Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
Don't you have to do 4, then you can drop one at the end of AS?

You don't have to.
It's just on average most pupils do 4 and drop one.

Don't you have to do 4, then you can drop one at the end of AS?

everyone has to do general studies, but some universities dont count that towards UCAS points, so i tend not to count it

we only have one lesson a week of it, its a bit of a mickey mouse A-level

so im far too lazy to do 4 and a half A-levels

O right, well at my school everyone has to do a full 4.

I am at a loss as to what to do for A Level. I am in year 11 and do 11 GCSEs and have done a compulsory RS Short Course, achieving an A*.

Eng Lit.
Eng Lang.
Maths
Add. Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
IT
German
Geography
History

I am pretty confident of As (and A*s) in all subjects and possibly a B in IT or an English subject, but coursework would take me through that.

We get the choice of any of these subjects (Add. Maths --> Further Maths), Geology, Politics, Business Studies or Economics for AS and A level. However, I really really don't know what AS Levels to choose nor what career path to go into.

Basically, I would not mind going into Cricket Coaching as I feel I am knowledgable in cricket and can impart my wisdom to help others, I would no doubt enjoy that. Would I need to do Biology for that though? I am extremely kack-handed (excuse my SE London terminology) and may screw up many-a-practical in A Level Biology!

As you have seen by my articles, I would also love a career in journalism but it seems that former cricketers are "in" and plain ol' journalists are "out". I hope this newspaper trend would not extend to sites like Cricinfo which would be a secondary choice anyway. My personal preference though would be to work in a team where I can meet friends and stick with them.

The whole year had a career test and my top job came up as solicitor and second was teacher. I would also love to teach but our teachers (at an extremely expensive private school) always complain about how little they earn. Sounds like a good thing to do for two-three years to feel into independent work but definately not a permanent choice.

I love making speeches but need a little while to prepare them. By all accounts, they are hilarious and once I got a round of applause just for one joke in the middle school lecture competition. "Babies experience more REM sleep than older people...infact, if you were to ask a baby if he had large periods of REM sleep he would say..."Yes, yes I do".

Any advice?

Erm...it's hard to go into cricket coaching as a profession, unless you have a decent cricketing career of your own. Even then not many people make it big at cricket coaching. You need to go for other careers, and you can do cricket coaching as part-time. If and when you're popular at that field, you can go into it.

If you want to do journalism, take English literature. Possibly language, but definitely literature.

Whenever I think of English Literature, the works of William Shakespeare pops into my mind. I am easily tired of such aged and over-analysed texts and I don't see how it is going to have any revelance to a job in print journalism.

College is a place where you can escape from compulsory education and get the chance to do subjects you really enjoy.

Exactly Lee, Shakespeares sucks, i hate it.

Cricket coaching is more of something you can achieve outside of school. Do your ECB level coaching badges, I managed to sneak my level one in last winter just before they changed the age to 18, and it's really the own way to gain any qualifications to go further.

The structure is;
ECB Level 1 > ECB Level 2 > ECB Level 3 > ECB Level 4 (Only done once a year with around 4 people trying to qualify) > Domestic coaching certificate > International coaching certificate.

I do believe there is another level or two after those, but after the domestic one you can hold a coaching role as head coach of a first class county and the international one obviously translates into enough qualification to become an international coach, so they're not done by many.

Hmmm, Shakespeare aint a bad guy. His plays are good!

Cricket coaching isn't for me. Football coaching is however, I can't remember what level i'm on though because i'm stupid.

Exactly Lee, Shakespeares sucks, i hate it.

Obviously you can think what you want, but Shakespeare was a genius. I hated him originally last year, but as I got older and more mature, I could see some really great work he has done, like Hamlet and The Tempest

Yes but i just don't like living in the past. It bores me, all this old english crap. I know he was a genuis, but he was a genuis centuries ago, so i don't enjoy looking at his work.

Users who are viewing this thread