Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

18.54 minutes in and the AI bowler switched to bowl around the wicket to a right handed batsman. Very happy to see little things like that :)

20.11 minutes in and there is an appeal for a stumping but it is given not out. The fielding team is given the option of a challenge

This is incorrect. Stumpings are never challenged for. It should have been checked by the third umpire. I hope this isn't wrong for run outs as well.

In regard to people saying there are too many wides the difficulty factor should be taken into factor we are yet to see any gameplay with anything above pro difficulty.

On legendary and veteran difficulty I'm sure you'll see more realistic bowling patterns by the AI.

have to say i agree with @whiteninness it seems like an extremely odd algorithm to have bowling changes etc. tied in to "base" roster in a game where the player editor is a huge feature.

also, i'm a little confused in that, if linked properly, the roster shouldn't change much since the on-disc A Pisspants becomes A Peterson for example - the game has the correct initials, is what i'm saying - and so the roster shouldn't change that much... nor should linking the teams turn e.g. on-disc Max Junkfeatures the bowler into Mitchell Johnson a batsman.

i find it hard to envisage how testing could have missed this, since testing career mode with created players should be something that happened.

such a pity, since the player editor and career mode are two major plus points for the game yet seem to be incompatible. a major dropped bollock that i hope is resolved quickly - the positive is we can have full confidence that Big Ant will seek to do so.

The number of Reverse Sweeps hit by the AI still worries me.

Almost 3 reverse sweeps in the first over and the man batting is not Maxwell. :rolleyes

Last edited:
such a pity, since the player editor and career mode are two major plus points for the game yet seem to be incompatible. a major dropped bollock that i hope is resolved quickly - the positive is we can have full confidence that Big Ant will seek to do so.

The problem is that it seems like a design decision, due to reasons of "balance", to make the career mode attributes uneditable.

have to say i agree with @whiteninness it seems like an extremely odd algorithm to have bowling changes etc. tied in to "base" roster in a game where the player editor is a huge feature.

also, i'm a little confused in that, if linked properly, the roster shouldn't change much since the on-disc A Pisspants becomes A Peterson for example - the game has the correct initials, is what i'm saying - and so the roster shouldn't change that much... nor should linking the teams turn e.g. on-disc Max Junkfeatures the bowler into Mitchell Johnson a batsman.

i find it hard to envisage how testing could have missed this, since testing career mode with created players should be something that happened.

That is what i thought where problem was. If htat is not the case then we have no option but to wait for the patch. Ideally if creator has replace a bowler with a bowler then it should not affect anything else in the game. I guess it would be a painful process for creators to check attributes of each player before linking them.

That is what i thought where problem was. If htat is not the case then we have no option but to wait for the patch. Ideally if creator has replace a bowler with a bowler then it should not affect anything else in the game. I guess it would be a painful process for creators to check attributes of each player before linking them.

I don't think you've really grasped what the issue it. The only way for the creators to fix this issue would be to either provide out of date rosters, or simply wrong rosters.

Let's just leave it to BA - they're well across the issue

The problem is that it seems like a design decision, due to reasons of "balance", to make the career mode attributes uneditable.

but, and i am loath to say this because clearly the game is full of great design decisions and also this is "after the event" smart arseness, but it's a terrible design decision for a game to say 1)we have a major player editor that allows the users to mess around with the roster and all aspects of a player 2)we have a career mode 3)career mode assumes the base roster

If you think the career mode is broken then you do not understand the issue.

If you do, or do not, download teams from the Academy, your gameplay experience will be *exactly* the same for your player.

If you download from the Academy, the players around you will be replaced in name and appearance only based on their order in the roster not their initials. This will seem odd to see what you know as a spin bowler become pace etc.. however you cannot play as them in career mode anyway - your experience is no different.

To get over this "oddity" we will look to use another method of normalisation so that players maintain their role - however even after this normalisation, your individual players experience will not change.

It's pretty disappointing that the biggest offline game mode got all messed up with seemingly odd design decision just for the sake of an online leaderboard, neglecting some of the great options provided by the CA - ie. replicating players' strengths and weaknesses and recreating the imbalances which are just part of the sport. Suresh Raina SHOULD NOT be able to handle the bouncer. ;)

it's not quite "exactly" the same experience, because smacking mitchell johnson for 4 and smacking alex doolan for four are not the same thing, even if in the game it's an alex doolan with the bowling attributes of mitchell johnson

I agree that our experience will not change but to see Graeme Smith taking 10 wickets in match and Monty Panesar scoring hundreds takes a lot away from the realism which Cricket Academy brought into the game. That for me affect my experience as a player.

Just checking can we see cpu vs cpu matches also.sometimes it can be fun when tired.Is this available and enabled on the game.can you share the info pls.

Users who are viewing this thread