Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

ive seen them lose their marbles and ive also seen them hold it down at one end for a 100 partnership. IMO in career the trick is to hog the strike. unless you really require the runs the AI scores, give them singles only. minimise their time at strikers end to stuff up, maximise your time to career boost skills

Good point. In short form games (T20/One day) I tend to let them take the strike to get the run rate up. Hell, I can barely hit the ball, much less have the time to hook/glance it for 6 - I'll let the comp do it for me. :D

Many, MANY times I watch the AI batsman pull off some jaw-dropping good shots.. high late cut into the gap in the slips, last night the AI batsman did a cut shot above shoulder height that went over the boundary with only one bounce at about deep long off (I think there was a bit of hook movement involved but was still a pretty straight bat that was just pushed forward), perfect drives through gaps that just motor to the boundary.

My 3 most uttered statements when I play this game -
'Whoops.. sorry AI' (when I get them run out)
'Damn that is a nice shot!'
'You stupid, stupid, STUPID AI.. WTF are you doing?'.

You're right on the whole it is ok. I just find that when it goes downhill it is a real rapid decline and one batsman after another gets out needlessly by smashing the ball in the air. I should have specified in my post that it's not all the time. I wouldn't have been able to make hundreds if it was. When you're 469 runs behind you tend to get a bit antsy!

Edit: It's ok now...I've dug in for 58 off 94 balls and Andrew Hodd is currently 13 not off 34 balls. This is more like it! :)

I'm sure you'll all be thrilled to know that I went on to make 100. Hoddy eventually got out for an obdurate 22 before Adil Rashid smashed a run a ball 50 before playing on. Ryan Sidebottom is now batting for all he's worth and holding up one end.

I'm sure you'll all be thrilled to know that I went on to make 100. Hoddy eventually got out for an obdurate 22 before Adil Rashid smashed a run a ball 50 before playing on. Ryan Sidebottom is now batting for all he's worth and holding up one end.

Middle order slogging out and collapsing and then the tail batting sensibly - this is the common pattern with the AI. You can count on this like the sun rising in the morning.

not gonna "name and shame" as i have already forwarded the message to @MattW and @barmyarmy, but somebody actually private messaged me asking for the download link for DBC... WTF... WT-ACTUAL-F???!!

moron

The Facebook page is rampant with that.
People just keep replying "Wait till early June: a download link will appear on Steam". :yes

Hey guys I just wanted to know, how did BA studio manage to replicate the real names of every player in cricket, starting from County to International teams?? This is just out of curiosity, bcoz when I was playing Ashes 2009 or IC 2010. They were telling that they got license only to use real names for Australia and England teams and all other teams only had fake names. But how come BA can use real names of all the players.

Hey guys I just wanted to know, how did BA studio manage to replicate the real names of every player in cricket, starting from County to International teams?? This is just out of curiosity, bcoz when I was playing Ashes 2009 or IC 2010. They were telling that they got license only to use real names for Australia and England teams and all other teams only had fake names. But how come BA can use real names of all the players.

They are all created in Cricket Academy...So the users created it not BA..Big ants provided all the things required to create those stuffs..So as its created by users it doesnt need licensing...The smartest move...:D

Many, MANY times I watch the AI batsman pull off some jaw-dropping good shots.. high late cut into the gap in the slips, last night the AI batsman did a cut shot above shoulder height that went over the boundary with only one bounce at about deep long off (I think there was a bit of hook movement involved but was still a pretty straight bat that was just pushed forward), perfect drives through gaps that just motor to the boundary.

My 3 most uttered statements when I play this game -
'Whoops.. sorry AI' (when I get them run out)
'Damn that is a nice shot!'
'You stupid, stupid, STUPID AI.. WTF are you doing?'.

Actually, I tried something last night - I replayed my 4 day Warwickshire vs Derbyshire match 3 times (ie. I'd bat twice then go back to XBOX Home and restart the match) and EACH time the match played out roughly the same, particularly with batting (Bell/Trott got either ducks of <4 runs leaving me stranded). Maybe just coincidence but Bell/Trott were/are the backbone of some of country cricket's best batsmen (Bell is currently averaging about 70) so I'd expect a heck of a lot better batting from them. I'm assuming (more like hoping) that BA have adjusted this...I'm sure I read somewhere that @Ross mentioned that the AI was playing a lot better under the new (unreleased) patch #2 . I think its more of a 'wait and see'.

Unfortunately the career mode without any corrections/fixes for AI needs a lot of work (still good though if you can ignore the issues).

The more I play (friends bought me a copy on PS3 which arrived yesterday, so that's two solid days from around 9am to midnight on career mode but I've also played pre-patch with a hired game on the 360), the more I think pro batting _needs_ some kind of feedback mechanism.

I've often got no idea what I've done wrong when I've been given out. At this stage I'm only playing as a batsman - I found pro level bowling a little too easy so I'm trying to learn to bat so I can step up both the levels.

For instance, I just got caught behind trying to flick a ball off my hip. Nothing in the replay gave me any idea whether I played too early, too late or if the ball did something odd off the pitch. It simply looked like I decided to give some catching practice.

This makes learning very, very difficult.

Every now and then I think I've got it sorted, and then suddenly I'm out and often have no idea why.

I've tried batting in the nets, but it's very different batting in the nets to batting with a field - an "ideally" timed shot in the nets might well go straight down a fielders throat, and I've got no way to tell without a fielder.

Still the best cricket game ever (and I started out playing cricket games with Allan Border Cricket on the C64), mind.

Ordered today from Gameseek. Hoping it's going to arrive tomorrow so I can get a good session in on Saturday morning. Excited to get started in the career mode and get my leg-spinning all-rounder career underway!

Watching some random YouTube videos, I was reminded of a potential issue for some people - some TVs have specific modes for playing games, which then minimise processing to try and reduce lag. Perhaps some people having trouble timing things while batting might be experiencing that as an issue.

Some details here.

May not be the reason in most cases, but it's worth checking.

I have just purchased this game off Amazon (in transit now) and have returned to this forum after a few years (ashes cricket 09/10).
Anyone who is playing this game, do you think it was worth spending ?44 ?

Users who are viewing this thread