England 23-Man 2010 World Cup squad (Possible)

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I wouldn't go with 2 goalkeepers because losing two goalkeepers to inury in a quick space of time isn't unheard of.

I wouldn't take Downing either, but every England manager seems to have Downing Syndrome (He looks good in training but rubbish on the pitch).

Personally, Joe Hart would be my pick for goalkeeper.

You sure about that sir?. I dont recall ever hearing about a team losing 2 GKs injured going into a major tournament. But reason i'll leaning on the idea og just 2 GK's is that we are really scraping the barrell ATM.

Ok Hart is the form man & lets hope to god he maintains this form between now & July since its a remote possibility he could decline too. Green is the current # 1, but he prone to faults. Do we really need a 3rd option?

The 3rd GK seems even more of wate IMO, because i think we need 5 strikers. I would add Owen to the group of Roooney, Heskey, Defoe, Crouch/Bent.

On Downing yea thats true. But i think Capello has seen past his "looking good in training syndrome" to be honest. If Gerrard is starting on the left in the best ENG XI, Downing really wont be needed as i mentioned before as back-up, when you have J Cole in the squad as well.

So instead of Downing, pick Walcott in his place presuming Theo can stay fit & get back close the form of 4-1 win in Zagreb before the season is out.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Well, aussie, my squad would be:

David James
Joe Hart
Robert Green

Glen Johnson
John Terry
Rio Ferdinand
Ashley Cole
Phil Jagielka
Matt Upson
Wayne Bridge

Steven Gerrard
Frank Lampard
David Beckham
Gareth Barry
Joe Cole
Aaron Lennon
Theo Walcott
James Milner

Wayne Rooney
Jermaine Defoe
Peter Crouch
Emile Heskey
Michael Owen

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well, aussie, my squad would be:

David James
Joe Hart
Robert Green

Glen Johnson
John Terry
Rio Ferdinand
Ashley Cole
Phil Jagielka
Matt Upson
Wayne Bridge

Steven Gerrard
Frank Lampard
David Beckham
Gareth Barry
Joe Cole
Aaron Lennon
Theo Walcott
Ashley Young

Wayne Rooney
Jermaine Defoe
Peter Crouch
Emile Heskey
Michael Owen

Ha, oh ye i remember you. I come in peace :laugh

- Not a fan of James going. Wont repeat that.

- I know your position on Jaigelka. I dont really rate him as a international quality centre-half. I would pick Campbell infront of him presuming Sol impresses for the gunners this season.

But isn't Big Phil out for the season?. So i think he is unlikely to be in consideration still.

- Milner is in front of Young. I'm not sure that Capello rates Young that highly TBH. Interesting to see you left out Carrick.

- Good to see you are in the Owen camp though :thumbs

themuel1

International Coach
You sure about that sir?. I dont recall ever hearing about a team losing 2 GKs injured going into a major tournament. But reason i'll leaning on the idea og just 2 GK's is that we are really scraping the barrell ATM.

Ok Hart is the form man & lets hope to god he maintains this form between now & July since its a remote possibility he could decline too. Green is the current # 1, but he prone to faults. Do we really need a 3rd option?

The 3rd GK seems even more of wate IMO, because i think we need 5 strikers. I would add Owen to the group of Roooney, Heskey, Defoe, Crouch/Bent.

On Downing yea thats true. But i think Capello has seen past his "looking good in training syndrome" to be honest. If Gerrard is starting on the left in the best ENG XI, Downing really wont be needed as i mentioned before as back-up, when you have J Cole in the squad as well.

So instead of Downing, pick Walcott in his place presuming Theo can stay fit & get back close the form of 4-1 win in Zagreb before the season is out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
We won't use 5 Strikers. Club sides very rarely use that many. 4 would be fine. Rooney up on his own would be fine.

As for the Gk's, I can't think of a major tournament where thats happened but it happened at Chelsea with Cech and Cudichini in the same game. It's not unheard of.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Ha, oh ye i remember you. I come in peace :laugh

- Not a fan of James going. Wont repeat that.

- I know your position on Jaigelka. I dont really rate him as a international quality centre-half. I would pick Campbell infront of him presuming Sol impresses for the gunners this season.

But isn't Big Phil out for the season?. So i think he is unlikely to be in consideration still.

- Milner is in front of Young. I'm not sure that Capello rates Young that highly TBH. Interesting to see you left out Carrick.

- Good to see you are in the Owen camp though :thumbs

James is still the deserved number 1 AFAIC. Think he's done a solid job for England of late, and deserves to be in the squad at least.

Nah, Jagielka's still due back pretty soon from what I've read. I've definitely not heard anything about him being out for the rest of the season. Even if he's only back for the last couple of months he's in my squad. Biased Evertonian you see. :p

Ah yes, forgot about James Milner if I'm honest. I'll edit and stick him in there in place of Young. As for Carrick, for me it was between him and Beckham, and I'm a big Beckham fanboy, so Becks is in my squad. Don't rate Carrick particularly highly tbh.

Owen's still a goalscorer, and that's all that's important for me. Should definitely be one of 5 strikers for me.

War

Chairman of Selectors
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
We won't use 5 Strikers. Club sides very rarely use that many. 4 would be fine. Rooney up on his own would be fine.

As for the Gk's, I can't think of a major tournament where thats happened but it happened at Chelsea with Cech and Cudichini in the same game. It's not unheard of.

ENG should take 5 strikers since their is no certainty of quality in our back-up to our first XI pair of Heskey & Rooney.

Defoe has definately improved. But deep down i dont think anyone can say for sure that they are convinced he is international quality.

One of Crouch/Bent/C Cole will go as back-up target man/tall striker to Heskey. Crouch probably will get the nod, but none of them gives any great deal of confidence.

Then we have Owen. Who really has to be there & for reasons i've mentioned before. Other than Rooney is only striker i am confident will/could have a BIG impact in a hypotetical world cup quarter/semi-final. He is the perfect impact sub really.

Dont think Capello will risk playing Rooney up front by himself either TBF. That was the reason he brought back Heskey in the WCQs.

On the 2 GK's option. Fair enough, but i really think just taking just the best two should be considered. Really think an extra mid-fielder/striker will be worth more than a 3rd GK who will just make up numbers.

War added 7 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

James is still the deserved number 1 AFAIC. Think he's done a solid job for England of late, and deserves to be in the squad at least.

Nah, Jagielka's still due back pretty soon from what I've read. I've definitely not heard anything about him being out for the rest of the season. Even if he's only back for the last couple of months he's in my squad. Biased Evertonian you see. :p

Ah yes, forgot about James Milner if I'm honest. I'll edit and stick him in there in place of Young. As for Carrick, for me it was between him and Beckham, and I'm a big Beckham fanboy, so Becks is in my squad. Don't rate Carrick particularly highly tbh.

Owen's still a goalscorer, and that's all that's important for me. Should definitely be one of 5 strikers for me.

On James, well one can argue Green has overtaken James as Capello's # 1 TBF. Plus as i said before, looking at what happened with Seaman in WC 2002, really dont think we should take a 40 year old keeper who is playing in Pompey team in awful strife ATM.

Fair enough on Jaigelka although i still have my doubts about him. Did you watch Campbell tonight in the CL game vs Porto though?. Looked very good.

Fair enough on Carrick. But i see him as back-up to Barry though. As i mentioned to poster themuel1, drop the 3rd keeper & you could get Carrick in the squad.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
For me, there are better options than Owen. I don't care what he's done in the past, he seems to need 4 chances before he scores. England and United need a more clinical striker than that.

Have to disagree they are better options than Owne ATM. You could argue that Defoe is the most inform goal-scoring English striker behind Rooney for sure. But as i've mentioned before, Defore has yet to show that form at international level consistently or score againts a quality international oppostion defense (he scored 2 vs Holland in a friendly last year but their defense is crap).

Can you be 100% that Defoe will display a linical goal-scoring ability againts international quality defenses in a crunch hypotetical world cup quarter or semi?. I hope he does - but he is still a bit of a unknwon quantity at international level for me.

We know what Owen can do. His role if picked in the world cup squad will be as a impact sub. He clearly is not the player of the past, but i have confidence that in hypotetical world cup quarter or semi he would have an impact for sure.

Plus if now the unthinkable happens during the world cup & Rooney gets injured. Surely Owen is the best back-up?

He scored a good goal vs West Ham earlier it seems (i only saw highlights - didn't see it live) & looked good in the impact sub role. Owen really is a must pick.

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
On Owen. My position is simple if in a hypotetical big WCQ of SF i'd want to know we have Owen on the bench.

Agreed; last night's game was a great example. Off the bench and straight onto the scoresheet.

I can't wait for this World Cup - Rooney could do what Maradona did in 86 (not the Hand of God) - only we also have other very good players as well. We must pray to the footballing Gods that Rooney doesn't get injured - the World Cup won't know what's hit it!

themuel1

International Coach
He's not going to be in Capello's squad. WE can debate this all we like. If he was playing most weeks I'd have no problem and back his pick. He's not though. Carlton Cole is the best option after Rooney (This is assuming that Heskey will partner Rooney and whoever else plays as a striker).

Auwais

International Coach
Don't know why anyone would leave Carrick out of that squad.

Granted, he hasn't really shined in an England shirt often but Barry's performances haven't been considerably better.

I can see why Capello prefers Barry's defensive capabilities to Carrick's, which ultimately leads to a more balanced England team, which is obviously Capello's goal, emphasised in his preference for Heskey up front alongside Rooney.

War

Chairman of Selectors
He's not going to be in Capello's squad. WE can debate this all we like. If he was playing most weeks I'd have no problem and back his pick. He's not though. Carlton Cole is the best option after Rooney (This is assuming that Heskey will partner Rooney and whoever else plays as a striker).

But thats the thing, he was never going to be a first team player at United this season. I'm sure Capello knew this.

Owen was bought by SAF under the same premise when he bought Hendrik Laarson in 06/07. Which was an experienced player who will have an impact in big league & Champions trophy games as a sub.

Berbatov/Rooney where always going to be the first XI strikers.

Heskey for example isn't a first team player at Villa ATM either. Sometimes O'Neil plays John Carew - but we both know Capello will never drop Heskey since his role in the national team as the "target man" is really important to how the team sets up.

If unfortuantely Capello is basing not picking Owen because he is not playing week in week out thats wrong unfortunately. If he see's him as good impact sub to have he will pick him. I'm still holding out hope here..

On C Cole. I'm not sure how well he would play as a back-up "target-man" striker to Heskey TBH. Dont think he is physical enough to lead the line & hold up the ball. I think Crouch would be a better back-up option - Crouchy of course aint physical either , but his height will make defending againts him very uncomfortable & unusual always.

My 5 strikers as i mentioned before would be:

Rooney
Heskey
Defoe
Owen
Crouch

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Steve Barman sums up Owen's situation pretty well here

quote said:
Ever keen to make reference to his love of the gee-gees, Michael Owen this week deemed himself a ‘long shot’ to be aboard the England plane bound for this summer’s World Cup in South Africa.

It's an opinion shared far and wide, but am I missing something? Granted, he’s not played regularly for United this season, but England don’t need someone who can cope with 90 minutes under the blistering African sun. That mantle will be carried by Wayne Rooney.

Wazza’s so integral to England's hopes of getting off the ground, he may as well fly the plane over. Fabio Capello, like any top manager, will play to his strengths, and that means building his team around Rooney. Lightweight upfront, brimming in midfield, he may push Steven Gerrard up into the hole behind Rooney and then rotate his midfield four accordingly.

Should Capello make that call, suddenly every other striker in his squad becomes a bridesmaid. On merit, Jermain Defoe has to be in the party for his form this season. Then the token big man has to be in for those occasions when only a good old fashioned ‘lump it and see' will do. Peter Crouch or Emile Heskey can get one of the extra legroom seats at the front of the plane.

That’s three spots taken: The main man, the form man and the big man. Anything else is just for emergencies; a player to throw into the fray when a goal is paramount.

Bobby Zamora? Darren Bent? Carlton Cole? Gabriel Agbonlahor? All have done well this season as the chief goal-getter for their respective teams, but they’re all used to being the main man. They can make a difference at Premier League level across 90 minutes, but for England, they might see half an hour spread across three high-pressure group games.

Michael Owen has been playing under those conditions virtually all season – fleeting appearances, high pressure stakes, seldom any second chances. On Tuesday he took under three minutes to grab a clinical goal against West Ham, and Manchester City can certainly attest that his sharp mind plus fresh legs equals bad news for tiring defences.

The stats don’t particularly bear out the point – only three of Owen’s eight United goals have come as a substitute – but his presence unsettles opponents, who are spooked by the fact that there is a recognised predator in their midst. Would Spain or Brazil’s defence be quaking to see Zamora trot on for the last 10 minutes in a World Cup semi-final, even sporting his invariably angered glare and gesturing indiscriminately?

To continue the racing parlance, England’s fourth striker is a dark horse, and no other runner for that spot can boast Owen’s pedigree – these would be his fourth World Cup finals and he’s only 30. So when Capello needs to take a punt, Michael Owen is more odds-on than a long shot.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Ben Foster
Joe Hart
Robert Green

Glen Johnson
John Terry
Rio Ferdinand
Ashley Cole
Joleon Lescott
Matt Upson