Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
I disagree. Media studies is definitely NOT vital for a career in journalism. Nowhere near. English Literature is far more likely to lead to journalism. Media Studies is a mickey mouse subject, with the supply much more massive than demand. Some courses at uni are only 17 hours per week !!

Journalism is a media related job. It doesn't really get more obvious than that.

With all due respect to him Lee, Adarsh just seems to be of the opinion that any subject that isn't Maths, Further Maths or any of the sciences, isn't worth doing. Believe it or not, a lot of people don't want to grow up to be calculators, so more creative subjects float their boat more than Maths and Science do. None of my potential career paths involve an extensive knowledge of Pythagoras or how to seperate a compound element.

Last edited:
Thing is about subjects like Media Studies is that they fall into a catagory, because it is Vocational subject by some people it is deemed "not as good," as the old classic basics like English and Maths.

I did Liesure and Tourism, which falls into the catagory, and i know for a fact it isnt no micky mouse subject, its bloody hard work, and you do a lot of hours in school.

The trend is changing, less people are doing Triple Science GCSE and more are getting into the Vocational subject, in which you could be better set up in life than doing a subject like Triple Science.

Doing a Vocational is a lot more hands on and direct and isnt as vague and is more wide regioned than non-Vocational subjects.

BTEC's are the way to go if you go to College! Your more likely to over-take a A Level student in later life due to your "hands on," experience through college, but then again, if you've got equivalent to 3 A Levels in travel and tourism and go up against a A Leveler to try to get a job in a Chemist, id argue the A Level guy would kinda get the job :p

And the conclusion to this is, Media is a great subject, and i love it.

I never said that the Sciences were the only good ones. It's not as obvious as people think. Most people who get out with a Media Studies degree, don't do a media related job! Simply because there aren't enough jobs going around. Every Tom, Dick and everton fan is doing a degree in Media Studies, and Wine Tasting but the fact of the matter is that there is low demand for these at the moment. Compared to the severe lack of engineers, scientists etc.

Also, a degree in English Literature or even History is more likely to get you into journalism than media studies.

Thats because not everyone wants to do Maths, Further Maths and Greasy Maths at A Level. People want to do more active and fun subject rather than sitting there doing sums and friggin paperwork all day.

I never said that the Sciences were the only good ones. It's not as obvious as people think. Most people who get out with a Media Studies degree, don't do a media related job! Simply because there aren't enough jobs going around. Every Tom, Dick and everton fan is doing a degree in Media Studies, and Wine Tasting but the fact of the matter is that there is low demand for these at the moment. Compared to the severe lack of engineers, scientists etc.

Also, a degree in English Literature or even History is more likely to get you into journalism than media studies.

You mention there is a severe lack of engineers and scientists at the moment. The point is, just because there are vacancies in them, not everyone wants to be an engineer or a scientist!

I would not even contemplate a job as a scientist, I would find it very uninteresting and tedious. I want job satisfaction at the very least.

I do, however, wish to become a journalist, even on the Norwich Evening News if it makes me happy.

Good Luck Lee. I think Adarsh just has these ideas, that because he got 10 A*s at GCSE and likes Science that your a social outcast unless you do all the Sciences and Maths.

I want to be a businessman and make a lot of money, and am confident i can do so...i don't need Sciences and Maths for that. Being a Scientist or Engineer would be totally mind numbing, and there are plenty of other jobs which can earn as much money, if successful than as a Scientist.

I had forgotten that Adarsh had got 11 'A*' grades and 1 'B' grade at GCSE. There's another point, not everyone is as intelligent and prepared as you are!

I would be happy with 10 'C' grades, 1 'B' grade and 1 'A' grade in my results next year.

But the point is, even if you get those grades, it doesnt mean you have to do Science and Maths to do anything worth while in this world. Even if i got those grades, i probably won't still go to UNI, because its not what i want to do.

My point is that a lot of people take Media Studies and expect to make it into journalism. Very rarely happens. Most end up unemployed or work as a receptionist or some rather dull career.

Media Studies is not well respected by employers. That's what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying "become a scientist". All I'm saying is that if you want to go into journalism, you'll have a better chance of making it with subjects such as English literature. Media Studies as an A level is even blacklisted by some universities, ie. they don't accept it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5277556.stm

Subjects less favoured by the two institutions include accounting, business studies, film studies, media studies and travel and tourism.
I know not everyone's eyeing Cambridge and LSE, but if these institutions have views like this, it's likely that others will too.

Last edited:
My point is that a lot of people take Media Studies and expect to make it into journalism. Very rarely happens. Most end up unemployed or work as a receptionist or some rather dull career.

Media Studies is not well respected by employers. That's what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying "become a scientist". All I'm saying is that if you want to go into journalism, you'll have a better chance of making it with subjects such as English literature. Media Studies as an A level is even blacklisted by some universities, ie. they don't accept it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5277556.stm

I know not everyone's eyeing Cambridge and LSE, but if these institutions have views like this, it's likely that others will too.

Yes but you are basically putting other people down, just because you got all those A*s. Life doesn't work like that. Just because you got these great grades it doesn't mean you will be a success in life. Life requires a lot of common sense, and a lot of time people who get these bitch ass grades don't have that. Common sense is not in any way common. And you call being a secretary boring, yet being a scientist or permanent calculator isnt?

Secretary might be a boring job to some people, but there are people in life who might actually want to be a secretary.

Like many jobs, someone has to do it. It may just be a starting point, for some people and for others it may be a permanent thing. Whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, i'm working at Tesco. Do I feel my career is fulfilled by it? No, I just need money and shelf stacking is a pretty easy job for 6 quid an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread