Don Bradman Cricket 14 PC PLAYABLE NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I see a game called Ashes Cricket, I would expect it to be all about the Ashes series.

I would put myself in the category of a casual cricket game player. I've not owned a cricket title since Brian Lara 9something, and only had a few touches of other titles since. I remember considering buying a cricket game a couple of years ago but when I saw the option was Ashes Cricket, I held off as the name suggested Ashes only. I wanted more than just Ashes.

I can't remember what drew my attention to the current titles, but ever since reading the features of Big Ants game has made me a daily lurker to these forums and am anticipating the release.

Yep, exactly like me, and you, and anyone else who has literally nothing to back up what they say. At least I avoid making utterly stupid claims like "no one cares about Bradman'. Presenting opinion as fact is a waste of time and gets us nowhere.

Clearly you missed the point I was making then, maybe I should phrase my opinions so the simple minded can understand

Why don't you say the same thing to MattW and all the others who I've seen a countless number of times post stuff to do with release date which has been "presented" as fact going by your judgement.

Why don't you say the same thing to MattW and all the others who I've seen a countless number of times post stuff to do with release date which has been "presented" as fact going by your judgement.
Go on then.

Go on then.

No I was actually making the point that with his logic no one should ever say anything....

But that isn't the case as he is presumably very selective on who he spouts the "you don't have the facts to back it up stfu" stuff to and is only saying it because he didn't like what I said and actually think's he is in some sort of know how rofl anyway no need to get angry or upset over it, anyway back on topic.

even a casual gamer (not an obsessive cricket gamer)is still a gamer.he wants to buy and play any game.he just won't walk into a shop and pick up something because it's title is great(you know what,today i'll just buy a game instead of a sandwich).he'll have a look at the gameplay video mostly ,just wants to play a particular genre,heard from someone,in fewer cases read a review .so i don't think a title is that significant.if any thing ashes title sounds more restrictive in my personal opinion.i may be wrong.what it does is provide a brilliant marketing option.huge numbers will be informed about the game if marketed during the ashes).a casual gamer might not know or be interested in the details that we do.so that might not have a huge impact.(although i'm still not convinced.any one who buys a cricket video game,wants to play a cricket game imo.i heard how good batman an rpg is so i played it.heard madden nfl is brilliant ,but never bought it)
licences for a casual fan might be something though.hardcore gamers might buy dbc but casual gamers might tilt towards ashes.though useless there is a charm about licenses,just playing with realistic teams,likenesses,stats..

The point of having a name/series on the front cover is to generate interest and for people to pick up the box and then look at the back and then make a decision whether they will choose to spend their hard earned cash on it. Clearly, the Ashes seems to have a short lifespan and will be irrelevant in 2014.

Now, whether Bradman is relevant to everyone is a matter of opinion. Clearly he is greatest batsman of all time. I feel confident in saying that the vast majority of people who follow cricket across the world would be at least familiar with the Bradman name (even my girlfriend knows of him and she actively avoids all things cricket).

Bradman might not feel not as relevant to you as a modern player like Tendulkar, Dhoni or whoever. That's a fair and valid opinion and you are allowed to have one of those. The same point could be made of the relevance to Tiger Woods on the box of a golf game. Or even John Madden. Who is John Madden anyway? Who knows! But we know about Madden football games.

Regardless, if the casual gamer wants to buy a cricket game. They will have a choice between a game that is probably going to be out of date and irrelevant by the time 2014 rolls around* or you pick Bradman 14.

Of course, there is a 3rd option of buying a completely different game because you have no interest in cricket. And if that's you reading this right now, I think you might be lost. Perhaps you are looking for this and got confused.

*presuming the game ever sees the light of day

maybe I should phrase my opinions so the simple minded can understand

Maybe you should just phrase your opinions as just that; Opinions. Instead of sweeping statements like "nobody cares about Bradman" you should say "I personally don't care about Bradman" ...because when you invoke others you generally need to cite examples of "nobody" and/or researched analysis to back up said claims. I would refer you to the announcement thread full of positive support for the title, Ross' reasoning behind the Bradman foundation license and long-term strategic planning involved with the title selection, as plenty of "Someone" that care about the title being a good selection. We will, of course, find out whether or not your nuanced opinion (not factual analysis) is correct in a month when people are buying the title, and all the "nobody" will show up (or not) in full strength (or not) to not support the game because people "don't care" about Bradman.

...either that, or you're wrong.

Good thing is, we'll find out soon enough.

EDIT:

...and for my money, I've always viewed the "Bradman" title as a statement of intent, rather than "look who our licensed player is". I know that's a difficult concept for the young to grasp, but the message that BigAnt are sending is not one of "we have all the money in the world so here's Tendulkar on the cover". The are asserting their belief that this is going to be THE cricket game for cricket enthusiasts, gamers and the public. They are saying we have the balls to believe in this title before you've even played it and establishing both a brand name (Bradman) and a cricketing icon from the past, to bring a new generation of fans the legend of the game in a new medium; Cricket gaming. It's a bold move, because those that "get it" see easily they're putting their money literally where their mouth is. It's a mission statement, more than it is a branding exercise. This is their expectation, they're telling us they're going out to make one of the best cricket games ever, it's right there in the title.

It's not a "Generic" title (Cricket Live), it's not about a current hot player (Insert Whomever Here), it's about what it means to us, the feeling we get of seeing a legend of the game in the palm of our hands when the console switches on, the ability to play as him (or with him) and experience that both physically and emotionally. That's the message they're sending. It's forward-planning and they mean to OWN the sport with that title. It's a tiny step towards establishing a consistent brand that isn't built around a moving goal-post of who's a hot player or what series is popular. It's a brand established around one of international sports most important, most iconic people of the last hundred years, in any sport. ANY.

There's no ambiguity in that title.

Last edited:
I'll just say this. My brother's eyes lightened up when he heard the name of the game as 'Don Bradman Cricket 14'. He loves his things licensed, but Bradman is too big for even him to ignore. When I tell my friends you have an option between Ashes and Bradman, they say its a no-brainer in terms of brand value (and there are marketing guys there too)!

And all of this is in India. So the notion of Bradman being specific to Australia is wrong in my opinion.

*my butt is paining while sitting and reading through your long posts Biggs

I'll just say this. My brother's eyes lightened up when he heard the name of the game as 'Don Bradman Cricket 14'. He loves his things licensed, but Bradman is too big for even him to ignore. When I tell my friends you have an option between Ashes and Bradman, they say its a no-brainer in terms of brand value (and there are marketing guys there too)!

And all of this is in India. So the notion of Bradman being specific to Australia is wrong in my opinion.

*my butt is paining while sitting and reading through your long posts Biggs

Exactly.

Rather 'Ashes' has a regional appeal. No one outside Eng/Aus gives a f*ck to how its played or when its played or why its played. "Bradman stands as a colossus above the rest" to quote some random AC09 commentator (don't remember his name exactly :p ) and it is pretty much true.

Bradman > Ashes in terms of their appeal, is actually a no-brainer!

Exactly.

Rather 'Ashes' has a regional appeal. No one outside Eng/Aus gives a f*ck to how its played or when its played or why its played.

Bradman > Ashes in terms of their appeal, is actually a no-brainer!

You used Biggs' infamous "sweeping no one" there. :rolleyes
You can't be serious, though. Contrary to your belief, some people do exist outside of Eng/Aus who give a f about the Ashes as a cricketing event. You also forget that one of the best ever cricketing games was EA Sports Cricket 97 Ashes Edition.

I think Punk Sk8r probably missed the posts around the time it was announced but there were certainly some "Bradman? Really?" reactions from English fans I know. The title is aimed predominately at Australia but the features on the back of the box are more important to the gamers I know that the license.
I think in the UK without knowing the features most people would opt for Ashes over Bradman in terms of brand.
Doesn't look like it will be a problem anyway as Ashes show no sign of actually having a releasable game.

At least I avoid making utterly stupid claims like "no one cares about Bradman'.

It's true that comment was kind of dumb, but the reality in this day and age is that if a game was fully licences by the ipl it would outsell a don Bradman game by more than I care to think about. It wouldn't mater if the don bradman game was better, it's just a sign of the times. Sad but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread