England in New Zealand

Did you see how Wright was out though? Most batsmen would have got out to that.

I couldn't watch the match as my band was at a gig. I'll watch the highlights at 1 & tell you what I think of NZ's performance :p

Did you see how Wright was out though? Most batsmen would have got out to that.

Yeh, but still you've gotta say he really hasn't handled opening or number 3 in this format of the game at international level. His half century against India back in the summer showed that he can be a good player at this level, but I think he is suited lower down the order in the one day games. Maybe at 6 with Bell opening for the next T20 game?

england is much better than newzeland

my money is on england

newzeland may have a chance if they are able to control k.pietersen

Last edited:
Yeh, but still you've gotta say he really hasn't handled opening or number 3 in this format of the game at international level. His half century against India back in the summer showed that he can be a good player at this level, but I think he is suited lower down the order in the one day games. Maybe at 6 with Bell opening for the next T20 game?

Wright is always going to be on and off in twenty20 though. He bats high up as he's capable of scoring well as he showed domestically. Sure he'd do better with time to push the ball around and then put the foot down, but we have plenty of other people to do that. Although I would switch him down the order if the ball is going to do a bit, but if not, just leave him where he is. If he comes off it's going to be spectacular.

Wright is always going to be on and off in twenty20 though. He bats high up as he's capable of scoring well as he showed domestically. Sure he'd do better with time to push the ball around and then put the foot down, but we have plenty of other people to do that. Although I would switch him down the order if the ball is going to do a bit, but if not, just leave him where he is. If he comes off it's going to be spectacular.

Yes I suppose, but in 6 innings he has scored double figures just once. We have not yet seen him even get near that explosiveness that he ahs shown in domestic twenty20. Until he proves me otherwise I wouldn't play him opening and he would only just about squeeze into the first XI.

We capitulated late in the innings, from 53-2 we could have finished 200-6 or something. England always lose lots of wickets quickly in T20s.

We capitulated late in the innings, from 53-2 we could have finished 200-6 or something. England always lose lots of wickets quickly in T20s.

i am satisfied with england's perfomance and specially their opner didn't give them chance to settle for 200-6.
MY 1500 points was on england and they didnt disappoint me.:happy
they need to change their opening first of all,I bell is more than gud for opening.i hope DIMITRI will play in all matches,he can be well future as he can hit well and bowl very decent.:D
I think england gonna win 2nd t20 and ODI serise by 4-1.
(1 because u never know J ORAM)

england is much better than newzeland

my money is on england

newzeland may have a chance if they are able to control k.pietersen

Also NZ need to put Oram up the order at perhaps 4. Also i noticed they struggled against Sidebottom (the swing troubles em) so i suspect they're practicing that now. How shouldn't play twenty20 and Taylor should stay at 3.

As for England there were a few cracks. The openning partnership- bell should be openner. Broad is over-rated. He's talented, he truly is but i think he's international introduction was too premature... it'll take a good batsman to show it. He needs a few more years at county, maybe play overseas like Asia and England will gain a lot. But thats my opinion.

I am not really agreeing with the wright choice of middle order. England have time and time again started poorly in the ODI form of the game. Bell opening with Cook could be devastatingly slow. I think if we have someone like KP, Mascerhanas or Shah opening could mean a devastating start.

Aus - Gilly and Hayden
India - Sahin and Sourav

they are the only two i know to be honest !!!!

If England dont have a good start they are going to continually rely on KP
and then the lower order. They will need a gunning opener for instance BEN WRIGHT

Oram is possibly out of the Christchurch Twenty/20 after tweaking his hamstring. If he plays it will be as a batsman only. Somehow I don't think he'll be risked. Vettori was back practicing today, so signs look good of him plying in the ODIs.

I think we need to call in either James Marshall or wait for it....Chris Harris just for the Twenty/20. Lou Vincent is also a good suggestion. Vincent not being in the side with the form he's in is absurd. James arshall is also in good nick and Harris had a great Twenty/20 tournament and he's played probably more then anyone. Plus it's a chance for him to say a proper goodbye on his home ground, plus he's already there, plus he replaces all-rounder for all-rounder.

My eleven for the second T20:

McCullum
How
Taylor
Ryder
Styris
Oram/Hitchcock/Marshall/Harris
Fulton
Mills
Patel
Southee
Martin

Looks a much better side batting order wise as everyone bar Fulton is in position.

Looking forward to a good night.

(EDIT: Just as post this, Harris helps Canterbury get home in a one day match vs ND in the final over chasing 313.)

Why bat him out of the position at what got him succesful?

Luke Wright is not a consistent run scorer at the moment. Playing him out of position is pointless.

I'd hardly call a 16 run difference a capitulation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/7230031.stm

Oram's replacement.

Last edited:
Why bat him out of the position at what got him succesful?

Luke Wright is not a consistent run scorer at the moment. Playing him out of position is pointless.

Well so you reckon we should just keep him in for another 5 matches and let him score single figure scores each game? You never know whether he would perform better down the order so you can't just dismiss it as an option. What is the point in waiting for something to happen? You have to try and work at things and make things happen. If he fails lower down the order it makes no difference anyway so why not try it out? It's not exactly a risk and it may be worth trying to see if it does come off.

well now Oram won't be available for 2nd t20 NEWZELAND in real trouble.
England can try little bit differentby moving bell to opening.

Well so you reckon we should just keep him in for another 5 matches and let him score single figure scores each game? You never know whether he would perform better down the order so you can't just dismiss it as an option. What is the point in waiting for something to happen? You have to try and work at things and make things happen. If he fails lower down the order it makes no difference anyway so why not try it out? It's not exactly a risk and it may be worth trying to see if it does come off.

The first question is a big assumption. If Wright plays in T20s then he opens, because that's why he's been picked for the side.

Users who are viewing this thread