Don Bradman Cricket 14 PC PLAYABLE NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
see points 4 and 3 for why Oculus Rift is pointless.

I'll take a punt here and say it will be massive. As will many of the other things in those two points. But Rift is not going to be big in games: that's not going to be anywhere near the top of their priority list. Sony will lead that charge instead.

I've been working with a number of companies on games for wearable tech in the past year. I've seen the investment levels (zomg) and the sheer number of developments underway in this area: Once the weight and size of the kit comes down, I guarantee you that wearable tech is going to be *huge* and this article is going to look very silly. ;)

This is required because 2013 became march 2014 and then eventually the next month.

The quote is about any date from the 1st week of june. We shall see.

DBC releasing dates gets shuffled and its reminding me of Sunny Deol's dialouge .......... Tarikh pe Traikh ... Tarikh pe tarikh :p

But Rift is not going to be big in games
they will be for PC games, the only reason sony stepped up their game afterps eye was OR. Technically i feel OR will be ahead of VR but for masses VR will sell more due to console base.
see points 4 and 3 for why Oculus Rift is pointless. 5 Signs the Tech Industry Finally Ran Out of Ideas in 2013 | Cracked.com

not really, these kind of articles are never useful, im sure this guy would have said i dont want to carry a brick around when mobiles were invented.
also he keeps comparing 3d and google AR glasses to Virtual reality.
the experience you get with VR is worth the extra cumbersome efforts unlike 3d.

technology in first iterations is never going to be perfect.

Over time form and size of technologies will reduce, as of now OR and sony VR are in development stages, once they are going to enter consumer market they will surely reduce size and make its form better, other difference between 3d and virtual reality is, it is light years ahead of 3d, its one thing to have an extra dimension, and other to enter a totally virtual world. So even if you have to wear a gadget overhead this is still worth the experience you get.

Last edited:
they will be for PC games, the only reason sony stepped up their game afterps eye was OR. Technically i feel OR will be ahead of VR but for masses VR will sell more due to console base.

Before Facebook bought them, I might have agreed. But their plans for Rift won't be games-related. Unless you count Second Life as a game...

Before Facebook bought them, I might have agreed. But their plans for Rift won't be games-related. Unless you count Second Life as a game...
ah....i should update myself more, so thats down the drain by the looks of it, so much for bringing games to life, i certainly dont like their vision.
What's after Facebook? Oculus Rift CEO says he wants a virtual world with a billion users - Gadgets and Tech - Life & Style - The Independent

----------

is it actually legal to sell a kickstarter firm like that before realising their goals fully, its one thing to go bankrupt, but this is like cheating investors ?

is it actually legal to sell a kickstarter firm like that before realising their goals fully, its one thing to go bankrupt, but this is like cheating investors ?

They are legally obliged to fufill all of the rewards that they promised, but in the case of Oculus there's no suggestion that they are not going to do that (in fact, I *think* they pretty much have already? People have got dev kits etc.)
Side note: remember, Kickstarter donaters are "backers", but not "investors" (because they are not entitled to any financial return).

Either way I don't think you could have spent very long playing a Cricket game with it before serious motion sickness. I can go maybe 10 mins if it's a game with a gentle pace and no sudden moves before the headaches start.
A test-match would not be fun. :)

Investors aren't entitled to any financial return either unless they have preference shares.

OK: not entitled. But most investors would invest hoping to make one, whereas Kickstarter is most clear that this is impossible under their terms. You are a backer, a patron.

Anyways, Kickstarter is dying now too. If you wanted to raise money there, the time was 2012. Too many people used it wrong, too many projects left a bad taste and too much cynicism has developed.

You have to have a really outstanding campaign nowadays for anything over $50k to work. It's a shame, because that pretty much rules out console projects unless you're using it for top-up funding, essentially a pre-order system that lets you finish the game.

I'll take a punt here and say it will be massive. As will many of the other things in those two points. But Rift is not going to be big in games: that's not going to be anywhere near the top of their priority list. Sony will lead that charge instead.

I've been working with a number of companies on games for wearable tech in the past year. I've seen the investment levels (zomg) and the sheer number of developments underway in this area: Once the weight and size of the kit comes down, I guarantee you that wearable tech is going to be *huge* and this article is going to look very silly. ;)

I thought the article maybe was a little over strong, but the general point that most wearable tech doesn't bring much to the table and makes you look a tool into the bargain is certainly correct at this present time.

----------

Also have to add I never thought linking a cracked article would elevate discussion :) bravo @Chief @grkrama @barmyarmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread