Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
We got seperate classes for Calc (two schol classes), Stats, and Physics.
There are two streamed Chem classes when I take it and I'm in the top one, hence I could take Chem schol if I wanted, but I don't want to. Thae actual schol stuff is a tutorial after school, as well as more advanced learning in our class.
I'm good enough to be in the Physics schol class, but it clashes with my other subjects hence I can't take it.
Geo is just an after school tutorial once a week, as there is only 5 - 10 of us doing schol.

I took level one maths is year nine, but then took level two for two years (10 and 11), then normal Calc in year 12, now Calc and Stats schol in year 13.

We got seperate classes for Calc (two schol classes), Stats, and Physics.
There are two streamed Chem classes when I take it and I'm in the top one, hence I could take Chem schol if I wanted, but I don't want to. Thae actual schol stuff is a tutorial after school, as well as more advanced learning in our class.
I'm good enough to be in the Physics schol class, but it clashes with my other subjects hence I can't take it.
Geo is just an after school tutorial once a week, as there is only 5 - 10 of us doing schol.

I took level one maths is year nine, but then took level two for two years (10 and 11), then normal Calc in year 12, now Calc and Stats schol in year 13.

At my school we didn't have separate classes for the schol papers so I had to learn everything that was new myself which was annoying. Chem schol is apparently rather easy if you're good at chem, but since it's your worst subject it's understandable if you don't sit it (the first 3 papers are one price aren't they?)
Shouldn't you be able to do geo schol without having tutorials and all because it's just analysing stuff and writing essay which you should be good at from taking the subject anyway?

My school didn't allow us to do subjects two years ahead, again probably because we did Cambridge...I probably could have got straights Excellences in NCEA Level 1 if I did it in year 9 :p

At my school we didn't have separate classes for the schol papers so I had to learn everything that was new myself which was annoying. Chem schol is apparently rather easy if you're good at chem, but since it's your worst subject it's understandable if you don't sit it (the first 3 papers are one price aren't they?)
Shouldn't you be able to do geo schol without having tutorials and all because it's just analysing stuff and writing essay which you should be good at from taking the subject anyway?

My school didn't allow us to do subjects two years ahead, again probably because we did Cambridge...I probably could have got straights Excellences in NCEA Level 1 if I did it in year 9 :p

Not sure what you mean by "the first 3 papers are one price aren't they".

Yeah, our Geo teacher said that it's no new content, pretty much is all it is is resource interpretation. The tutorials are only like 30 minutes, he just gives us work to practice on, and next lesson we discuss it for a bit.

My year group was the first year group to do stuff two years ahead, before that it was just one year ahead for maths.
Also the top two boys classes (out of about ten boys classes), sit level one general science in year 10, so we can specialize in year 11.

Now the year below me (year 12s) sit level three physics in year 12, and one level three chem paper in year 12.

There is this year 12 at my school, and these are his subjects:

Level three schol Calc (2nd year)
Level three schol Physics
Mixture of level 2 and 3 Chemistry
Level three classics
Mixture of level 2 and 3 English
He also does university maths (which you can the year after you have taken schol Calc)

Like that's just 'F'ed up.

Not sure what you mean by "the first 3 papers are one price aren't they".

Yeah, our Geo teacher said that it's no new content, pretty much is all it is is resource interpretation. The tutorials are only like 30 minutes, he just gives us work to practice on, and next lesson we discuss it for a bit.

My year group was the first year group to do stuff two years ahead, before that it was just one year ahead for maths.
Also the top two boys classes (out of about ten boys classes), sit level one general science in year 10, so we can specialize in year 11.

Now the year below me (year 12s) sit level three physics in year 12, and one level three chem paper in year 12.

There is this year 12 at my school, and these are his subjects:

Level three schol Calc (2nd year)
Level three schol Physics
Mixture of level 2 and 3 Chemistry
Level three classics
Mixture of level 2 and 3 English
He also does university maths (which you can the year after you have taken schol Calc)

Like that's just 'F'ed up.

For us, there was one price you had to pay for the first three papers, so you may as well do three cos it didn't cost extra. After that you had to pay for each extra one you sat. That is pretty skitz. He'll be going to uni next year I presume because there's not much point for him to stay around school... Is the maths course he's doing the Max course at Auckland Uni?

Yeah, the max programme, so are quite a few (like 5 - 10) year 13's, as well as another year 12.

I'm not really sure on the cost, my parents will probably pay it anyway.
I'm just going for three as if you get all three you get $2000 a year for three years, while one is only one $500 payment.
Also I don't really have the time for the other two.

Yeah, the max programme, so are quite a few (like 5 - 10) year 13's, as well as another year 12.

I'm not really sure on the cost, my parents will probably pay it anyway.
I'm just going for three as if you get all three you get $2000 a year for three years, while one is only one $500 payment.
Also I don't really have the time for the other two.

I did that max programme :) It was quite good.

I suppose you could have done a fourth as a backup or something. But I can completely understand why you only did three - I sat 6, got 6 normal scholarships but only got the $2000 a year thing which is rather annoying.

Six. :eek:
We can only take five subjects in year 13.
The best dude at our school last year got two outstandings, and two normals.

CG123 added 4 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

I just got my first exam result back through email, got one achieved, one merit, and one excellence in stats.
Thought I might of done a bit better, considering I answered every question bar one or two with confidence.

Six. :eek:
We can only take five subjects in year 13.
The best dude at our school last year got two outstandings, and two normals.

CG123 added 4 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

I just got my first exam result back through email, got one achieved, one merit, and one excellence in stats.
Thought I might of done a bit better, considering I answered every question bar one or two with confidence.

Well these exams don't count for anything do they? So I suppose when you get your paper back it'll be a good indicator of where you need to practice :)

Most people in my school do four subjects in year 13, some do 5, but it halves their number of study periods. The reason I did six is because maths in cambridge is just one subject - there isn't a separate stats and calc, and because I sat geography without having taken it at school. (I didn't sit history because scholarship history is either NZ history or tutor England which I didn't do as part of Cambridge). I was also hoping to get an outstanding scholarship in at least one of my subjects because that would have boosted me into the $5k a year group.

Well these exams don't count for anything do they? So I suppose when you get your paper back it'll be a good indicator of where you need to practice :)

Yeah, that was with no study as well.
And our teacher got cancer over the term one - term two holidays, so we haven't had a teacher for the past six weeks. :(

I know Calculus isn't hard; it was probably my best subject at school. I just found the paper hard.

Is the other program you're talking about, Endnotes?
Even I've never managed to get word configured to reference the correct way. Harvard referencing is too tough for it :p

Wasn't that hard to configure and stuff.. But I'm still not confident that the references it generates adheres to the Harvard system.

Books and journals are fine, I suck at referencing web sources. Most of the sources don't have an author, and definitely no date. (e.g, a company's "About Us"). Really stumps me at times.

Users who are viewing this thread