Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

My plan is to play everything other than career mode till I am able to play at the highest difficulty... In the meantime, they'll fix the career mode issue ;)

What I don't understand is, if on-disk roster position is the real issue and if we were to create brand new teams with no on-disk counterparts (think Pakistani Domestic for example), this issue should not occur? It might still occur when you get selected for your national team, but till then it should be fine I guess?

That's possible I'm sure. Someone should try it out.

Actually, that again flies in the face of BA's career mode methodology. They want everything to be balanced and all of the attributes are purely made by Big Ant...

... but that only applies to the English and Australian teams. If you want to play as India or Pakistan or other nations, as many people do, then all of the players will be from the Cricket Academy anyway, complete with attributes.

Actually, this gives me an idea. For Australia and England, are you able to make custom team lists but in them just place the Australian and English teams from CA? Those should have the CA-made attributes. You'd basically be doing just what you would do for the Indian and Pakistani domestic teams.

----------

I'm getting better at fast bowling at Pro level. But, it's very difficult to bowl at a fast pace so far.

Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Awesome bowled vs AI. Pakistan Vs India Test - YouTube

----------

@BigAntStudios The ground practice doesn't show the speed for fast bowlers or the RPM for spinners. Also, there is no mention of when to press the R1 or L1 buttons to fast/slow bowl or how to bowl closer to the wicket or away from it.

Can these be added in the patch?

I think the best way to know you're bowling fast or spinning well is via these indicators otherwise it is better to play a casual game for practice. Given the fact that it's not easy to play at PRO level and above, the more help we can get in practice, the better.

Awesome video. You know you can embed youtube videos yeah? :)

Can you give us some scores from this test match? Top of off...just what you want to hit as a pace bowler!

Saw a couple of videos on Youtube and game looks amazing!!!

The batsman in the video kept hitting more leg shots than off but one thing I absolutely loved is this - in one shot the batsman clears the infield with a nice lofted shot, the fielder is running towards the boundary to stop the ball as it flew over his head and what was amazing was his head was looking up toward the ball and following the ball trajectory as it landed in front of him and rolled to the boundary.

That little touch made it stellar!

Looks like a very good game as of now... I'm hoping it will remain so when I play it and review it.

Loved all the videos so far...I think this is the first cricket game which is interesting to watch as well...:D

Getting slightly confused over the last few pages over the career attributes and stuff. So let me get this straight, if I was for example wanted to play as a county team, and downloaded the team from the on-line community with the first three players on the roster looking like this :

Player A
Player B
Player C

But on the original team roster shipped with the game it looks like this :

Player X
Player Y
Player Z

Then Player A would have Player X's default attributes, Player B would have player Y's attributes and so on? If that's correct, why so :(? Seems a bit silly seeming as the majority of the default rosters are miles out of date and with a quick look over I can already see Hampshire have Clarke who played for them 10 years ago...

Last edited:
Correct. The entire issue is a visual one and not gameplay related.

At the end of the day the people cant use their created players that we've put hundreds of hours into making for the intended purposes they've been led to believe they could.

To palm it off as a 'visual issue' as if it doesnt mean anything is poor form.

Youre not understanding it. It does affect our game-playing experience. No one wants to play a game that has a recognised wicketkeeper opening the bowling and a number 11. Simple.

People's hard earned $$$ is going into something that doesn't do what it should. Its disgraceful! The game is not even officially released FFS!!!

So out of respect to them how about you acknowledge their rightful concerns and go fix it. Not flog them off as a 'visual' issue. People have put in a lot of time and money for this.

Classic Big Ant!!!! Every game its the same. No wonder you nearly went bust.

At the end of the day the people cant use their created players that we've put hundreds of hours into making for the intended purposes they've been led to believe they could.

To palm it off as a 'visual issue' as if it doesnt mean anything is poor form.

Youre not understanding it. It does affect our game-playing experience. No one wants to play a game that has a recognised wicketkeeper opening the bowling and a number 11. Simple.

People's hard earned $$$ is going into something that doesn't do what it should. Its disgraceful! The game is not even officially released FFS!!!

So out of respect to them how about you acknowledge their rightful concerns and go fix it. Not flog them off as a 'visual' issue. People have put in a lot of time and money for this.

Classic Big Ant!!!! Every game its the same. No wonder you nearly went bust.

So.....

There is a way to reply and a way to express criticism. You're a bit off the mark buddy.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm disappointed to here about the career mode bug, and the fact that the leaderboards have been a big part of the making of career. Glad to here it's being fixed, but I like to think that offline modes in games are mine to do whatever I like with. A lot of time spent in CA by the excellent developers could be wasted because of that. I don't want to hit M. James, the 65 year old red faced man, to the boundary, and definitely not Chris Rogers or Matthew Wade. I want to hit Mitchell Johnson. If not fixed by the UK release in Early September, I'll avoid career mode for the time being.

I've never really cared about leaderboards online either. Unless you are one of the top 100 players, which is unlikely, I don't think it matters at all.

As a side note, will the balancing affect all online modes? In the t20 blast online competition, we've done a big auction to get the best players. Unless I'm greatly mistaken (please correct if I am- I might have missed a post explaining), doesn't the normalisation mean that it all becomes a bit pointless?

As a side note, will the balancing affect all online modes? In the t20 blast online competition, we've done a big auction to get the best players. Unless I'm greatly mistaken (please correct if I am- I might have missed a post explaining), doesn't the normalisation mean that it all becomes a bit pointless?

I believe that online you CAN normalise the teams.

I think that within a given team players will be better than others, but it will just mean that Australia won't dominate against Canada.

I personally think that no normalisation is required, as long as the teams are made well on CA. If I play as Bangladesh against Australia I want it to be a challenge.

It's the same on NHL online. I choose my beloved Swiss team against NHL teams. I know I'll likely lose and it's tweaking hard but it's a brilliant challenge. Normalisation ruins that.

But, again, I think it's merely an option online.

Why are people overreacting... Ross is not shying away from fixing the issues.... how abt cutting some slack... play other modes, improve on harder levels and then play the career mode!

Why are people overreacting... Ross is not shying away from fixing the issues.... how abt cutting some slack... play other modes, improve on harder levels and then play the career mode!

Yes I think that we need a separate "career mode issues" thread so it doesn't clog up both the general "issues and anomalies" thread and the first impressions thread.

I'd rather hear about some positive first impressions, and there have been many.

Finally, just regarding the fixing the issues, I still think it's odd that BA chose this method of restricting Cricket Academy and Career Mode links, yet now based on the reactions of people who haven't even played the game, is changing it.

Users who are viewing this thread