Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Screen_Shot_2014_04_01_at_13_07_53.png

Again - this is only in career mode. All the non-career mode videos we've seen have had logical bowling choices by the AI, and HBK has confirmed it is only career mode.

Just so everyone understands what is happening, let's take Alex Hales for example.

In Munkeymomo's Notts team (the one being used in the above screenshot), he is the 9th player in the list for Notts.

In the on-disc Notts, the 9th player is 'P. Fitzpatrick' (Paul Franks in real life - he's a bowler), and P. Fitzpatrick's skills classify him as a 2 helmet bowler. On the on-disc roster, the correct Alex Hales link is 12th. The disparity is caused by Munkeymomo uploading a more up to date roster than the on-disc roster.

The issue is, that Hales is effectively linked to P. Fitzpatrick in career mode, because they are both 9th on their respective teams. Hales becomes a bowler. He keeps the name, face, kit etc. But he picks up the attributes/skills of P. Fitzpatrick in career mode only.

I can't make it much simpler than that. That is what is happening, and that is what Big Ant are trying to fix. It is not being ignored.

Last edited:
obviously there was a severe lack of community engagement to find out what we really wanted. you have to blame @Ross entirely. less time shilling, more time engaging for DBC15.

for the avoidance of doubt, that's a joke. i actually blame @HBK619

I couldn't care less about online leaderboards so would be happy for there to be a "just play with the downloaded rosters" career mode.

Can anyone shed any light on wicket keeper controls?

Do they have dedicated controls?

If this normalization happens in career, I'm assuming the same kind of normalization would happen in online matches.

might sound too simplistic but can't big ant just fix the rosters created by users? Guess that wud take care of everything for career mode without a patch! may be I am wrong though...

I think it'd be pretty pissy if we can't use our customised skills/attributes in career mode exactly the way we want, considering a lot of us spent 100+ hours tailor-making it for career mode (or at least I did). Why the hell would I be interested in playing for a NZ domestic team in a casual match? I don't give a crap about NZ cricket (apologies @Biggs and @glenny134 but certainly not to @Chunnster). But it would be pretty cool to be a young NZer, to rise up through the shitty NZ domestic cricket ranks (again apologies) to become a key player for the national team. I want to do that against the shitty NZ players I rated (yet again apologies) rather than a fake-linked Ashton Agar who actually bats at 3.

Anyway, that's my last rant on the matter :)

Surely your gameplay experience is affected when you're facing a wicketkeeper off the first over of a test match instead of a fast bowler?

I feel like I am not grasping the issue, very confused!

If this normalization happens in career, I'm assuming the same kind of normalization would happen in online matches.

Normalisation already happens in online matches.

Again - this is only in career mode.

Just so everyone understands what is happening, let's take Alex Hales for example.

In Munkeymomo's Notts team (the one being used in the above screenshot), he is the 9th player in the list for Notts.

In the on-disc Notts, the 9th player is 'P. Fitzpatrick' (Paul Franks in real life), and P. Fitzpatrick's skills classify him as a 2 helmet bowler. On the on-disc roster, the correct Alex Hales link is 12th. The disparity is caused by Munkeymomo uploading a more up to date roster than the on-disc roster.

The issue is, that Hales is effectively linked to P. Fitzpatrick in career mode, because they are both 9th on their respective teams. Hales becomes a bowler. He keeps the name, face, kit etc. But he picks up the attributes/skills of P. Fitzpatrick in career mode only.

I can't make it much simpler than that. That is what is happening, and that is what Big Ant are trying to fix. It is not being ignored.

not sure i've seen anyone claim it's being ignored (but the site is moving super quick i'm sure i'm missing loads of great posts!) but i think a lot of people are querying the original design principle, which - as a software designer myself - i think is poor, and the issue should have been foreseen.

that being said, it's great that we can have the confidence that the developer will actually do something about it. and it's great that what is ultimately an aesthetic issue, rather than game play - in your example above, you're still facing bowling of "paul franks" quality, just with a different name - is the major "flaw". the gameplay still looks excellent.

that being said, due to player heights etc. i assume there must be some gameplay difference?

Whoa guys. Whoever is using the videos to judge how I play, please note that I'm playing like that just to show you how the game works.

I'm obviously trying to improve my skills :D

Anyways, the bowlers do tend to bowl on the leg side a lot. Even the balls I played on the leg, either I could have played them straight or on the on side. Majority of the deliveries are not really on the off stump or outside it, in most of the matches I have played.

might sound too simplistic but can't big ant just fix the rosters created by users? Guess that wud take care of everything for career mode without a patch! may be I am wrong though... is that possible?

Users who are viewing this thread