Education Thread

Who are better? Male or female teachers?

• Total voters
Calculus is a right pain! Just finished it in AS Core 1, waiting to see why the hell we do it, and where it is useful. Keep hearing stuff on how I should know this like the back of my palm for further physics, so I've been paying attention, but still don't get why we do it or what the reasoning behind it is.

And Lee, O level maths was pathetically easy. The only difficulties arose when the questions were phrased in a strange way, or you needed to you your common sense to decide which two methods to use to solve an odd problem. It was all common sense, most kids struggled cause they didn't understand what the question asked. Even now, kids who get the methods can't do the test work because they don't know what is asked of them. These are the kids who need everything spelt out for them and struggle in a lot of subjects. A good grade in GCSE maths shows you are capable of independent thinking and problem solving, a skill needed in pretty much any job.
And you needed like 70% to get an A, it was that easy. And Trig and Algebra are all very basic anyways. The only tricky thing was when it got complex (where all you needed to do was break it down to simpler steps and do it, problem solving again), or Transformations (which was logical thinking once again, albeit difficult). Sequences, direct/indirect numbers, statistics, graphs, they are were incredibly simple. Very basic. Oh, and calculating interest gained is hugely helpful in everyday life when you get a bank account or are taking a loan or such.

Things get tricky in AS level though. That's when it is tough, no more simple logical stuff, but hardcore maths...

Things get tricky in AS level though. That's when it is tough, no more simple logical stuff, but hardcore maths...

It is a big jump when you first make it. Looking back now, I find it really difficult to work out what was difficult about it - I'm hoping the same will happen with the stuff I'm doing now.

I have my C1 exam in Jan. I want a 100 percent in it, but I've struggled a bit in class. I've revised the portion again, it doesn't look so tough, but I am nervous. I don't want to do a re-sit. I think we aren 't used to the lack of practice, we used to have 3 years to do the same stuff over and over again and improve. It is more intense now. I'm hoping I don't crack and mess up by the time the real exams start, I have a nasty habit of usually doing poorly in class on purpose to find out why certain things have to be wrong. Worked in O levels, where I found out the right way to do everything and applied it in the boards, but that was over three years. I don't have nearly that much time or practice before the exams. Guess a lot of self study is in orders, another thing I'm horrible at :p

Calculus is bliss Zorax. Whatever you hear about it is right. I know because I use it now. I think you can trust me on this one, you'll notice its magic later when you start doing advanced physics and even chemistry to some extent. :)

Basic skills do not include crap like algebra, calc or trig. Basic skills are addition, subtraction, division and multiplication.

Algebra can be very useful actually, you just don't know when you are using it. Working out something when you don't know a figure is quite common in a lot of businesses, especially if you are doing Budgets.

Trig? Can't say I think it's that complex, certainly not too much for GCSE level.

Something I wrote on Digital Spy:
Let me just say this first - I know it would be stupid to make decisions based on what I am told on here, but I am just looking for some advice from people with experience.

I have been doing my A Levels since September. It is only November now but I am already being told to look at signing up to UCAS for universities. I am not actually set on going, that is the thing I am concerned about.

I tend to achieve more in subjects that I enjoy. In Media Studies last year in GCSE for example, I got a B grade, joint highest in the school, but in Statistics I got a D grade. So one thing is for certain, I would go to uni for something I enjoy, not for the degree that would get me the highest paid job.

Looking at courses, I am most interested in Sports Journalism. I have wanted to write for a newspaper for as long as I can remember, it is just something I have always dreamed of. I have heard of a few people that have done it and they loved it, but they haven't yet got jobs in it.

I am also very attached to my local surroundings. Norwich and Norfolk. I couldn't imagine going to somewhere up north for my studies and not coming home for months at a time. I've been moaned at for this ('go to the best uni, not one that is close to home') but it is how I feel. Obviously the University of East Anglia is close and it has a fledgling media scene.

The thing I am most worried about is missing the whole experience. If I don't go, I will regret it, I know I will. No one in my family has gone to uni before.

So what I am looking for is for someone to say they had similar feelings to me, went to uni, and how it turned out.

If anyone wants to know I am doing AS Media Studies, Applied ICT, Psychology and Sociology.

It's not that I find maths difficult...it's just not interesting to me. It must have something to do with my interest level because I'm a lot more enthusiastic about the maths we do in Physics.

I agree with you. I'd rather be doing Physics than Maths or Chem, even though it is basically numbers in all three subjects at the moment.

Something I wrote on Digital Spy:

From personal experience, not going to uni is really shooting yourself in the foot. It doesn't matter if it is Oxford or Telford. You'll still have a great time no matter how high it is in the standings. Remember, everyone else is in the same boat as you and are all terrified. However, by the evening of the day you arrive, you'll be knocking back those beers and having a great time. I know I was :cool:

If you don't go to uni, yes you won't have any debt, but in the long-run those coming out with good degree's end up earning more then those who decided to miss it. I came very close to not going to uni. M&S offered me a superb chance of doing their managerial training, where I would be payed, plus my salary from my job. Yet I turned it down, because I would be locked into a contract with them and also because I wanted the uni experience and maybe do the manager training once I qualify.

Mate, uni is so brilliant. I can't describe it in words for you. You would be really missing out if you didn't come. Uni isn't for everyone, but I have yet to meet a person who has dropped out of uni and hasn't regretted it.

Hope that helps :)

Debt from student loans is completely different from any other kind of debt. So much more secure and is paid off in a completely different manner. I'm sure you know that Tom, but I dont think many realise it who don't know how student loans work.

Colin, have a re-read ;)

It is a big jump when you first make it. Looking back now, I find it really difficult to work out what was difficult about it - I'm hoping the same will happen with the stuff I'm doing now.

I must say that I am finding AS Maths OK, and not too much of a jump, but that's because I did Additional Maths (FMSQ) last year, which I *really* struggled in (ended up with a C, which is alright, after being predicted an E for most of the year) and the AS is a lot slower than that, and there is nothing in there yet (just C1 so far) that I didn't attempt first last year. Now, looking back on it, Additional Maths has actually been a great help to me even though I thought that it was infuriatingly tricky in May/June time.

I'm finding AS maths alright, it's just a case o going over the stuff before exams and making sure I know it. Got loads of media to do for Friday and the one day I decide I need photoshop is the one day my computer gets aids. :mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad

I must say that I am finding AS Maths OK, and not too much of a jump, but that's because I did Additional Maths (FMSQ) last year, which I *really* struggled in (ended up with a C, which is alright, after being predicted an E for most of the year) and the AS is a lot slower than that, and there is nothing in there yet (just C1 so far) that I didn't attempt first last year. Now, looking back on it, Additional Maths has actually been a great help to me even though I thought that it was infuriatingly tricky in May/June time.

I did the full maths GCSE in year 10 and straight into AS in year 11; it was a nightmare. Such a big jump. I got a D, retook it in year 12, and it was nice and easy :p

Users who are viewing this thread