Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
I would now bother about that as Hoggard is an excellent bowler and can have the odd bad day in the office. However it will be difficult not to pick Blackwell and Panesar given the way both have performed till now in this tour.

I also feel Blackwell should be selected, just to see how he handles the pressure of test cricket and maybe even see him as a future prospect. But it's a tough call that's definitely not going to please everyone, so Vaughan (or the captain if he's out) will have to show alot of faith in his ability. Possibly use either he or Panesar for varying roles in different situations, one attacks at times while the other contains. If he does get picked, it's hard to say whether the fact of having two left-arm orthodox bowlers will affect the balance though.

Last edited:
However what me must note is that the Indians have handled more seasoned spinners like Muralitharan and Warne pretty easily. They are the best players of spin bowling in the world.

I think this is exactly what Fletcher thinks, and hence will go ahead with four seamers and a single spinner, as that is England's strength afterall.

My line up for the first test.

Sehwag
Jaffer
Dravid
Sachin
Laxman
Raina
Dhoni
Pathan
Kumble
VRV
Sreesanth

Dhoni said:
My line up for the first test.

Sehwag
Jaffer
Dravid
Sachin
Laxman
Raina
Dhoni
Pathan
Kumble
VRV
Sreesanth

More Important we need Kaif over Raina. He's more experince againts England. So definately we need Kaif the way he can handle the preesure, the way he feilds and all.

cricket_lover said:
I don't think it was a "fantastic team selection".

Dropping Khan based on his ODI performance just goes to tell you how great the selectors are. People, don't cling on to that ATTITUDE thing. How on earth do we his attitude? its time that people shut up and do not talk about things we do not know.
Dropping Ganguly wasn't very clear but i'm sure its more based on Chappell/Selectors opinion and feelings rather than looking Ganguly as a cricketer.

Selecting Raina/Kaif was good. They need to play atleast one test, because they deserve it. It is time to get them into the test level, so they get acclimitized to the pressure and other areas.
Sreesanth's selection also makes sense. He deserved it, and the team deserves to have a variety.
I'm not sure if Chawla will get a chance to play the test...but atleast i hope the team management will not replace Kumble with Chawla (Who knows...they might! saying they care about the future :D )

Finally, VRV. May be just sheer pace...but we do not know much about this guy. Considering the bowling attack we are going to have, he should be carrying drinks. But atleast it'll give him some hope.

Lot of youngsters in the team. It is both positive and negative. It will be positive if their talents are fully utilized, at the right time.

In the past, lots of promising bowlers and batsmen got chances at test level. They played couple of matches, failed and then kicked out.

You do not want that to happen to these guys.

See buddy, I am not talking about his attitude amongst the team members and the team management.. I dont have that skill to gauge that because I am not among the team and I dont know an inch about what goes on off the field within the team!

I am speaking about the attitude that Zaheer Khan DISPLAYED on the field! And I am sure he didnt have a goo attitude on the field. He was really lazy, laid back and definitely didnt give anything close to his best! I guess that must be the reason for his sacking! May be he didnt show the promise that he can consistently perform to the expectations set for him! I for one, feel that the Zaheer Khan bubble was blown too much and has burst even before it could do something worthy!

Same with Ajit Agarkar. He has been persisting in this team for a long long time even when the whole world feels he is no longer fit to be a part of this team! He is more economical these days, but the promise that we want to see in him, doesnt exist at all. We have Irfan who is economical as well as wicket taking. And still Agarkar remains inconsistent. One match, he really bowls as if he is the best bowler in the world. Next game, he bowls as if playing cricket is the last thing that he wants to do! He cant be in the team just because he 'can' bat a bit (not that he has proved himself as a useful batter!)

One change - bringing in Raina or Kaif is because Yuvraj is injured! Considering that injury, India have technically made only 3 replacements which is never too much in my opinion! The bowling attack needed that shake up, which has been given! Its now upto them to perform and keep their place in the side! If Agarkar and Zaheer still have it in them, let them force their way back thru domestic cricket! Piyush was expected to come in anytime! After all, our Yuvrajs and Kaifs are Under-19 products!

vibs89 said:
More Important we need Kaif over Raina. He's more experince againts England. So definately we need Kaif the way he can handle the preesure, the way he feilds and all.

I would go for Raina...

Thats because we have Dravid and Laxman who are perfect sheet anchors and who are very good at steadying the ship. Tendulkar is also changing himself to be just that - sheet anchor! Wasim Jaffer is also of the same mould who can be a sheet anchor to the rampaging Sehwag at the other end. So in the top order, we have only Sehwag who can do the flamboyant act of scoring quickly. I wouldnt want Kaif who is also a sheet anchor type batsman. I would technically replace Yuvraj with Raina because Raina is a flamboyant batsman with a good technique! He can force the pace of the innings yet has less chances of losing his wicket due to his good technique! So with Raina, we will have Sehwag and Raina as the aggressors and Dravid, Laxman and Jaffer as the sheet anchors and with Tendulkar who can do both jobs very well (he can be an aggressor or sheet anchor at will!).

One more thing - we cant play three seamers and a single spinner at Nagpur where the grass has been stripped off! The curator says it will turn from Day 3 itself and the wicket is expected to crack up! So Kumble and Harbhajan both should play! Irfan will also play. Its a toss up between Sreesanth and VRV Singh considering that RP Singh is another left armer in the Irfan mould and we have been criticised for the sameness in the left armers in Pakistan!

Last edited:
saisrini80 said:
I would go for Raina...

Thats because we have Dravid and Laxman who are perfect sheet anchors and who are very good at steadying the ship. Tendulkar is also changing himself to be just that - sheet anchor! Wasim Jaffer is also of the same mould who can be a sheet anchor to the rampaging Sehwag at the other end. So in the top order, we have only Sehwag who can do the flamboyant act of scoring quickly. I wouldnt want Kaif who is also a sheet anchor type batsman. I would technically replace Yuvraj with Raina because Raina is a flamboyant batsman with a good technique! He can force the pace of the innings yet has less chances of losing his wicket due to his good technique! So with Raina, we will have Sehwag and Raina as the aggressors and Dravid, Laxman and Jaffer as the sheet anchors and with Tendulkar who can do both jobs very well (he can be an aggressor or sheet anchor at will!).

Thank you Sai! That's all what I was about to mention to Vibs89. Man this guy Raina is awesome! He got wayyy better technique than Kaif and can play aggressive. He's the perfect player to me in the middle order. And, Sai you have mentioned all the aggressive players, but you forgot one and only Sensational MS DHONI!!! Can't wait to see my boy DHONI show! Now the question is, where will it be? Nagpur? Mohali? or Mumbai? Really can't wait! Come on boys!!!

Dhoni said:
Thank you Sai! That's all what I was about to mention to Vibs89. Man this guy Raina is awesome! He got wayyy better technique than Kaif and can play aggressive. He's the perfect player to me in the middle order. And, Sai you have mentioned all the aggressive players, but you forgot one and only Sensational MS DHONI!!! Can't wait to see my boy DHONI show! Now the question is, where will it be? Nagpur? Mohali? or Mumbai? Really can't wait! Come on boys!!!

Its as if you are a guru in technique and have seen Kaif/Raina very closely... :rolleyes:

Kaif has a very good technique and temperament to succeed at test level. Same with Raina, though i do not know much about him. We've seen him play ~10 matches and you cannot judge him by that.

Regarding Khan,
I don't think you would say his attitude is poor after watching him in the test series. He bounced back, with aggression and determination. You won't get 10-11 wickets in two tests...that too, on placid tracks...for nothing. I agree, he is not consistent at all in ODI's and he does not deserve a place either.
Test cricket is different.
Can we say the same thing with Sehwag? His last few ODI performances are quite poor, same can be said about Sachin, and even Laxman. Pathan had a poor outing in the Sri Lanka series, did the selectors kick him out?
Khan did reasonably well in Pakistan test series, so what was the basis by which he was dropped from playing test cricket?
Don't cling on to attitude.
You select a player to play a whole series, both Tests and ODI's, adn then you dump him because his so called "ATTITUDE" is not impressive on the field.
Thats BS, atleast for me.

Still no news on who will be covering the Series on British TV yet???

WCC_bowler said:
Still no news on who will be covering the Series on British TV yet???

No Nimbus have said decisions have been made but the annoucments about who has got the rights will be on Monday! They now say it will be Monday, which is stupid considering the series starts on Wednesday and for any PPV company who have the rights will have a whole 2 days to advertise and sell the series.

Even if its an Asian channel like Zee or Sony they will have 2 days to get people wanted to subscribe with 10000s of people trying to get through on the subscription lines.

If Sky get it which has been hinted at by the Times and the Sun then its slightly easier for them as they already have most of the subscribes who want to see it subscribed.

Everywhere in the world has this problem with not even in India its known who will show the series.

I suppose its not the BCCI's fault as they just sold the rights to Nimbus who are responsible for this mess and not selling the rights until a few days before the series. However the BCCI might have sold it to a company who actually has a TV channel and agreements with international channels. It seems they went for the highest bidder so if Cartoon Network or the Adult Channel bid the most they would get the rights! Or even Planetcricket if we had a couple of million $s!

Disgraceful and idiotic from the companies taking part.

Announcing it 2 days before the series starts?

Incredibly unorganized by those in charge of it.

Sureshot said:
Disgraceful and idiotic from the companies taking part.

Announcing it 2 days before the series starts?

Incredibly unorganized by those in charge of it.

So if its on Sony TV, Zee or Setanta and you want to subscribe to see it get ready for a few days on the phone to them waiting to get through take out a subscription! I know that from experience!

Personally from the things I've read and the money they are asking it's going to be between Sony and Sky. 80-20 Sky Imo, no one else could really afford that much more than people think it should be.

cricket_lover said:
Its as if you are a guru in technique and have seen Kaif/Raina very closely... :rolleyes:

Kaif has a very good technique and temperament to succeed at test level. Same with Raina, though i do not know much about him. We've seen him play ~10 matches and you cannot judge him by that.

Regarding Khan,
I don't think you would say his attitude is poor after watching him in the test series. He bounced back, with aggression and determination. You won't get 10-11 wickets in two tests...that too, on placid tracks...for nothing. I agree, he is not consistent at all in ODI's and he does not deserve a place either.
Test cricket is different.
Can we say the same thing with Sehwag? His last few ODI performances are quite poor, same can be said about Sachin, and even Laxman. Pathan had a poor outing in the Sri Lanka series, did the selectors kick him out?
Khan did reasonably well in Pakistan test series, so what was the basis by which he was dropped from playing test cricket?
Don't cling on to attitude.
You select a player to play a whole series, both Tests and ODI's, adn then you dump him because his so called "ATTITUDE" is not impressive on the field.
Thats BS, atleast for me.

Kaif...well he may be good, but he has some weird stances. He keeps his legs together as if he has to urinate really badly...I'm sure it works for him, but I'm still a bit skeptical of it.

Users who are viewing this thread