Don Bradman Cricket 14 PC PLAYABLE NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angad is correct that for most media products like games and books (I am a marketing manager at a very large pure play retailer that sells, among other things, books and games, and I know these facts), "units sold" determines popularity. This is how a bestsellers list is populated, for instance, irrespective of the price of the book.

However, Angad, popularity does not equal success. Success is determines by the developer/publisher's own metrics. On most cases, though, especially for a start up, this metric is "units sold".

If Big Ant want to build a franchise as they say they do, they will be focusing on sales volumes even if that comes at the cost of profits. Most startups are loss making for several years, and require constant funding through the market to survive. Even some huge companies make losses years after their launch (the company I work for being a "prime" example). They can afford to do so because their investors believe in their potential to profit in the future.

I tend to agree in general with the points raised by Pat and Angad. The price seems excessively high in India. I'm not saying it's wrong, because I don't know what Big Ant's success metrics are, but it does raise questions as to Cricket 14's ability to build a franchise in the subcontinent.

----------

Units sold is irrelevant to a start-up product if it's being sold at BELOW COST in some random market. How is this even a discussion point? They're a small developer with big ambitions, they're not EA, 2K, [insert here]. They're a small studio, based in Melbourne putting a cricket product on consoles for the first time 3 years. Success will be defined by money in bank accounts not the amount of discs being sold for $10 in Mumbai....

In most cases it is the exact opposite of what you said.

Also, how do you know what their marginal cost price is? None of us know that so we cannot comment on profitability.

but it does raise questions as to Cricket 14's ability to build a franchise in the subcontinent.

I don't think that is the intention at all in releasing the product there... if the name "Don Bradman Cricket" didn't give that away already. If it's a "franchise builder" of any kind, that will be defined by sales in Australia and the UK.

On topic: can I play with my keyboard and
Off topic: massive last over from Jordan. Papers over the gaping cracks in this team.

Most startups are loss making for several years, and require constant funding through the market to survive. Even some huge companies make losses years after their launch (the company I work for being a "prime" example). They can afford to do so because their investors believe in their potential to profit in the future.

BigAnt have said their "best case" is break even, so fatuous much?

Cricket 14's ability to build a franchise in the subcontinent.

as i mentioned above, the subcontinent is a very minor part of the market for the franchise.

I don't think that is the intention at all in releasing the product there... if the name "Don Bradman Cricket" didn't give that away already. If it's a "franchise builder" of any kind, that will be defined by sales in Australia and the UK.

That could be true, but I doubt that's the way to build a global franchise. If FIFA is a franchise in India, and DBC expects more sales in India than FIFA, then they are aiming to build a global franchise.

Oh Jesus Christ. It's not going to be Fifa. Just stop, please. They're not building a global franchise. They're trying to guage the popularity of the product in India by releasing a few thousand discs and see if they can make a buck or two. Games success will be defined by Australian and UK sales. End of.

Off topic: massive last over from Jordan. Papers over the gaping cracks in this team.
England are masters at this. Expect Jordan to be hailed as the future of English cricket after also taking 1-34 in the second innings.

That could be true, but I doubt that's the way to build a global franchise. If FIFA is a franchise in India, and DBC expects more sales in India than FIFA, then they are aiming to build a global franchise.

10k sales of FIFA in India, marketing guru... nobody builds a global franchise out of 10k sales.

FIFA release there because they have a global reach, and can swallow a lesser margin due to the size of EA.

BA are probably releasing in India because they expect the market to mature over the next few years, and if DBC14 is a success in the other markets, and gets minor penetration in India as it matures, iteration 4 or 5 would be well positioned in a maturing market.

blockerdave = john harvey jones.

Holly crap Ross is here, I better go or he will think I have been talking crap with the rest of you lovely fellows most of the night.:yes

PS Hi Ross.:wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread