Ed Joyce

Kevin Pietersen's mother is English, therefore he qualifys for British nationality. He completed his four year qualification period and so has every right to appear for the English cricket team.

It should be pointed out that qualification period only applies to England. If he had been born in England with a South African parent, he would not have had to fulfil a residential qualification to play for South Africa.

Some great arguments there from andrew. I know its a bit late in the thread, but if people are saying that the ICC should not allow it then there will be a war I tell you. The main problem players have in countries like Ireland and Netherlands is with the money. They do love their cricket, but in full member nations all cricketers playing international cricket have only 1 job, cricket.

The ICC needs to give more money to the top associates if they expect the game of cricket to really spread. If Ireland had more money they would have more time to practice together and will easily become at least the 7th best ODI team. They did beat Bangladesh and Pakistan this world cup and they came very close to beating England. The main reason for that was the time they spent preparing for the World Cup and also playing in the World Cricket League.

And what Andrew said is right. Does anyone remember Robin Singh? Jehan Mubarak? Robin Singh is probably the only genuine all rounder India had during the mid-late 90s. But he was born in Trinidad!!! He may have spent a good amount of his time living in India, but he is still born and raise in Trinidad.

Mubarak was born and raised in Washington DC, USA. He got into the lankan team only when he went to Sri Lanka to study college.

People seem to have a problem with KP playing for England only because he is the #2 ODI batsman in the world. He may be South African born, but the guy is 50% English. KP could make the cut in any country in the world except for South Africa thanks to the quota system in place. If the system looked only at a person's skills instead of that along with his skin colour, South Africa will be the #1 cricketing nation no doubt.

That's a good point Jerome. Would people dislike the KP situation so much if he wasn't as succesful, good point.

Of course in an ideal world Joyce would be playing test cricket for Ireland but we dont live in an ideal world and Joyce playing for England wont change the fact the Ireland dont play test cricket. In fact half of the Irish side could come and play for England and it still wouldn't change that fact. Players have to do whats best for themselves, afterall its their livelihood. I'd love to see Ireland play test cricket by the way, but its unfair to blame the fact that they dont on players like Joyce.

agreed. the blame is with the ICC and ICU. If the players got paid more they would never leave their country. They aren't greedy, they just want to make a living and they cant do it part time!

It was dissapointing to see Ed Joyce get his nation to the world cup and then play his next match for England. But that is what has happened thank to less money to these countries and more money to boards like zimbabwe.

You talk about the money situation, and obviously cricketers earn far less than footballers, who are on £50,000 plus a week, the top ones anyway, so what would an England International be on a year, in comparison to your average county cricketer, for Surrey or Notts etc?

No one said cricketers in all international teams are millionaires. We cant even think about comparing cricket to football in terms of player salaries. However the complaint many cricketers for ireland and Scotland had was that they were getting paid more playing for county than what they got paid when playing for their country. Going by that it is obvious that county cricketers dont get paid much to begin with in terms of other sports.

The ICC needs to look a little less at the $$ and more into getting more associates to full member status sooner than later. China is talking about Full Status by 2020. This might happen because they have a population of 1B+ and already have a strong sports culture in place. The ICC is doing something by expanding to China, but it seems to me that the ICC is running to where the money is rather than where the real talent already is and can be nurtured quickly.

You talk about the money situation, and obviously cricketers earn far less than footballers, who are on ?50,000 plus a week, the top ones anyway, so what would an England International be on a year, in comparison to your average county cricketer, for Surrey or Notts etc?

I once heard a rumour that KP was on ?400K a year, but then of course he probably makes loads from sponsorships.

Sad to see the days of teams having only full-blooded countrymen in their team are over.

Something no Australian has ever seen. [/playingwithfire] ;)

^That's completely tongue in cheek btw.

It's simple; Joyce should have never played for Ireland if he had ambitions of playing for England. I'm totally against this playing for one country then playing for another. I don't want Saqlain to play for England either.

On his central contract, Michael Vaughan, who is our top earner, as captain I believe is on about 90k from the ECB a year, then he has his singular endorsements and sponsorship which I imagine would probably push it to about 200k a year.

Sad to see the days of teams having only full-blooded countrymen in their team are over.

That has almost never been the case for an extended period, so I don't know what the hell you're on about.

Australia of course would never pick a player born overseas.

Kepler Wessels (South Africa)
Dav Whatmore (Sri Lanka)
Andrew Symonds (England)
G Alexander (England)
Charles Bannerman (England)
H Carter (England)
WH Cooper (England)
AR Dell (England)
JR Hodges (England)
TK Kendall (England)
PS McDonnell (England)
WE Midwinter (England)
HA Musgrove (England)
BB Cooper (Bangladesh)
RHD Sellers (India)
CV Grimmett (New Zealand)
TU Groube (New Zealand)
Brendon Julian (New Zealand)
TJD Kelly (Ireland)

And at Under 19 Level:

Craig White (England)
Alan Mullally (England)
Neil Maxwell (Fiji)
Usman Khawaja (Pakistan)
William Sheridan (England)
Moises Henriques (Portugal)

In all fairness, and this isnt sarcasm one bit! I know Andrew's views pretty well on this subject because he gladly gives them, and trying to argue with him in particular isnt going to work because he has a massive brain has his last post proves, his knowledge (And researching skills) is quite amazing.

In all respects, KP had the chance to play for two countries, he is 50 percent SA, and 50 percent English, he choose England, he is now English, why is everyone disreputing the fact.

If your going to shout your mouth off about KP, Andrew Symonds etc. Why not have a go at the Rudolph saga at Yorkshire which is wrong!

Isn't it funny how the Australians who moan about England picking players born overseas tend to go quiet almost every time I post that list?

Absolutely Andrew, good point mate!

Users who are viewing this thread