England in Australia

Drewska said:
Bring in Chris Rogers he batted like a right machine for Northants in the 2006 summer. They probably won't but theres plenty of options with Watson out.

It's already confirmed that he won't be there :) It will be either Voges or Symonds.

Short Leg said:
I have little doubt that Hodge would have been first pick if he hadn't pulled up with that quad strain as he is obviously a middle order batsmen batting at 4 for the Bushrangers and making that double ton for Australia batting at the same position. Although Voges is coming off a hundred and is averaging 45 in first-class cricket i can't really see the logic in picking him ahead of a Chris Rogers, Marcus North or Cameron White who are averaging in the same ball park and have been putting on batting clinics at first-class level for years. In recent years the selectors have only looked to pick seasoned veterans of domestic cricket which is what took Hussey so long to get a gig in the side. Can't see Voges getting a game in front of Symonds anyway so maybe there just trying to give him a bit of experience around the playing squad.

They could have always slotted Hodge into 4 as a straight swap for Martyn.
White's needs another good year before hes considered as last year his FC stats weren't too good.

Drewska said:
Who the hell is voges? :p

Here you go http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/8119.html
Scored the fastest ING cup 100, has the potential to be our KP :)

What has Symonds done to earn a call-up ? Even he's surprised as anyone else..just read that he had to search for his baggygreen cuz he thought he'll never get to wear it again. I hope he proves his worth but so far he's looked all at sea in Test cricket.

You know our crazy selectors, this is just another random selection. He didn't deserve a call up especially since hes only had 2 FC games both of which he didn't do much to warrant a call up but the reason is simple, the selectors wanted an all rounder and a guy with test experience. Symonds is the closest thing to an all rounder that we have.

aussie1st said:
Here you go http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/8119.html
Scored the fastest ING cup 100, has the potential to be our KP :)

Don't go overhyping him though, his only played 20 odd matches in FC and averages in the low 40s. Behind Ponting & Mohammad Yousuf, KP's probably then the best batsman in the world at the moment and he probably won't hit his peak for a few years to come.

To be honest i can't decipher this fascination with playing a someone on basis of being an 'all-rounder' when someone clearly is not. Symonds is a one-day all rounder, and a very good one at that..perhaps only Kallis is a better one going at the moment in ODI's but as i said before he's done nothing at Test level.. Even the great Bevan was better !! We've been giving plenty of stick to Fletcher for the Jones-Giles situation but we're doing exactly the same with this selection. We went on the 16 match winning streak under Waugh playing 4 bowlers. We're now 8-0 in this year with 4 genuine bowlers for most part. Yes, a 5th bowler would've helped in last test esp in the 1st innings and some other wickets which are flat but don't think Symonds would've helped.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Don't go overhyping him though, his only played 20 odd matches in FC and averages in the low 40s. Behind Ponting & Mohammad Yousuf, KP's probably then the best batsman in the world at the moment and he probably won't hit his peak for a few years to come.

Yea I know, we would be extremely lucky if Voges becomes as good as KP is but it's good to know we have another big hitter in our test side to entertain the crowds.

vizard said:
To be honest i can't decipher this fascination with playing a someone on basis of being an 'all-rounder' when someone clearly is not. Symonds is a one-day all rounder, and a very good one at that..perhaps only Kallis is a better one going at the moment in ODI's but as i said before he's done nothing at Test level.. Even the great Bevan was better !! We've been giving plenty of stick to Fletcher for the Jones-Giles situation but we're doing exactly the same with this selection. We went on the 16 match winning streak under Waugh playing 4 bowlers. We're now 8-0 in this year with 4 genuine bowlers for most part. Yes, a 5th bowler would've helped in last test esp in the 1st innings and some other wickets which are flat but don't think Symonds would've helped.

Agreed I've never rated his bowling, I would rate his off spin up there with Pup's and his medium pace probably just above Hussey's if it's swinging if not nearly equal to Hussey's. His batting has potential but hes been far too inconsistent in FC and then this continued during his test stint.

Having said that, Symonds will be a great 12th man to have around

Voges would rarely be the big hitter, especially if he's coming in for Martyn. He's rather like Hussey in that respect, he has the ability to up the ante, but his primary game plan is to play tough and classical. His shots in that 62 ball 100 reminded me more of Gilchrist, though, clean, powerful and delivered to all areas.

Well we now know for certain that Phil Jaques is regarded as an 'opener only' by the selectors because he is the best batsman in Australia not currently playing int'l. Good on Voges though, quality player, always thought we'd see him in the OD team if anything but he deserves it for sure.

I dont have any time for Phil Jaques really...an opener only tag is corectly given to him. I would be glad to see Voges get a go coz hes West Australian. But Andy Symonds should come in at 6. So the line-up should be like this:

1.Langer
2.Hayden
3.Ponting
4.Hussey
5.Clarke
6.Symonds
7.Gilchrist
8.Warne
9.Lee
10.Clark
11.McGrath

If only Marto could have played one more game at Perth, then Watson could have come straight in at #4. I agree with most of the posts on this page - Symonds is not the way to go here (personally he's overrated definitely in Tests and even in ODIs), but luckily it should only be for the one match. Michael Clarke did a reasonable job delivering some tidy overs when the main bowlers were tired - they don't need any more help with the bowling.

Also, Brad Hodge is definitely first on my list to replace anyone but bad luck for him with his injury. Voges is a promising youngster, but I'm not sure he has deserved a call up compared with guys like Jaques, Rogers, North, Katich (actually as I'm writing that list...all left handers - maybe the selectors wanted a righty)

Users who are viewing this thread