England In India - October 2011/12

P

pcfan123

real conditions makes for real cricket. Play all the gimmicky hit and giggle on pancakes you wnat, you still won't be able to hang with the real ball players.

4-0 please god

lewissaffin

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
All that bollocks about how India are this and India are that.. India have been dominated in days three and four and have had no stomach for a fight on a brilliant pitch.

India should be more suited to The Oval, if not Edgbaston too, as The Oval is the flattest international ground in the country.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that even with Zaheer and Sehwag, India will struggle to beat us. "Struggle" being the important word, here. Not going for a 4-0 series whitewash yet but, my God, that would be satisfying! :cheers

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Speaking as an England fan, I hope we recover from the injuries that have blighted us in this match. Trott and Swann are two of our best players, who were affected by injury, so couldn't perform as well as we all know they can. Just as well the rest were good enough to see off this poor side we're playing.

Maybe we could persuade South Africa to come over and play the final two tests. Give us a proper match ;)

In all seriousness India gave up way too easily in this game. Hopefully with Sehwag and Zaheer in the side they can put up a proper fight at Edgebaston.

If Trott is out the 3rd test I'd recall Tremlett and play 4 quicks. It's not like we don't bat deep enough.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
If Dhoni fails completely this series with the bat and if India lose one more test, the selectors should seriously consider his place in the test side. He cant just block out one spot because he is a lucky captain and hurt the team. Gambhir can be as good a captain in tests, and we can play Parthiv Patel or Wriddhiman Saha in tests. Let Dhoni play ODI cricket. IMO, if Dhoni has to recover his game, he has to go back to his natural aggressive game which made him the superstar that he is. In all formats, he has to go back to his roots which is being a smashing batsman. In tests, he might get out often because of that but there will be times when it clicks and he will look a hero. This idea to turn himself into Dravid and Tendulkar is not working for Dhoni as he doesnt have the technique to become a grafter

Last edited:

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
The Oval should definitely be a spinner's wicket (from what I know of the Oval in my years of watching India in England contests)

Good luck with that, pitch will be a lot different now. Emphasis is very much on pace at The Oval because of the way the Surrey bowling attack has developed.

----------

The Oval is the flattest international ground in the country.

That title goes to Taunton.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
He said international.

Oh yeah, so he did. Still probably not, whatever that ground in Wales is now called would come close. Don't think anywhere is overly flat in England, but yeah it might be the 'flattest' in the UK.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Still no draws at Taunton this year. Flat indeed.

Really? Mis-guided conception then but it has been for a while. Although with the lack of the heavy rollers once the game has started has definitely decreased the amount of draws.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Really? Mis-guided conception then but it has been for a while. Although with the lack of the heavy rollers once the game has started has definitely decreased the amount of draws.

It used to be. But then Somerset fired their groundsman and got someone in who produced better results wickets. It's not a mine field by any means, but it offers the bowlers help and is a lot different to the general mis-guided consensus.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It is now a proven fact that all sub continent batsmen are poor as whole to bat in such conditions whether they are from Indian, Srilanka or Pakistan. They will be a power house at thier home due to dead flat pitches.

Just watching India batting in this innings makes them no greater then Pakistan's batting in last summer which is pretty sad since Dravid, Laxman, Tendulkar are one of the most experienced middle order a team can have.

With Zaheer comeback India's bowling will look quite good as whole becuase he is thier only genuine hope in bowling at the moment. Sehwag to me will not effect very much unless the pitch at oval become flat which it is not in any case to me.

Oval pitch is not totaly flat, usually it has enough for the seamers if they bowl in the right areas which English bowlers seems to do very well. These English bowlers are great at thier home so I am expecting them dominate once again even the pitch comes out to be less favourable for them.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
All that bollocks about how India are this and India are that.. India have been dominated in days three and four and have had no stomach for a fight on a brilliant pitch.

you aren't the first person to say this, but india had england 60ish-5 in both matches, india themselves have only been in such a bad position once (that last innings there) the problem india have had isn't bowling with seamers or playing them. comparatively speaking, the top 4, when seamers and swingers have the best conditions, india have well out performed england. Their tail has however been atrocious against them, especially the second new ball.

the other problem india are having is not conditions being too tricky, it's that without a dusty track or reverse swing, they're clueless with what to do with an old ball. Although this has been extra exasperated by the fact england plainly have one of the strongest tails, maybe in cricketing history.

Last edited:

lewissaffin

Club Cricketer
you aren't the first person to say this, but india had england 60ish-5 in both matches, india themselves have only been in such a bad position once (that last innings there) the problem india have had isn't bowling with seamers or playing them. comparatively speaking, the top 4, when seamers and swingers have the best conditions, india have well out performed england. Their tail has however been atrocious against them, especially the second new ball.

Yes, and both times England have shown some resistance in the lower order and India haven't had an answer until the threat had been significantly averted.

War

Chairman of Selectors
My 2nd test review

SUPERB ENGLAND!!...As Jonathan Agnew said on test match special radio commentary "I just cant see how India can come back from this".

Even if Khan, Sehwag, Gambhir return for the final two test i honestly dont see how that will make any difference to India performance. England quick bowlers in home conditions tactically IMO will continue to keep the veteran India trio of Dravid/Tendy/Laxman in check, while will expose the techniques and temperament of the other batsmen.

The depth in the England pace attack is so great ATM. That is also whats killing Inida. You compare to what happened when IND toured S Africa early this year when IND just had to see of Steyn/Morkel, who were backed up by average bowlers (albiet S Africa could have picked stronger bowling options), India batsmen were able to dig themselves out of a few holes. But England have 4 qucks just coming at them, which is givng them no respite.

One playe who certainly IMO will be exosed Sehwag. Not saying anyone of Planetcricket have said so in this thread, but i was already hearing some people heralding his arrival as "messiah" like. Really how can anyone be confident Sehwag can score runs againts England pace attack in these conditions given his recent failures in S Africa and his career being littered with examples of struggles vs quality pace attack in bowler friendly conditions??. Such a belief certainly cant be backed up by any recent statistics, much less any opinion based analysis of the Delhi batsman.

Zaheer potential return is the more significant one. Given he is 2nd best new-ball bowler in test cricket these days behind Steyn. He is a proven commodiity and will test the English batsmen once is 100% fit.

But overall, the chances of England winning 4-0 is very good.

Looking ahead to the Trott and Tremlett injury problems. Id say England can go 2 ways and still stay very strong:

1. If Trott is injured. They can keep Bresnan and move him up to # 7 and recall Tremlett. 4 quicks + Swann would just bury INDIA's batsmen.

2. If they want to stick with the successful 4 bowlers strategy. Bring in Hildreth for Trott , then if they feel conditions at Edgbaston will again be pace bowler friendly. Instead of having to drop Bresnan, they can for the 1st time drop Swann and go for an all-pace attack in a horses for courses selection.

On India, their play does look flat also. I said before this series started that this 2010/11 schedule that India has it the most jam-packed international fixutre listing i have ever seen an national side have in my 15 years of watching cricket. It really is ridiculous and its bound to tire the players out & Indian players are probably showing signs of that.

Users who are viewing this thread