England in Australia

Yeah but Punter's two hundreds at the start of the series really set the tone and set up the series and he led from the front. Clark wasn't far behind and Punter did give McGrath a bit of a look once he was announced as man of the series.

m_vaughan said:
The Ashes is the BIGGEST series. It symbolises the sport.
I would have to say its position at the top of cricket is faltering as cricket becomes more global. The larger part of the modern cricket world didn't really care about The Ashes; I too only followed it through the scorecards.

Dr.Cricket said:
Lucky thing you go for India... (my 2nd favourite team :)).
I'm hoping you maintain the same opinion when we tour you next December (hopefully) without Langer, McGrath, Warnie and Martyn in your squad, hoping that you lot don't come up with the perfect replacements. ;)

We'll have Shaun Tait and if India does tour Australia next year, I'll enjoy him breaking the middlestumps of Tendulkar, Dravid, Yuvraq & Sehwag.

Stuart Clark and Brett Lee could be a good opening bowling pair, then Johnson first change or Johnson can open the bowling with Lee

Clark would open just to provide that stablity although Johnson/Tait/Hilf rely on swing so the new ball would help them.

Bracken could get some good swing, hes also an option and he has the experience of Test Match, hilfy is a prospect for the future

Had a tear in the eye today...the end of an era and i feel priviledged to have grown up watching this Australian team.

Let's not forget Martyn either, classy batsman that was a class above most especially on the subcontinent where others would struggle.

:crying :cool:

I think Tait's will end up being more successful then Lee. I never noticed this but when you look at how great of a start Lee had to his career (his stats were on par with Stuart Clark's) and look at his career now. His been a bit of a failure. I can see Tait's the sort of bowler who can rip through any batting lineup in the world. Shoaib Akhtar has the same talent.

Tait could be useful but you cant drop lee, he is bowling pretty good and reaching high paces. Lee, Clark, Johnson ( or bracken ) then a spinner which could be MacGill for a bit will probably be our team, or my team but take out Stuart Macgill

Lee can't be dropped right now we are going to have enough problems replacing McGrath and Warne. Hopefully Hilf keeps impressing as I would like him to be in the side before Tait and Johnson.

We need MacGil to play on for 2-3 more years. None of our options currently are good enough to play Test cricket.

If Watson keeps improves his bowling then we'll be able to Tait & Lee.

I think our batting we'll still be strong, we've still got Hayden, Punter, Hussey, Clarke, Gilly. I think Jaques or Rogers can replace Langer but I'm not so sure that they can replace Hayden's dominance at the top of the order and Gilchrist's allrounder skills.

Jaques can dominate an attack so there is your replacement for Hayden. Rogers is a direct swap for Langer. What more both of them love to score big 100s.
Ronchi would be the direct replacement of Gilly but hes not consistent enough.

Users who are viewing this thread