Don Bradman Cricket 17 General Discussion

...if anyone has some lines they think would sound good after hearing them 1000 times,

"Biggs, all class, all substance, strokes that one hard to fine leg as the ball explodes the boundary"

"That's hit so hard it's going to the carpark where it's going to call an uber to get a resonable rate to the airport and take a flight around the woooooooooooooorld"

If all else fails why don’t we pay someone from the hood to voice over he could say things like “Shit…mother****er cracked that sweet hmm yeah aint no way that bitch coming home now son” or “Yeah you all tweaked now wickets be down coming round all up in my shit” It could open doors to the US market who knows partly I would just like to hear it.

But seriously we need to drop “call the nurse” and “hold the phone” please…

I have eaten one before I didn’t eat it and then suddenly forgot about it I just don’t talk about often I guess.

Do you have a curly wurly related story?

* It went like a rocket to the boundary.
* Edged! Oh my god! He caught it on the second attempt. It was a magnificent catch in the slip.
* Replay: Let's have a look again!
* Top edge! but it's gonna drop short and safe!

Also in regard to anecdotes, I remember a previous cricket game that if you left the controls for a while would go into the odd long story/anecdote. It was amusing to come back in the room and hear them chattering away. Also as it was rare it didn't get annoying. Maybe something similar could be implemented. It could also be sparked off by slow passages of play, with the commentary not saying much about the actions on field for a few deliveries while they rambled on, or intermittently hold a discussion over a few overs about a certain player while calling the game:
" ...thats a good shot for 1 there by Smith," followed by " Sorry Nass, what you were saying before ...."
Also the commentators should occasionally disagree/interrupt each other.

"I was once a swashbuckler but then i got hit in the box" [HASHTAG]#skyrimNevergetsTired[/HASHTAG]

He will flay this attack and flay mercilessly

If we are going to have some local club level matches would like to have some amateur biased commentary for that!

I have always commentary turned off as it doesnt add anything. Commentary has two main goals:

Immersion
Information

For the commentary to be immersive it has to reflect the current match situation. Some games do this really well, talking about a player just returning from injury or the team needing points as they drew the last three games etc. This really adds to a sense of actuality.

To be informative I want the game to tell me, hint to me what I am doing right and wrong and how to adress that: if I keep nicking the ball....he's got to get on the back foot more .... Or if I am bowling too short....on a pitch like this they need to bowl fuller.......then I can try and adjust....

....in this way the two goals of commentary come together: information becomes immersive and immersion provides information.........

....what many people are failing to see is that however enthusiastic someone shouts: he's creamed that for four....it means nothing if not put in context.....whereas: oh he's creamed that for four, first boundary for a while and he needs to push on.....or he's creamed that for four, great shot but risky, no need to chase the ball they have plenty of time.....etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it is something people would class as 'info' - but I'm currently doing some work re-scripting the commentary. If anyone has some lines they think would sound good after hearing them 1000 times, I'd be happy to hear them.

If there's a lot of interest in that, I'll split out a new thread.

'My mother could have caught that in her 'pinny'

'Awww that's just buffet bowling - help yourself - 4/6 runs'

'Back of the net!'

'Cashback!'

'Jack a nackanory!'

'That's gone straight into the bookmakers tent...and out again' (after a 6)

'If (team) don't go on to win from this position, I'll pickle my walnuts'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread