World XIs - Europe, South America, Africa

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
BBC - Piers Edwards: Africans in European football: the best of 2010-2011?

Some interesting choices for an African team of the season. I haven't been following Serie A lesser teams progress that much. But if Morocco's Mehdi Benatia is being called the 'Moroccan Maldini', that certainly a massive compliment.

----------

Mine:

Van Der Sar
Alves David Luiz Thiago Silva Marcelo
Yaya Xavi Ozil
Messi Gomez Ronaldo

Can't believe I have an all-Brazilian defence. :eek:

The bolded are very questionable selections my friend.

JBlues08

Club Captain
Absolutely not. They have done very well last season and fully deserve to be in the World XI.

I supposed you considered Luiz's form for Benfica as well before he joined us when you selected him for your World XI?

War

Chairman of Selectors
Absolutely not. They have done very well last season and fully deserve to be in the World XI.

No doubt they had good seasons. But thats why i always pick squads with the notion "form is temporary - class is permanent" as they say in cricket. Since some players may just have a season of good form & may be the same next season. While your proven longstanding stars who have stood the test of time, should always be picked unless their form has dipped significantly (such as Torres or Pirlo)

No doubt Luiz & T Silva had very good seasons (Luiz probably more so before he went to Chelsea, since & Chelsea he was hit & miss). But i dont think it would be fair rate them as better defenders ahead of old stalwarts such as Lucio, Ferdinand, Puyol when picking your centre-halves in a world XI.

Marcelo probably had his best season for Madrid this year. But im still skeptical about him defensively. He still has a long way before he is considered world XI quality in the left-back role. Evra or Ash Cole still are the best LBs in the world.

Cant see how you could pick Gomez regardless of what he has done this year over Villa or Eto'o to partner Messi/Ronaldo.

Plus although i can flex with Ozil being an XI. Dont think Sneijder has lost anything this season although Inter didn't play will, for him not not still be an automatic pick in a world XI.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
No doubt they had good seasons. But thats why i always pick squads with the notion "form is temporary - class is permanent" as they say in cricket. Since some players may just have a season of good form & may be the same next season. While your proven longstanding stars who have stood the test of time, should always be picked unless their form has dipped significantly (such as Torres or Pirlo)

No doubt Luiz & T Silva had very good seasons (Luiz probably more so before he went to Chelsea, since & Chelsea he was hit & miss). But i dont think it would be fair rate them as better defenders ahead of old stalwarts such as Lucio, Ferdinand, Puyol when picking your centre-halves in a world XI.

Marcelo probably had his best season for Madrid this year. But im still skeptical about him defensively. He still has a long way before he is considered world XI quality in the left-back role. Evra or Ash Cole still are the best LBs in the world.

Cant see how you could pick Gomez regardless of what he has done this year over Villa or Eto'o to partner Messi/Ronaldo.

Plus although i can flex with Ozil being an XI. Dont think Sneijder has lost anything this season although Inter didn't play will, for him not not still be an automatic pick in a world XI.

My World XI is based purely on performances and impacts in 2010-11 alone. Otherwise Iker Casillas and Gianluigi Buffon would still be the obvious choices for GK.

Based on my criteria I therefore can't have Lucio there because he is to be blamed for Inter's horrible defense this season (he is their defensive leader on the pitch). Villa's form has been very inconsistent, while Gomez has been very prolific. Ofcourse Villa is more lethal on a given day, but Gomez will score more goals over the course of the season.

Sneijder too has been inconsistent, while Ozil kept providing pass after pass after pass, assist after assist after assist.

Thiago Silva not only has had a good season, but has shown that he is actually a very strong CB. AC had the best defensive record in Serie A, and a lot of that was because of Silva. Puyol and Ferdinand have been out for considerable amount of time to not be considered.

I think the modern day full backs are required to be strong in attack, and capable in defense. Marcelo has improved his defensive game this season, thanks to Mourinho and Karanka. Ashley Cole is over-rated. Never been the same player since his Arsenal days. Evra was my second choice - rate him very highly.

Last edited:

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
------------------------------------------Buffon----------------------------------------

Abate----------------------Puyol-------------------Vidic-------------------Marcelo

---------------------------Y Toure------------------Xavi-------------------------------

------------------------------------------Guarin-------------------------------------

Ronaldo----------------------------------Messi------------------------------Falcao-----

----------

Manager - Andre Villas Boas
Captain - Xavi

Subs

Van der Sar
Dani Alves
Abidal
Ferdinand
Iniesta
Krasic
Sneijder
Ibrahimovic