Don Bradman Cricket 17 - Cover Revealed!

Origin is fairly functional

Uplay is a disaster

Not according to sales data

For EA games on PS4/XBox One digital sales are only 24%.

Digital games will amount to 30% of all sales on PS4 & Xbox One by end of 2016, says EA | VG247

Not according to EA sales data - obviously THEY sell mostly physical copies because they are crazy mainstream and in every Walmart. Massively skewed.

But, as a whole, we're were up to 46% physical to 54% digital in 2015, and gaining every year. By end of this year it will be 40%/60%.
• U.S. computer and video game sales - digital vs. physical 2015 | Statistic

(You need an account for the full details, including trends, but the headline states the 46%.)

Not according to EA sales data - obviously THEY sell mostly physical copies because they are crazy mainstream and in every Walmart. Massively skewed.

But, as a whole, we're were up to 46% physical to 54% digital in 2015, and gaining every year. By end of this year it will be 40%/60%.
• U.S. computer and video game sales - digital vs. physical 2015 | Statistic

(You need an account for the full details, including trends, but the headline states the 46%.)

That's including PC though? I was pointing out just console data. I know that PC has moved heavily online.

Interesting statistics nonetheless.

That's including PC though? I was pointing out just console data. I know that PC has moved heavily online.

Interesting statistics nonetheless.

Yeah: console is a slower growth, but mainly because of the pricing on digital. Generally you need to pay $15 OVER the RRP on release. Which is obviously ridiculous.

Once people start to lower these, the switchover will be incredibly rapid.

Yeah: console is a slower growth, but mainly because of the pricing on digital. Generally you need to pay $15 OVER the RRP on release. Which is obviously ridiculous.

Once people start to lower these, the switchover will be incredibly rapid.

Any idea why digital is actually more than hard copy? I would've thought that digital could be cheaper, or at least the same price as hard copy. But that's never the case.

Any idea why digital is actually more than hard copy? I would've thought that digital could be cheaper, or at least the same price as hard copy. But that's never the case.

There's lots of reasons, but mostly centered around the worry that, if they were to start releasing digital games cheaper, it would quickly become a race-to-the-bottom in much the same way that iOS has. Whilst *everyone* tows that line they can maintain the higher prices.
Another is to do with having retail copies on the shelves at higher prices than online (meaning they stay on the shelves) - only discounting digital once retail comes down as well.

But there's lots more to it.

Because console manufacturers have a monopoly on digital distribution of console games. They do it because they can, people still pay, and they don't want to demolish their existing retail supply chains with cheaper and accessible digital copies that's beneficial to the consumers.

The same strategy can't be enforced on PC, since there is too much competition. Steam as a platform may have a huge market share, but its keys are sold in a heavily competitive market, with sellers ranging from Steam to other 3rd-party re-sellers sourcing keys from regions like Russia and China which sell the digital keys cheaper than Western prices.

Because console manufacturers have a monopoly on digital distribution of console games. They do it because they can, people still pay, and they don't want to demolish their existing retail supply chains with cheaper and accessible digital copies that's beneficial to the consumers.

The same strategy can't be enforced on PC, since there is too much competition. Steam as a platform may have a huge market share, but its keys are sold in a heavily competitive market, with sellers ranging from Steam to other 3rd-party re-sellers sourcing keys from regions like Russia and China which sell the digital keys cheaper than Western prices.

Where'd you copy and paste this from?

Edit: Some random poster on Gamespot it seems. Would have been interesting to read more from a legitimate source

Where'd you copy and paste this from?

Edit: Some random poster on Gamespot it seems. Would have been interesting to read more from a legitimate source

It's not bad though. follow the money Bernstein. :)

It's way more complicated than that and it actually explains very little.... and Russian/Indian/etc. key are cheaper because of the local economy and exchange rates, nothing to do with the cost of production. The Console manufacturers are always at me to lower prices, almost every week they want me to participate in a sale, they hate the retailers and suffer them because that's where people buy Consoles. Retail is still king.

Everyone wants to pay others like it's India but get paid like it's Australia - if you think that's a thing that can be sustained on a mass scale then I have a perpetual energy machine I'd like you to invest in.

PS: Australia is very, very good at digging up stuff and selling rocks, it's the single reason we pay more for *everything* (including video games) made locally and that our Pacific Pesos have any value whatsoever - nothing to do with the management of our economy. Conversely when the resource markets cool we pay more for everything (it now costs us 1.5 times more than a year or so ago to import anything)*.

*Except from the UK, love Brexit :)

It's way more complicated than that and it actually explains very little.... and Russian/Indian/etc. key are cheaper because of the local economy and exchange rates, nothing to do with the cost of production. The Console manufacturers are always at me to lower prices, almost every week they want me to participate in a sale, they hate the retailers and suffer them because that's where people buy Consoles. Retail is still king.

Everyone wants to pay others like it's India but get paid like it's Australia - if you think that's a thing that can be sustained on a mass scale then I have a perpetual energy machine I'd like you to invest in.

PS: Australia is very, very good at digging up stuff and selling rocks, it's the single reason we pay more for *everything* (including video games) made locally and that our Pacific Pesos have any value whatsoever - nothing to do with the management of our economy. Conversely when the resource markets cool we pay more for everything (it now costs us 1.5 times more than a year or so ago to import anything)*.

*Except from the UK, love Brexit :)

From the UK, at least someone loves it...

Users who are viewing this thread