Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
Na, 101.

----------

I think I aced the first part of DELNA, and probably got like 90% in the second part.

Like Jono said it's pretty easy.

It's designed for people who struggle with English, like people they've only started learning it in the last year or so, if English is your first language or you've been using it for several years, you'll easily pass it.

It's like 15 minutes long, with no writing, it's pretty much just vocab on the computer.

Vocab, and then 'which word does not fit on this line'

I think English is the first language in New Zealand, isn't it?

I'll be starting this whole Uni lark in October. A-levels are getting to be a drag now, just want to fast-forward a bit!

Last edited:
I just had my first day of uni today.

Accounting looks like it could be a bit of a challenge, but computer science and business seem fine.

Considering I was in the top 44 (IIRC) people in the country in high school stats, my 4th course "introduction to statistics" should be relatively straightforward.

----------

I think English is the first language in New Zealand, isn't it?

English is used by 99.9% of New Zealand in their everyday lives.

Maori and Sign Language are also recognized as official languages though, and Maori would have been around in New Zealand before English, so technically Maori was the first language in New Zealand, but English is very much now in the context you're talking about.

That test is generally for people from outside New Zealand who struggle with English (but everyone has to do it), anyone who can read English should pass it without any problems.

I found it slightly amusing when there was a news broadcast from Christchurch with some of the people helping out down there discussing what they were doing and there was a guy signing next to him.

Accounting should be easy even if you've never done it before...

What do you do in Business 101 though? I didn't have that paper.

My first day was extremely boring. First lecture at 8 which was 2 hours of law in a row. Didn't learn anything really. Then Maths which looks like it could get rather difficult seeing as its been over a year since I've done any maths. All we did in economics was a revision of maths that we'll need in the course :/

What do you do in Business 101 though? I didn't have that paper.

It's just general commerce I think.

There's only one lecture a week, and three workshops, two of which are group based.

I had a three hour gap between 11 and 2, the line for the commerce books was 40 minutes, so that killed quite a lot of time.

----------

BTW do you know if the cricket club has a stall set up, I couldn't find it if they do?

Yea you should have got the coursebooks last week if you were in at uni on Thursday or Friday. I got mine on Thursday and there was only about 5 people in the line.

Surely you could have scheduled your classes better so that you didn't have such a big gap though? I suppose though, you can use that time to catch up with your mates and have lunch.

Not really, I couldn't even take one of the courses I wanted to as it classed.

Hopefully I'll be able to stick a tutorial/workshop in there, as I still have to schedule this communication workshop for business and tutorial/s for stats.

I also got a two hour gap on Wed or Thurs.

Yeah I am having a wonderful time at my first year of high school. Next for me is Music and spit and dribble (Drama).

Exam timetables came out today. Mine is much better than last year when I had 5 exams in 5 days.

3 exams, 4 days in between each, and starting 2 weeks after the start of study leave.

Would have been nicer to begin and finish earlier, but I'm not complaining with that.

Users who are viewing this thread