Don Bradman 17 review - Buyers beware!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Royce DBC 14 was a revolution in cricket gaming when it came out. Bigant took a big risk by doing away with bowling marker. It was such a fresh take on this genre. Also we can't forget the intricacies of the sport. Cricket is not an easy sport to translate into game.
However not building on such a solid base is what is confounding many of us old folks here. Ross and his team still have a special space in our hearts for giving us DBC 14. One misstep that is likely to be corrected anyways, is not going to alienate fans of BA studios

That's where you're wrong, BA did not have to provide support for this game, they did it not only for the fans but for the gaming community.

Cricket must be one of the hardest Sports to emulate out there and in my opinion they are doing a pretty good job, most game developers out there won't touch it and not just because of the appeal but the difficulty of creating these sorts of games.

Maybe rather than bagging the game at every chance you get, why not thank BA for actually having a go and not leaving us with Cricket 07 as the last cricket game to be made.

I can understand it has it's flaws but then again so does pretty much every game from small developers all the way up to EA.

Yes i admit that I have BA tinted glasses on when in this forum. But i guess I'm more forgiving about these things, Yes it's not good to have a game release with these many problems & yes they will fix them in due time. Me personally I'm really enjoying this game even with it's many flaws there's a great game just underneath waiting to reach its full potential. For cricket games on PC/Console their isn't much choice at all and I'm very grateful that BA committed to a very big risk by making at least 2 games so far for us to enjoy otherwise there would be no games at all! They have taken cricket gaming to a whole new level with the features never before seen in a cricket game. Yes it does seem strange that almost all of the patched in 'dbc14' features aren't there at all, I thought DBC14 'after the final patch' was the perfect foundation to build from. It's a shame but clearly there was a reason behind it. I have faith in BA to get this all sorted like they have in the past. I know that won't help ease many frustrations but that's the way it's happened. One of many things that's great about this community is it's passion for the game, We all want the best for it and that can sometimes spill over into chaos. I don't know if it's easier to get fixes done after the PC release is out for the consoles like on DBC14 a lot of features were 'tested' on PC 1st then brought across when available. Also just for a moment just think about being in Ross's shoes right now... Hearing hundreds if not thousands of voices on here and many other forums, i would think it's overwhelming at times. This game will be sorted in due time and i have the utmost respect and faith in BA to correct the game soon enough :)

Sorry for long post just thought I'd put my 2 pence in :)

Dbc14 in final shape was best foundation to built next title...but when u waste time and energy on table top . useless 2p coopt play, sell same dbc14 on next generation console then rush to lacrosse and dirt track....such buggy product is no wonder....
Having no competition thy cud earn and sale yearly title dbc15 16 17 with new changes according to wish list and customer feed back.that would b great fun plus revinew...any ways hope thy patch dbc17 best before steam release

Dbc14 in final shape was best foundation to built next title...but when u waste time and energy on table top . useless 2p coopt play, sell same dbc14 on next generation console then rush to lacrosse and dirt track....such buggy product is no wonder....
Having no competition thy cud earn and sale yearly title dbc15 16 17 with new changes according to wish list and customer feed back.that would b great fun plus revinew...any ways hope thy patch dbc17 best before steam release
Ill informed utter junk.....speculation upon speculation. Yes the game us on need of patching but just shitting on everything without any evidence at all just isnt right imo....

You seem to have a keen business sense for game development. What is the name of your studio again?

Have u heard name of game ventures studios having office in Karachi and Dubai . registered in 2009 . thy had a online game that was sold to cric info ....old howzat not current one

Have u heard name of game ventures studios having office in Karachi and Dubai . registered in 2009 . thy had a online game that was sold to cric info ....old howzat not current one
Please do us all a favour, remove the profile picture of DBC 17 from your account and please stop spewing s@#% here!

Did - Literally the ONLY match for "game ventures studio" is this post in this thread. :)
Administrator

While you'd expect any game to be copying every other one in nearly every capacity, but try to do it slightly better, HowZat does the opposite, it copies a bunch of genres and mashes them together without a lot of focus on anything in particular, yet almost pulls it off.

For a browser based Cricket game, it is the best I've played. However that doesn't say all that much, as it really hasn't been attempted before. Games like Stick Cricket are about the only thing similar, and as the name of that suggests, it doesn't try to be proper Cricket. HowZat has bit off a lot in this regard and has some good ideas, the bowling is very well thought out, though with timing missing from the equation, you just pick a spot and pick a speed, which isn't exactly a comprehensive bowling experience, but it is pretty good for what it is, especially considering how wrong some recent full 3D Cricket games that do that badly.

Batting is another story though, there's a lot of missing feedback here. I've found while I'm playing that I could just easily play down the ground, with the only variance being whether it is a single or a four (with the occasional two), but if you try and play different shots, you almost certainly end up mistiming. With the lack of a nets/training mode to practice shots, the only time you get to practice shots is in the middle of a five over match and with the timing/shot selection feedback not there half the time, or not in the game at all, it just leaves you with going for the safe shots, which doesn't make for interesting cricket. On the other hand my first Six was square of the wicket, but I only got 16 in that whole innings because of the amount of time I spent trying and missing.

Fielding is non-existent, you have a choice of three non-ideal fields and no time to make decisions on it (three seconds I think). I'd get reasons for not including a field editor (as it would introduce too many variables), I'd just like some more field settings. It also often seems like the ball goes right through a fielder when you'd expect a catch and sometimes they catch it when you think it has gone through. I doubt Flash has the best physics engine though.

The experience overall is good, my first match was my best match so far, when it is close and you know every ball matters it is thrilling. For me, it is the only online game I've managed to play without lag absolutely ruining it, though there are still lag issues, but when you're on a 256k connection, even the PlanetCricket Database Errors lag a bit.

But what happens when every ball doesn't matter? It becomes a game that lacks the depth it needs to be successful long term. The match engine is good, but it is a gimmick for most online cricket managers, who will quickly move on if there isn't something to hold them there.

Besides getting points for winning (or spamming the game on Facebook) and using these to increase player skills and a level system that hasn't been explained anywhere (as far as I've seen), there isn't all that much on themanagement side.

I think you are just talking out of your a**. Troll Detected!
No its ur way to talk via ur a... I just told about official game ventures product whom with I worked .its not current one [DOUBLEPOST=1482164579][/DOUBLEPOST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread