England in New Zealand

Well I think Its another about approach..I can see something common between M Patel and Gillespie..Although Gillespie is far better than Munaf..But Team management don't want Both..May be because there attitude towards game..M Patel also held good record But Nobody favor him..
Anyway Do they have any other option right now better than Gillespie???Or They gonna brought Back Patel for Decider???

I think Patel is back unless the pitch is a dead set flat pitch. Tim Southee is brought in like I said, and he's the player of the tournament at the U19s. Highly rated, and Hadlee has been pushing for his inclusion for a while now.

I think Gillespie is on thin ice, his bowling is just not that good. If Oram bowls better than your out and out bowler, there is something not quite right.

Southee is unique in that he can genuinely swing it both ways, bowls at around 135s at the moment, but he's only 19 so that speed will increase. I see a lot of McGrath (action) in him. He played in the 20 20 and got Pieterson out trapped in front for figures of 2-22

INFO ABOUT SOUTHEE (posted on another forum, but I thought I'd share here too)

Lillee on Southee - next best thing since McGrath

(quoted from above article)"...A few months ago he took 19-year-old Northern Districts paceman Tim Southee, selected on Wednesday for the Twenty20 matches against England, on a trip to India, where Australian fast-bowling great Dennis Lillee rated him the best 19-year-old bowler he had seen since Glenn McGrath..."

Hadlee words:

"What I like about him is he is a tall young man who has a good approach to the wicket, with a nice, high action, and he can move the ball around - especially away from the batsman - which is a very good quality for a new ball bowler to have and he's had some early success but he's certainly a player for the future."

Bowler's fast rise

Southee named World Cup stand-out

Last edited:
DL Vettori (NZ) 3@58 from 93 overs - dont care what anyone says but that is negative bowling :)

Well the Wellington wicket did absolutely nothing for him. He should have had Collingwood out on it after he tossed the ball up and totally did him for pace. Don't see how that was negative. His lack of wickets/low economy comes from the English batsmen playing him negatively. Trust me, I watched the Hamilton test match and he wasn't negative. Just because he doesn't bowl a few long hops each spell and manages to bowl with perfect control it doesn't make him negative. It's called skill.

He's also been expensive and I think some might argue some of his wickets vs us have been the tailenders.

Agreed. Though he did get Collingwood twice. I think in both occasions it was a case of Collingwood trying to get on with it.

He's not a bad bowler. He just needs to do a bit of work on his control.

Last edited:
Paul Collingwoods test bowling average has dropped dramatically lately. He is just such a valuable player.

Last 8 bowling innings.
57.4 overs
10 maidens
192 runs
10 wickets

Victims include:

Dravid
Ganguly
Sangakkara

He is such a useful player. Can be a nerdler, can take the attack to the bowlers, great fielder and his bowling has been very useful.

I seriously think he's been our best batsman in both forms of the game for the last year, let alone thinking about his bowling and fielding.

I think we should promote Strauss to open with Cook dropping to 3, it just seems so un-natural for Strauss and Cook did superbly at first drop at the start of his career.

i really wouldnt want to see cook at number 3, id much rather see strauss and cook opening with vaughan at 3 where he is much better, the other option is to drop strauus and open with cook and vaughan, KP at 3 and bring shar into the middle orger, but i cant see the selectors changing anything after winning a test, so strauss will prob play at 3 again

Great win, hopefully the pitch for the final test is not too flat so we can get a result.

Strauss has to be dropped, Shah deserves a run in the team.

I wonder if we're destined for a draw in the third test on a flat deck. Or, will England top order crumble, like ours did, and both sides end up scoring average totals on what is supposedly a batsman's wicket. Be great for a result, but if the wicket is suited for batting and nothing else, I expect more or less a draw.

Well the Wellington wicket did absolutely nothing for him. He should have had Collingwood out on it after he tossed the ball up and totally did him for pace. Don't see how that was negative. His lack of wickets/low economy comes from the English batsmen playing him negatively. Trust me, I watched the Hamilton test match and he wasn't negative. Just because he doesn't bowl a few long hops each spell and manages to bowl with perfect control it doesn't make him negative. It's called skill.

I also watched him and he bowled well but he doesnt turn the ball as much as he can and for me that is a waste....hopefully we will see both him and Patel back in the side for the third test though

More Southee... it sounds increasingly like the selectors have already made their minds up about selecting him. Otherwise why bring him into the squad.

Taken from "http://stuff.co.nz/4444206a1823.html"

Northern Districts' newest addition to the Black Caps' test squad says his confidence is sky-high. It's game on in Napier England on top heading into test decider.

Tim Southee said his two Twenty20 international appearances last month, plus his player-of-the-tournament performance at the Youth World Cup in Malaysia, have him brimming with confidence and ready to take on the English in the third test, starting in Napier this Saturday, should he make the final XI.

Southee, 19, was included in the 14-man squad announced after the 126-run second test loss yesterday at the Basin Reserve, Wellington.

"It's an awesome opportunity for me," Southee said.

"It probably still hasn't sunk in properly, but I guess it will when I go to Napier."

After Northern Districts knocked off their 101-run target to beat Auckland yesterday by seven wickets in Gisborne, Southee had a message on his phone from Black Caps convenor of selectors Sir Richard Hadlee.

It was the message every domestic cricketer loves to hear and Hadlee not only congratulated him on being selected in the test squad, but informed him he was not simply cover for Kyle Mills, who has complained of soreness to the back of his knee, but was a real option for the Napier test.

The selectors may have already made their minds up, but just in case, Southee took a match haul of 7-77 in the Auckland game just to keep his name in the right circles.

With the Napier pitch at McLean Park which Southee has never played on expected to be a flat, two-spinner deck, one of the quicks from the second test in Wellington will be dropped.

That makes Chris Martin, captain Daniel Vettori, Jacob Oram and Jeetan Patel certainties so Southee needs to nudge out the inconsistent Mark Gillespie and Mills who may not be 100 per cent by Saturday.

"This is something I've always wanted," Southee said.

"There will definitely be a few nerves around if I get to play.

"After those two Twenty20 games and the Youth World Cup I have a lot of confidence.

"It would be good to make the most of that and how I'm bowling."

Not content with making the 14, Southee knows what he needs to do if he is to make the team and become New Zealand's 235th test cricketer.

"I'll need to be more consistent," he said.

"That's something I've lacked a little but this year's been a lot better."

New Zealand test squad: Matthew Bell, Grant Elliot, Stephen Fleming, Mark Gillespie, Jamie How, Chris Martin, Brendon McCullum, Kyle Mills, Jacob Oram, Jeetan Patel, Mathew Sinclair, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Daniel Vettori (c).

I really hoped sinclair and bell would get dropped but it doesnt look like happening lets hope they get a low score on an absolute belter. I hope tim southee plays hes way better than chris martin and hes only 19 as if you wouldnt play him

Well as Cheese has explained lot I think Southee looks good..And I am really looking to see him in action..I don't think NZ will go with 2 spinners so Southee will get his chance...

He's handy, I wouldn't expect too much from him up against International bowlers like Sidebottom though. He's defiantly not a Chris Martin, I agree with you there.

Since the Napier pitch is going to be a belter, I totally agree. Bell and Sinclair need runs. If they fail, i'd drop them both, but take Bell to England as cover as we lack depth with openers. I'd rather not see Cumming get his spot back either, but on form, he's probably the best person sadly.

Southee's highest score in tests are 75*not out off 45 balls (thereabouts) and this is when he had to bat to save a game for Northern Districts against Wellington in Wellington.

The wicket was dodgy that day, but a spectator (posted on another forum) claimed that it was the cleanest hitting he's ever seen, and was flabbergasted when he found out he's only 19. So there you go.

I won't be surprised to see this lad become the spearhead of our bowling attack for years to come, like what McGrath did for Australia for a while there. Especially when you consider we don't have pace bowlers the class of other countries.

Batting wise, I did a bit of a research, and I found out that aside from Glenn Turner and Martin Crowe, the entire history of New Zealand cricket never produced a classy test batsmen. In fact not even close.

Maybe it's time we pick young guns and just develop them in international level, lose a few, and stop picking these old school "lbw" prone batsmen from the 90s.

He's handy, I wouldn't expect too much from him up against International bowlers like Sidebottom though. He's defiantly not a Chris Martin, I agree with you there.

Since the Napier pitch is going to be a belter, I totally agree. Bell and Sinclair need runs. If they fail, i'd drop them both, but take Bell to England as cover as we lack depth with openers. I'd rather not see Cumming get his spot back either, but on form, he's probably the best person sadly.

That's quite desperate if you are taking someone like Matthew Bell as back-up for the openers.

Users who are viewing this thread