Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Pretty sure actually enjoying playing the game is the only element relating to replay ability.

----------

Would be awesome if we could configure our own controller settings. Dont know why we cant - most other games you can.

With a controller scheme like this, There is not much you should be able to change here without affecting the gameplay severely and thus playing it a way it was not designed for. You probably should be given the choice to swap the r2 r1 with l2 l1 and right left sticks at most. I believe most sports games barely lets you change even that and most of the time just provides you with alternate settings that fits you better rather than full custom settings.

To be honest the issues we are mentioning arent things that sort of get better with time. The Pro difficulty level definitely has problems that just dont get fixed with time and the fact that Amateur level is just way too easy means that playing Amateur to get ready for Pro is just not going help.

I feel the thing that would make the step from Amateur to Pro difficult is that one requires user-input for footwork while the other one has AI assisted footwork (I think). There is no real way to find a middle ground between the two, and footwork on higher levels of difficulty is the key!

Playing career on Veteran difficulty as a Fast Bowling All rounder.

find bowling easy, but not picking up many wickets, find that lot of the time ball is just passing over the stumps so no (LBWs) or whisker away from the stumps, but tell you what this just exactly what happens to me on Saturday when the cricket season is on so I am having a ball (pardon the pun :)).

I'm find it very difficult batting but I expect that at this level, not making any runs at all, I'm costing my team dearly batting at number 5 :D, but what to do other than improve :D, find the feeling of been in the middle just like real life you need to watch the ball and decide all in few seconds, just awesome as well as been frustrating, again real cricket.

my First impression is that this is a Damn good cricket game, a game which I will play every day because it's so damn satisfying to work hard and succeed just like I hope to do every time when I step on the cricket field, Thank you BIGANT, this is on the way to been a Legendary game if not already is.

(P.S I think if you haven't played real competitive cricket, some of the design decisions will be hard to comprehend, such as how batting and bowling is done, any way just my opinion.)

So correct me if I'm wrong, but are you trying to argue against the fact that if I play at Pro difficulty, that I would get better at it/more used to it over time?

Well yer actually i am. I am saying that you can play on Pro all you want but the main things that are causing problems with batting, such as the fact that premeditating a shot becomes ultimately more hard at higher levels, this can suck if you want to work on constructing an innings, you should be able to block to start off with. Now as i explained before that blocking can only be done by premeditating as its next to impossible to pick up line, then length, then decide if you want to block or not once the ball it is released.

Also the fact that on Pro it just seems more harder to pick the length of the ball. Im hoping its a time thing, in that i will get better as i play.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but are you trying to argue against the fact that if I play at Pro difficulty, that I would get better at it/more used to it over time?

You might get marginally better. I reckon after 50 innings your average will still be under 15.

The learning curve is just way to steep and time consuming. Period.

Career batting...hard? Pfft. :D

sI2biC2l.jpg

Ok guys... so now you're even copping it from HBK! :lol

Next thing you know you'll have Mike getting online with some sort of attitude!

----------

You might get marginally better. I reckon after 50 innings your average will still be under 15.

The learning curve is just way to steep and time consuming. Period.

See above ^^^^^^ why is everyone ignoring HBK? That was his first innings by the look of it.

----------

We can put money on it if you want :thumbs

I'll take some of that action!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Im assuming HBK has had more goes at the game than weve had hot dinners. So technical disqualification :p

^ Im assuming HBK has had more goes at the game than weve had hot dinners. So technical disqualification :p
I've played the game for more than 24-48 hours, that is correct...maybe that's the point?

As much there are problems with the game we should probably recognise how difficult it is to create an entirely new style of gameplay, and how well they've done to make it not terrible.

I'd take a maybe-slightly-too-difficult but revolutionary game over yet-another-pitch-marker-cricket-game where you get 5 seconds to choose your shot and are effectively playing a series of timing mini games.

I don't know why people are finding batting hard!. I am have had couple of knocks in career mode, even though score were not high 13 and 27 respectively, but i scored them at decent rate.

My player is an bowling all rounder and i do get to bowl frequently in the game, however getting the grip of new bowling mechanic is a learning curve but very enjoyable.

I have been playing a tour match vs leicestershire and they are currently on 202-6 of 63 overs, shiv thakor on 72 of 131 deliveries. One thing of note is there are leg side catches as well to keeper and leg slip too.

I think they should look into separating the difficultly between batting, bowling and fielding. I'm finding pro bowling and fielding if anything a bit easy, but even amateur batting is a bit of a struggle. It doesn't help that the AI seems to have picked up a fetish for my leg stump and the AI bowlers seem to be able to catch anything that goes their way.

Personally I really want to be able to play with pro (or harder) bowling, but amateur batting so I can actually get the hang of it. At the moment I bowl the AI out in first class matches for about 80-150 odd, then get rolled for 50ish, mostly caught by the bowler trying to drive or bowled leg stump trying to play through the offside. I'm yet to get caught behind though, and the AI shouldn't even bother with slips if they're just going to bowl at and down the leg side.

I've played the game for more than 24-48 hours, that is correct...maybe that's the point?

Exactly - we need to devote a career and full-time job into the actual game to get half decent at batting.

The average gamer gets frustrated and loses interest after playing for a while and not getting anywhere...

Let me guess, you rolled the opposition taking all 10 wickets

----------

As much there are problems with the game we should probably recognise how difficult it is to create an entirely new style of gameplay, and how well they've done to make it not terrible.

I'd take a maybe-slightly-too-difficult but revolutionary game over yet-another-pitch-marker-cricket-game where you get 5 seconds to choose your shot and are effectively playing a series of timing mini games.

Not questioning this, I think the game style is fantastic. Just needs tinkering with learning curves and some bugs. What Ive got most out of anything from playing it to all hours and feeling like shit the next day at work is that its an awesome foundation for next iterations.

Has so much potential.

Users who are viewing this thread