England 23-Man 2010 World Cup squad (Possible)

themuel1

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Beckham's out. Torn his Achilles Tendon. Gutted for him and think he's a big loss to us.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye just heard. Damn soooo disappointed for Becks. I think the likely 23 needs revamping now:

GK:

1. Green
2. Hart
3. Robinson/James

DEF:

4. Terry
5. Ferdinand
6. Upson
7. Campbell
8. Johnson
9. Brown
10. Cole - If he doesn't make it obviously Warnock will go :facepalm ASH PLEASE BE FITTTTT!!
11. Baines

MID:

12. Gerrard
13. Lampard
14. Barry
15. Carrick
16. J Cole
17. Milner
18. Walcott
19. Lennon/Young - Young should be teh replacement on the right if Lennon doesn't recover in time. SWP isn't good enough. Hopefully Capello picks Young

STR:

20. Rooney
21. Crouch
22. Defoe
23. Heskey

I dont know about you guys. But for 2moro morning i'm going into fasting. Special prayers for Rooney, Stevie G, Terry, A Cole n Ferdinand of course. England always gets so much bad luck with injuries while teams like Spain, Italy, France, Argentina & Brazil are always safe :doh

I blame the premier leagues schedule. We need a christmas break like La Liga & Serie A. Plus maybeeee consider scrapping or shortening the Carling Cup.

themuel1

International Coach
Ye just heard. Damn soooo disappointed for Becks. I think the likely 23 needs revamping now:

GK:

1. Green
2. Hart
3. Robinson/James

DEF:

4. Terry
5. Ferdinand
6. Upson
7. Campbell
8. Johnson
9. Brown
10. Cole - If he doesn't make it obviously Warnock will go :facepalm ASH PLEASE BE FITTTTT!!
11. Baines

MID:

12. Gerrard
13. Lampard
14. Barry
15. Carrick
16. J Cole
17. Milner
18. Walcott
19. Lennon/Young - Young should be teh replacement on the right if Lennon doesn't recover in time. SWP isn't good enough. Hopefully Capello picks Young

STR:

20. Rooney
21. Crouch
22. Defoe
23. Heskey

I dont know about you guys. But for 2moro morning i'm going into fasting. Special prayers for Rooney, Stevie G, Terry, A Cole n Ferdinand of course. England always gets so much bad luck with injuries while teams like Spain, Italy, France, Argentina & Brazil are always safe :doh

I blame the premier leagues schedule. We need a christmas break like La Liga & Serie A. Plus maybeeee consider scrapping or shortening the Carling Cup.

Everything is going wrong so far this year. Ashley Cole getting injured. Beckham injured, Brown injured, Lennon injured. Terry being stripped of the captaincy and Bridge retiring. Rooney having an amazing season (he will burnout). Joe Cole can't get a full 90 minutes at Chelsea. I look at our Squad and I see possibly 3 World Class players. Rooney, Ferdinand and Terry. Before people argue - Gerrard hasn't been for a while, he looks to be sliding downhill. Lampard never ever has been. Ashley Cole can be when fit.

If there is a god, he doesn't like our football team :p

Oh and found a very good video of Beckham's freekicks. Some of them are unbelievable. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYgHunQEl0&feature=related

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Why the hell do we always get at least one crucial player injured before every World Cup??? Becks is crucial - who else can do that job on the right (or in the middle)? No one else has his passing and crossing ability and then there are his free kicks.

themuel1

International Coach
If Capello doesn't pick Zamora for the next friendly it will be ridiculous. No one deserves to be given the chance in the England team more than him. He's in terrific form, a better finisher than Heskey and has more to his game than Defoe.

War

Chairman of Selectors
If Capello doesn't pick Zamora for the next friendly it will be ridiculous. No one deserves to be given the chance in the England team more than him. He's in terrific form, a better finisher than Heskey and has more to his game than Defoe.

I dont know my friend. I know Zamora indeed has been playing well, but he always comes across to be a just a premiership player - i really dont think he will have a major goal-scoring impact @ international level.

Right now presuming & praying to god no injury woes comes around. Crouch & Heseky as the target-man striker, while i'd still have Defoe & Bent ahead of him in the pecking order.

War added 10 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

BBC Sport - Football - World Cup scouting: centre-backs

Good article from Dixon on our defensive options. A bit surprised he hasn't taken notice of Campbell.

Plus like me unsurprisingly he has a sneaky feeling Capello might just have some use for Ledley King ha..

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
After that match saving performance against Barca, Walcott must go to the World Cup for me. Without him, Arsenal would've been staring down the barrel 2-0 down at the Nou Camp - now, they have a chance with Barca's defense so comprehensively screwed.

brownies

School Cricketer
Walcott is better than arshavin in Arsenal. Arshavin failed to score a goal in 5 matches but walcott Scored against barcelona at his 1st match :P

brownies added 1 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

never take anyone from Liverpool Because they fail.

themuel1

International Coach
Walcott is better than arshavin in Arsenal. Arshavin failed to score a goal in 5 matches but walcott Scored against barcelona at his 1st match :P

brownies added 1 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

never take anyone from Liverpool Because they fail.

???????? This makes no sense. Where's the Liverpool thing come from?

War

Chairman of Selectors

GK:

1. Green
2. Hart
3. Robinson/James

DEF:

4. Terry
5. Ferdinand
6. Upson
7. Campbell
8. Johnson
9. Brown
11. Baines

MID:

12. Gerrard
13. Lampard
14. Barry
15. Carrick
16. J Cole
17. Milner
18. Walcott

STR:

20. Rooney
21. Crouch
22. Defoe
23. Heskey

UPDATE:

It looks like Ash Cole & Lennon will very likely be fit for the WC, so great news. Fingers crossed & prayers that no other major player get injured.

Dawson for Campbell - Dawson definately has to go if he maintains his recent form between now & the end of the season. I was behind Campbell going, but i get a sneaky feeling Capello is worried about Campbell's age - thus wont pick him. While he also still may be wanting to take Ledley King. So Dawson current form has come just in time for England. He looks ATM like the potentially quality international centre half behind Rio/JT/Upson, that the team needs.

Robinson vs James - The battle for the 3rd choice keeper basically. As i mentioned before i have my worries about James being picked given his age & the fact that he is playing in a Pompey team low on confidence. But James was superb in the FA Cup semi & that big game performance may very well & convince Capello to take him in the squad,. But we'll see.

Hargreaves for Brown - I'm 90% sure Hargreaves probably wont go. But i'm holding on to the 10% chance, that MAYBE if Hargreaves plays for United soon (like within the next week) & has an impact in premiership run in. Hargreaves should definately go given he will give bring obvious versatility in mid-field @ RB to Johnson. Thus Brown wont be needed.

But if as most believe Hargreaves can't/wont make it. Brown likely will go as back-up right-back.

rumour

School Cricketer
Squad seems almost a foregone conclusion now... especially in light of that bbc article. It's just the likes of Joe Cole and Bobby Zamora that have a question mark for me as to whtehr they are in favour with Capello - I'd certainly like them there.

...I can't help but think that as the time nears it will be fairly easy to predict the squad (unless we have another Walcott anywhere...!?). Not long to wait now in any case.

cescyfabregas

School Cricketer
2010 World Cup Squad-England

Goalkeepers:
1.Joe Hart
13.Paul Robinson

Defenders:
2.Glen Johnson
5.Ledley King
6.John Terry
20.Michael Dawson
23.Gary Cahill :hpraise
3.Ashley Cole
22.Leighon Baines

Midfielders:
11.James Milner
14.Theo Walcott
4.Steven Gerrard
8.Frank Lampard
12.Scott Parker
15.Jamie O'Hara :hpraise
16.Tom Huddlestone
7.Adam Johnson
17.Scott Downing

9.Peter Crouch
10.Wayne Rooney
18.Jermaine Defoe
19.Darren Bent
21.Bobby Zamora :hpraise

War

Chairman of Selectors
Hearing interesitng rumors today that Capello is getting a probablbe breakthrough in tempting Carragher out of international retirement. That would be great if he decides to come back.

While Hargreaves is potentially still being courted now that if seems like Barry may not recover in time for the WC. So sad for Barry, but having Hargreaves back would be phenomenol. Hopefully he plays a major part in United's final games this season.

Users who are viewing this thread