England in India - Oct to Jan 2012/13

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Funny how people are talking a little too much about other's perceptions and about what they think a 'good Indian member' or a 'bad Indian member' is. Whatever perception you might have of other people, remember that others also have perceptions about you and dont expect them to be good. For example, I have this overall feeling that the England supporters here act snooty and lordy over the others, and show themselves off as if 'they know everything'. But I don't go around talking about it. Shravi might be a different guy, but just because he talks in a way that's being liked by certain members doesn't make him a better Indian member than others.

It would be best if we avoid comparing and classifying people based on their personalities and the way they post. It will only result in these kinds of silly arguments.

----------

Official England Cricket have posted some photos of the ground for Sunday's game on Facebook:

66439_10151183141115194_1475136601_n.jpg

What a place! Rivals Newlands.

I want to go to this place. Looks amazing!:clap

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Pretty sure he played in Cardiff (and injured himself nastily) - Bairstow's ODI debut in 2012. Unless of course you meant the Champions League T20...

My bad, I was talking about CL T20.

Don't be silly Haari, he doesn't know what he means ;)

All that was said Aalay was there are positives to take from the series defeat despite the emphatic nature of two of the defeats. There weren't players injured or missing (well Broad a bit), but they were all rested due to ODI's being the last rung on English cricket's ladder and this next bit might be hard for you to take. An ODI tour to India when the next world cup is in Australasia and the one after that in Britain is really not worth sending the core of our bowling attack to. Good opportunity for some of the fringe players to stake a claim, which in the case of Root and Tredwell they did, whilst in the cases of Dernbach, Bresnan, Patel... they did

Yes and the biggest positive is Tradewell. I haven't seen him bowl before but he looked very accurate and troubled most of the batsman. Even Kohli, who tackled Ajmal very well. And as you mentioned that it was England's decision to send these players rather then your main players. So, I don't think we should have an excuse such as "if our main players were playing we could have shown more fight." Well that is obvious but it was your decision, we did not tell you to send that squad. However, as you said that England does not care much about ODI's so that does make sense. I hope this is the last post on this argument.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Fact of the matter is, ODI series are nothing but warmups for the World Cup. Every single one of them is meaningless.

Next time I'll be sure to post something along the lines of: "Oh noooes. We lozzzt a ODI gamez. I'm sooooo angry. INDIA IZ DA BEZTESSST!"

Heaven forbid I ever look at the positives and negatives with a balanced and objective frame of mind :rolleyes

Sureshot

Executive member
Oh, I think people care. I know some big names have been resting, but we have to rotate and I think it's a good policy. Something clearly needs to be done to make ODI series more relevant though, what that solution is, who knows. 7-match series have to be abandoned and I think 5 is possibly pushing it too.

That all said, I think we've been very poor in two matches, and pretty good in the first and last ones. I know we still lost quite heavily, but conditions weren't even, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles, we have it our way too.

Tredwell has been superb and I think has told the selectors that he's good enough to play alongside Swann in ODIs. Root has shown promise too, lucky 57, but he's got the right head for international cricket.

Overall it has been disappointing so far, but not completely without positives.

Looks like we've made a decision on Kieswetter and Dernbach will be lucky to play tomorrow. Still think that the management rate Bresnan too highly, but hey, we don't know just how much his injury has affected him, he needs some proper rest, healing and some county cricket, there's a role for him, but not as he's currently playing.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
India could bring in Cheteshwar Pujara in place of Gautam Gambhir, but he might not open. "You will see a new batting attack tomorrow," Suresh Raina suggested in the pre-match press conference

Well If they drop Gambhir then who will open with Rohit? Raina wants to bat higher but I don't think he should open the innings. Virat and Rohit would be my opening pair. However, if Rohit and Virat comes out as opener then Raina has no choice but to bat at no 5 again because Pujara and Yuvraj will be batting at no 3 and 4. So he will be back to his original batting position again. If Raina does open alongside Rohit then Yuvraj have to move to no 5.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Virat might open with Rohit ideally. Raina is said to have been wanting to open the innings but after the match winning innings in the last game, I don't think he will be asked to open as he has been doing so very good for last couple of years (in particular) in the lower middle order.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Once Yuvraj goes, Raina will probably be batting at No.4 or 5. But can't see him doing that now. India's top and top-middle order is going to get very crowded and congested if Pujara gets going in ODI's.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Rohit opening the other day tells me two things;

1. Kohli doesn't like to open.
2. Rohit will do just about anything for a place in the side. :p

S

Satan666

I am beginning to think that Sachin's decision to finally leave the ODI format has resulted in a minor resurgence in Indian cricket and its good to see batsmen fighting for places in the starting eleven. The earlier he leaves test cricket India may have a good test side also.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Rohit Sharma does not come off as an opening batsman to me. I actually think his performance in the last game has hurt India. We are going to have Sharma as an opening batsman going into the Champions trophy... wtf

I have seen Virat open the batting before (vs SL) and he did a good job. Will be interesting to see if he will come up the order again. Looks like Rohit will get another game too. Tough on Rahane...

Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli
Chet Pujara
Suresh Raina
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Ravinder Jadeja
R Ashwin
Bhuv Kumar
Shami Ahmed
Ishant Sharma

I don't even know who else is in our squad TBH :p. I don't think we have any other fast bowling options apart from Dinda, right?

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I am beginning to think that Sachin's decision to finally leave the ODI format has resulted in a minor resurgence in Indian cricket and its good to see batsmen fighting for places in the starting eleven. The earlier he leaves test cricket India may have a good test side also.

The funny thing is India have looked so much stronger in recent times whenever they've ditched the old big guns for younger and hungry equivalents. However the moment they lose a game or series they go back to the old guard. Normally against weaker opponents and they spank them, thus safeguarding their places for another few series.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK

As much as you would love to masturbate on that thought, the fact is that it's Jadeja's minor resurgence and the surprising find of Bhuvaneshwar Kumar, Shami Ahmed coupled with the good form of Raina and the marauding form of Dhoni that has helped India stage a minor resurgence here. India's top order (where Tendulkar was the lynchpin of) is still failing. Only in the last match Rohit clicked.

----------

Right, he's useless too.

By the way, where's Yadav? I know Aaron is the perennial injury guy, but what's happened suddenly to Yadav? And what's up with Irfan? He made a pretty good comeback after a very long layoff. What's his status?

We have some decent fast bowlers in the domestic circuit. They just need to be looked at. For example, Pankaj Singh is one guy who should get a nod soon.

Users who are viewing this thread