in a Test.

38 The number of stumpings by Dhoni, which is the joint third highest in Test history, along with Kirmani. Only Godfrey Evans (46) and Bert Oldfield (52) have more stumpings.

224 Dhoni's score against Australia in Chennai last year, the third best ever by a wicketkeeper in Tests. Only Andy Flower (232* against India in 2000) and Kumar Sangakkara (230 versus Pakistan in 2002) have made bigger scores. Before Dhoni's double-century, the highest by a wicketkeeper for India was Budhi Kunderan's 192 against England in 1964.

4876 Runs that Dhoni scored in Tests, which is the third best for a wicketkeeper, after Adam Gilchrist (5570) and Mark Boucher (5515). Among Indian wicketkeepers it's easily the best, well clear of Kirmani's 2759 and Farrokh Engineer's 2611. He averaged 38.09, the best among Indian wicketkeepers who played more than three Tests, while his six Test hundreds is three times the next best for India.

3454 Runs scored by Dhoni as Test captain, which is the highest among Indian captains. Sunil Gavaskar is next, with 3449 runs in 47 Tests as captain, while Azharuddin made 2856 runs in 47 matches.

2871 The Test runs Dhoni scored from the No. 7 position, the highest for India at that slot; Kapil Dev is next with an aggregate of 2861. No other Indian batsman has scored more than 800 runs from that position.

15 The number of overseas Tests India lost under Dhoni. Only Stephen Fleming (16 losses from 42 Tests) and Brian Lara (16 losses from 20 Tests) have lost more overseas games as captain. (In good company).

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You give me Gambhir, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxmann and Yuvraj and I will take you to world number one and win you a world cup. Dhoni was good but we need some context.

then Greame Smith was Nothing because he had Amla, de Villiers, Steyn,Morkel,Philander
And De Villiers is Nothing as He has same players in Squad.

Same applies For Ricky Ponting too.

ethybubs

International Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I agree with that and I'm not sure why you would expect me not to.

I think a lot of Smith's success came from his line up however I would say that as a captain he was very capable. Ponting, on the other hand, is in the same boat as Dhoni, a pretty average captain who was overrated by success.

Users who are viewing this thread