Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
Anybody do A level PE at their college/sixth form? I'm amazed with how insanely easy it is. I've completed my first module of theory coursework already!

Ha, what a subject, u get to do sport, and get marks for it :p

jah, lets face it, being a football and cricket fan is brilliant, it leaves you options open for both to do journalism, would it be football you'd go for then? I guess thats where the money is although you don't get to go jettin off to Barbados ;)

Yep Football for me, Know much more about Football than cricket :D

I think that journalism is another job, in which there are too many of them and not enough jobs, like most of the media. IT also.

A level PE is shizz. I did GCSE PE and realised then that PE is doss. Well...compared to Maths, Further Maths and 3 sciences anyway.

Yes but who would do those anyway...

A level PE is shizz. I did GCSE PE and realised then that PE is doss. Well...compared to Maths, Further Maths and 3 sciences anyway.

Not really. PE is fun, Maths and Sciences are bore subjects in my opinion. You pick subjects that you enjoy. I don't plan on being a super computer when I grow up so my GCSE in maths is more than adequate to get me a normal job.

jah, lets face it, being a football and cricket fan is brilliant, it leaves you options open for both to do journalism, would it be football you'd go for then? I guess thats where the money is although you don't get to go jettin off to Barbados ;)

Football all the way. Cricket doesn't come anywhere near Football.

Last edited:
Interesting conversation, as being a Sports Journalist is really what I want to do. I've got my English Language GCSE exam in November, and then my Literature next summer. However, if I don't get my target grade in November, then I do my Language in the summer and don't do the Literature. Which one do you think is most important for journalism, Language or Literature?

Also, I didn't take GCSE PE, do you think that will affect my chances?

Interesting conversation, as being a Sports Journalist is really what I want to do. I've got my English Language GCSE exam in November, and then my Literature next summer. However, if I don't get my target grade in November, then I do my Language in the summer and don't do the Literature. Which one do you think is most important for journalism, Language or Literature?

Also, I didn't take GCSE PE, do you think that will affect my chances?

I doubt it. I would expect them to consider English a main priority and you could do anything else. I looked into this on UCAS, and you can do anything at A Level as long as you do English and get a good grade e.g. English, Geography and Business Studies

Language is ore important for Lit but that doesn't mean lit is useless. Treat them both deadly seriously. Half of PE class in college didn't take it at GCSE level so I wouldn't worry about that. You only learn the bare basics in GCSE anyway. A level is more performance based, GCSE PE is more to do with how the body works in sport.

Language is ore important for Lit but that doesn't mean lit is useless. Treat them both deadly seriously. Half of PE class in college didn't take it at GCSE level so I wouldn't worry about that. You only learn the bare basics in GCSE anyway. A level is more performance based, GCSE PE is more to do with how the body works in sport.

That's why it's called 'Sport Science' here ;)

Language is ore important for Lit but that doesn't mean lit is useless. Treat them both deadly seriously.
Yeah, that was kinda my view beforehand. I think it's a good thing I've got my Language in November then, I've got a chance to redeem myself if it all goes horribly wrong! I've done well in my Coursework so far, getting marked at A's and B's.

Trust me, Language is the easiest GCSE you'll get. That could be a naive viewpoint though as i'm just naturally very good at English. One thing I would advise is to take Language at college; It's fantastic. I actually enjoy doing it more than PE at the moment.

Media studies is another vital necessity for a career in journalism. A great subject too. I had to advantage of taking a GCSE of it at year 11; Most of the people in my Media class at college hadn't taken any other level of it before. Quality subject.

Media studies is another vital necessity for a career in journalism. A great subject too. I had to advantage of taking a GCSE of it at year 11; Most of the people in my Media class at college hadn't taken any other level of it before. Quality subject.
I disagree. Media studies is definitely NOT vital for a career in journalism. Nowhere near. English Literature is far more likely to lead to journalism. Media Studies is a mickey mouse subject, with the supply much more massive than demand. Some courses at uni are only 17 hours per week !!

I disagree. Media studies is definitely NOT vital for a career in journalism. Nowhere near. English Literature is far more likely to lead to journalism. Media Studies is a mickey mouse subject, with the supply much more massive than demand. Some courses at uni are only 17 hours per week !!

I disagree. I have been doing Media Studies at GCSE level for more than one year now and I have found it just as challenging and comprehensive as subjects such as English.

I don't see how it can be a mickey mouse subject when there are guidelines for coursework that teachers have to follow. I have done coursework in Advertising, Websites and Film and I am about to do a highly important Practical Production.

Users who are viewing this thread