Emile Heskey Recalled to England squad

PhilD123

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Rooney is a better player than Heskey though by far. Why does the midget Owen still deserve a place in the side after not doing anything since those two games and being injured for about 3 years before hand?

Heskey is a donkey, in terms of you hit it up to him, he flicks it on, he stays there and does nothing else. Shown up when he went into a half decent team and has one off decent games.

PhilD123

International Coach
Owen and Heskey can't be relied upon though, by this I mean more that they are both injury prone, surely England's two main strikers can't afford to be out of action all the time.

Rooney gets the odd injury from time to time, but not half as much as them two.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Owen's too injury prone and he's lost a lot of that edge that made him a world class striker all those years ago. He isn't a world class striker anymore and he only gets into the England team on reputation these days, There are better strikers in the country.

Sureshot

Executive member
Heskey over Rooney?

Depends. If Owen gets in the squad then yes. I think Heskey and Rooney could be quite a decent partnership. It does depend on who the other striker is.

Heskey and Owen is better than Rooney and Owen. I think Agbonlahor will play a big role in the coming year. Heskey and Agbonlahor maybe?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I think Owen deserves his place as he is the only real proven quality finisher we have, Rooney misses too many good chances for my liking (especially for England).

Maybe Rooney could be given a deeper role, I don't think he plays at his best as a main striker, he was better at Euro 2004 when he was making surging runs from deep.

We can't afford to play people just because they are better individually though - it's how they link up and understand each other, this is particularly important with the front two.

I still think Dean Ashton, Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor deserve to be playing for England more often...

Let's hope Capello's got that through his head about Rooney.

Animator!

School Cricketer
Rooney plays best off a striker, as more of a playmaker type of guy just behind the front one or two but ahead of the midfield. It's just that he's always been perceived as a striker because he scores lots of goals, but it isn't the case. However, as the England side, we'd struggle to be able to get away with two strikers and then Rooney behind them, one striker with Rooney behind would also be troublesome as if that one striker is Owen it wouldn't work at all since Owen has no pace anymore.

Sureshot

Executive member
Owen and Heskey showed last season that their partnership is still the best available. Even with Michael in his current form. I'm not convinced by Rooney at international level. Mind you, I'm not convinced by most of the team.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Of all the players you're not convinced by Rooney?

We were shocking. I thought the Capello era was going to make us into a decent team, but it's just the same as the Sven era. The England team lacks passion, detirmination and any flair. We don't have enough decent strikers, this is proven by Heskey's inclusion in the team. Defoe's massively over-rated, he has a poor international record, yet continually gets a chance. Crouch only performs against the crap teams. Heskey is crap. Owen is constantly injured. Rooney isn't an out and out striker, hence the lack of goals, he needs a partner.

We also need to realise that both Lampard and Gerrard can't play in the same team together. Gerrard's the better player, so should be picked. We just keep playing Gerrard out of position and it doesn't work. Capello seriously needs to make some big changes, both to the personell and to the mentality of the team. We were shite last night.

My team would be:

---------------------------------James/Green-----------------------------
----Richards----------Terry-------------------Ferdinand--------Cole--
-----------------------------------Barry-------------------------------------
----------Bentley-------------------------------------------Young--------
----------------------------------Gerrard-----------------------------------
------------------------Rooney------------Owen--------------------------

Rooney needs a partner, and no matter what anyone says, Owen's still the best out and out striker we have. He may have lost abit of the sharpness, but he's more than capable of scoring alot of international goals. Gerrard gets an attacking midfield role, and has the freedom to go forward, knowing that Barry will sit in behind him and support the back 4. You then have the 2 best English wingers in the Premier League, in Bentley and Young. Beckham proved last night that he's past it.

The back 4 and keeper then pick themselves for me. No better back 4 than that when available, Brown and Neville don't offer the attack flair of Richards anyway.

At least we'd get to see an attacking England with abit of flair with that team. I'd then consider Agbonlahor up front if Owen is struggling, and then Walcott provides another option on the wings if an injury occurs. We just need to start playing some proper football, and not try and stick to the international standard of trying to pass the ball around and play boring football. We need to be positive to win games, and I think we would be with that team.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I didn't think England were too bad on Wednesday, we were playing the Czech Republic who are better than us.

Users who are viewing this thread