Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
This year we've been reading a lot of dark literature and I can comfortably say it's changed my outlook on education and its utility. I've certainly become more rebellious and have constantly asked questions of the system I'm forced into. These books include No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre, Blindness by Jose Saramango and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. I want to become a writer as well, maybe I'll take a gap year after graduating. In fact, I've already started writing my book. Sad, I know, but I've had to re-evaluate the importance of certain things.

I've been doing a load of practice GCSE papers on various revision websites, are they really that easy?...apart from maths, but i suck **** at that.

A levels though, they are damn hard. Apart from Geography and IT.

Last edited:
I've been doing a load of practice GCSE papers on various revision websites, are they really that easy?...apart from maths, but i suck **** at that.

A levels though, they are damn hard. Apart from Geography and IT.

Think of it this way. GCSEs you have *are supposed* to revise for around 11 subjects. They need a way so even the idiots can get C's. Basically if you have much intellegence getting more than one below grade C would be a massive dissapointment.

A levels are 3/4 subjects you study all week every week excluding holidays. The exams may look harder but you should be more knowledgable because of the study length.

So it is already what you said Lee. If you don't like maths, you shouldn't have ever taken it from O levels onwards.
I had no choice. This is the first year I've been able to drop it. I HAD to do it for 11 years.

Well, see, that is your school's fault. Our school insisted on maths as O level because all colleges needed it, but if we argued enough and got parental support, we could drop it, or do Core, which is far easier and less time consuming.

I had no choice. This is the first year I've been able to drop it. I HAD to do it for 11 years.

I agree with the system. Not having GCSE level maths will make it impossible to get a huge number of jobs - I think it should remain compulsary to stop kids who find it difficult putting a huge limit on their future simply because it's easier in the short term than working hard at maths.

I hated GCSE english, but wouldn't have dropped it even if I had the choice. It's an investment in your own future.

Well, see, that is your school's fault. Our school insisted on maths as O level because all colleges needed it, but if we argued enough and got parental support, we could drop it, or do Core, which is far easier and less time consuming.
It isn't my school's fault. It's the law. EVERY pupil in England has to do Maths for 11 years and we had no choice to drop it or not.

Well then it is your governments fault! :p

All though, to be fair, Maths is more about teaching you problem solving than actual calculus and algebra. Many business schools require maths even though you aren't likely to do trigonometry while your there, just because being good at maths shows how apt you are at dealing with logical problems.

A government is stupid if it allows its future workers to not have basic skills.

Last edited:
Basic skills do not include crap like algebra, calc or trig. Basic skills are addition, subtraction, division and multiplication.

Basic skills do not include crap like algebra, calc or trig. Basic skills are addition, subtraction, division and multiplication.

Why have you got such a problem with maths? What is it you want to do in the future?

Why have you got such a problem with maths? What is it you want to do in the future?
First things first, I want to say I don't have a problem with maths. I know you are studying something maths related at university and I respect you for that. Your aspirations most likely include it.

That, however, is what you have chosen to do. I didn't enjoy maths, and I wasn't particularly good at it. I got a grade C in it at GCSE (which isn't the end of the world). It is just that I had rubbish like algebra, calculus and trig (would spell it in full if I knew how) rammed down my throat when I can't think of a single instance of when I might use them. Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division is what is needed for everyday life.

First things first, I want to say I don't have a problem with maths. I know you are studying something maths related at university and I respect you for that. Your aspirations most likely include it.

That, however, is what you have chosen to do. I didn't enjoy maths, and I wasn't particularly good at it. I got a grade C in it at GCSE (which isn't the end of the world). It is just that I had rubbish like algebra, calculus and trig (would spell it in full if I knew how) rammed down my throat when I can't think of a single instance of when I might use them. Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division is what is needed for everyday life.

Many subjects go far beyond the scope of what is 'required' for everyday life. English teaches people more than simply how to read and write - reading novels? Studying poems and plays? Should this only be taught to those who want to learn it? I'm not sure.

I think all GCSE's are aimed at taking the study in a particular subject further - I certainly couldn't study Physics at Uni without GCSE maths (although I might give it a shot without GCSE physics :p), so in that sense GCSE's are fine. I don't think it's unreasonable for the government to expect everyone to attain that standard, moreso for what it means - if you are at college or sixth form now, I bet you needed GCSE Maths and English to get in there. If you want to go to university, likewise. Most jobs will require it. If the government allowed you to drop it any earlier it would be to the serious detriment of your future.

On a side note - calculus in GCSE? Are you sure?

I'm sure I did something like calc. I can't remember what exactly. Something like that.

I am at sixth form and I wouldn't have been allowed in if I didn't get at least a C in English (AB), Maths (C) and Science (CB).

So GCSE Maths can be viewed as a means to an end if nothing else.

Do you know what differentiation and integration are? If not, you haven't done calculus.

You'd like it though, it very useful ;)

Users who are viewing this thread