Don Bradman Cricket 14 PC PLAYABLE NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i guessed it was a hypothetical, i just wasn't sure if my understanding of the situation was right, and wondered what yours was?

It was just a "best/worst" type scenario whereby 505 would cut their losses and go with a game that's clearly ready to go yesterday, by all accounts and was just gauging if they reached out to Ross would he consider it. Considering the Bradman license is their headline act, it's a nice counter-point to the Ashes License but I imagine if that deal WAS to happen [it won't] it would be incredibly complicated for 505 to get value for money under a secondary arrangement... Then you factor in TrueBlue and yeah, it just wouldn't happen. But an interesting hypothetical none the less...

i see.

i think if they can get it through submissions they will release anything (as was intended in June!) because i don't see otherwise how they could get back a cent.

huge cock up, really.

i am sure ross doesn't need my advice but i say steer well clear of any licenses now or in the future that would have the kinds of restrictions Ashes was going to have. Academy is much better!

Well it's all down to how you negotiate those licenses and what you pay for them, really. They can be a good thing if you have reasonable control and flexibility as they clearly do with the Bradman license... they're a poisoned chalice if they have massive restrictions placed on them, which again, is pretty dumb for a cricket title to make it difficult on the consumer and developer...

well i am assuming there is some restrictions on the bradman license... i am not sure we'll be able to edit the don into playing for ireland, or make him a number 11 rabbit?

well i am assuming there is some restrictions on the bradman license... i am not sure we'll be able to edit the don into playing for ireland, or make him a number 11 rabbit?

Yes, but you can at least create one for yourself in the CA and try to match his records. Failing to do so may result in you being a rabbit at #11

To my mind if AC13 is going to be released in a poor state there is even more reason to get DB14 out as soon as possible.

Don't understand why you would agree to a license based on all the restrictions we're told with the usage and editing limitations for the consumer. It's such a devils deal... Nobody wins, really. We get frustrated with locked-down elements, the creators pay a fortune and spend half the time seeking approvals rather than making a decent game... I just don't see it's worth the money paid, especially for a cricket title. Half the fun for most kids is making themselves then putting them into their national team to play alongside their heroes! If you can't do that, then what's the point... really.

...and there is the nail on the head... what we are told... I seriously doubt that there is a licensing restriction forbidding adding custom players to the squad. I think it's the same old same old... always someone else's fault. In the alternative, if someone agreed to this then that someone should get seriously spanked, hard (unless they enjoy that kind of thing, of course!).

I fully understand not being able to edit existing players, that's entirely different.

----------

You won't be changing anything with regard to the Don Bradman likeness.

----------

To my mind if AC13 is going to be released in a poor state there is even more reason to get DB14 out as soon as possible in the cricket season.

fixed.

The only "importance" of licensing is because of the way it is perceived.

When you think of an unlicensed game, you think of weird football team names like 'The Reds' and 'The Blues'. You think of misspelt player names, and wrong stadiums. You expect something that won't quite feel as 'real'.

I'd say one of the biggest marketing points here isn't the fact you can use the Cricket Academy to create your own players - it's the fact Ross has said it will be extremely easy to download all of the real teams with real players. In other words, immediately after purchasing I can make the game 'licensed' myself. That's not something I've ever been able to do before.

If you can do that, and market it as such, then there is absolutely no point in developers paying for restrictive licenses in the slightest.

Last edited:
You just have to make sure that the player/team creation tools are powerful enough.

Look at NBA 2k - one of the biggest sports games of the last 10 years. The player creator and the team creator are absolutely horrid. Considering the most played mode in 2k is "MyCareer" (aka Be a Pro), the fact that every created player has basically the same face is shockingly bad. I would expect better from PS2 games. Even compare it to FIFA where there is very limited options on their Creation Centre.

What they've created thus far is honestly, one of the best creation suites I've come across in any sports game. If they continue to support it throughout the life of the game with more gear, more shirt variations and more logos/sponsors, then it could really maximise the lifespan of the game.

I'd say one of the biggest marketing points here isn't the fact you can use the Cricket Academy to create your own players - it's the fact Ross has said it will be extremely easy to download all of the real teams with real players. In other words, immediately after purchasing I can make the game 'licensed' myself. That's not something I've ever been able to do before.

"Getting around the need for licensing" is one thing... but I doubt that Ross will be leading his marketing with a quote attributed to him that says "It is extremely easy to download all of the real teams with real players." :)

Heh, yeah. Marketing in terms of countering Ashes' "licensing" feature. :P

"Getting around the need for licensing" is one thing... but I doubt that Ross will be leading his marketing with a quote attributed to him that says "It is extremely easy to download all of the real teams with real players." :)

In the same way that YouTube do not condone material used without license, neither do we at Big Ant Studios.

There is a report button for such content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread