England in New Zealand

Just as Australia has lost stars from Test arena, NZ have been hit by ODi retirements. McMillan, Cairns, Fleming, Astle and Bond. Well thats best part of your side retiring only leaving Vettori, McCullum and Oram. Add to this the woes of Scott Styris as a player. Does not look good.

Coaches are required at junior level. At heighest level its too late to change anything.

The whole thing with coaches is out blown. India had best time in last 4 years when they were without a coach for long time and the players took responsibility of there actions.

Jhon Buchanna was also a good example of coach who was not that successfull but under him the Australians went from brilliant to unbeatable.
He was an international debutant, but in his previous job he was remarkably successful. Before taking the national job, Buchanan coached Queensland between 1994 and 1999. He coached them to their first ever Sheffield Shield (now Pura Cup). They made the four-day and one-day final 3 times each, and won each title twice.

As a sportsman, Buchanan was mostly a grade cricketer, with a few first class appearances and his primary career was as an academic. It's interesting when we expect international coaches to have international experience when the truth is that players don't need to be taught how to bat or bowl by their head coach.

Buchanan's method as national coach was to continually find new ways for the players to improve themselves, so that they were always motivated to achieve greater things. His studious style found him favour with the likes of Waugh and Gilchrist, but drew famous contempt from Warne. Arguably, the only reason he'd have preferred a traditional coach is because they'd get out of his way. However, for all Warne's greatness of skill, the failings that inevitably scarred his career probably served to prove right Buchanan's concepts of holistic self improvement.

Another good win, everyones contributed in the twenty20's too. I don't think KP will have an amazing series but he'll hit a couple of hundreds at the end of the tests, he won't be under pressure in the summer and he'll take it to New Zealand and South Africa in the biggest series for us since 05 imo.

The Kiwis are young and relatively inexperienced.
The ODI's may be close,but i feel that England will take the Test Series.

Ryan Sidebottom was too good for the Kiwis.I wonder what will happen when Harmy and Sidebottom bowl in tandem.

Harmy should be out of the equation for me now. He's not one of our best bowlers anymore. Should just let him get back to County Cricket this season and see if he regains his old form.

Harmy should be out of the equation for me now. He's not one of our best bowlers anymore. Should just let him get back to County Cricket this season and see if he regains his old form.

He played well against India though?

Yeah, "well done for being our best bowler in the last test Steve, now you're dropped though". I can see that working.

I'd be surprised if we lost more than one game on this tour to New Zealand. They're just a really poor side at the moment and we should be able to hold them off. Hopefully we'll bring in Cook for Broad for the ODI series, as it will give us more depth to the batting and Collingwood/Wright are good enough as a 5th bowler between them. Sidebottom and Anderson keeping at tight at the top should be the key to us winning the one dayers.

So you think we can't drop harmy because of his performance in Sri Lanka but you think we should drop Broad from the ODI side despite him perforiming very well in the ODI series in Sri Lanka? Slightly hypocritical.

I doubt they willchange the side from Sri Lanka, they shouldn't do, Cook's got to come in for Wright who still has a lot of work to do yet.

Yeah, a number of obvious problems with the New Zealand cricket team at the moment. First up is how we've practically lost an entire team, the team that achieved our #3 ODI ranking. Fleming, Astle, McMillan, Carins, Harris, Bond, Vettori (injury), Oram (injury). It hit NZ hard when most of the players left at around the same time. If you want to bring new blood into the squad, you want to bring in just a couple of players to learn off the experienced players. But there's the key problem, we don't have enough anymore.

I also think we need to clear out the coaching staff. Get Martin Crowe in there. I'd miss him as a decent commentator but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. For any other cricket team, or any other sports team, Bracewell would've been given the boot a long time ago. But NZ Cricket? No no, we'll give him time. There are so many coaches in NZ (former greats) who would well & truely be up for the job. Someone like Crowe or Wright or Rixon would do the trick.

And the players out of position annoyed me. They see someone do really well in the domestic scene, so they put them elsewhere in the international scene & wonder why they aren't doing well. This game isn't for Peter Fulton. He's a strokemaker, not a slogger. He'd much rather push through a nicely timed cover drive than blast a shot down the ground. I would've had Vincent instead of him for this version of the game. Now, instead of that, Fulton's moral & confidence will have taken a dive ahead of the ODI series, a series where he has the potential to shine. And Hitchcock? Batting at nine??? What's going on? He opens for Auckland!

To be honest, I don't care if we get thrashed in this tour. Just as long as I can see some kind of sign that NZ cricket is moving forward. Like I said, get Bracewell out of there, throw in someone who can define the word logic, & start playing players where they play best.

This has been another rant from Jos? Pedro. Expect many more throughout England's tour of New Zealand :p

So you think we can't drop harmy because of his performance in Sri Lanka but you think we should drop Broad from the ODI side despite him perforiming very well in the ODI series in Sri Lanka? Slightly hypocritical.

I doubt they willchange the side from Sri Lanka, they shouldn't do, Cook's got to come in for Wright who still has a lot of work to do yet.

We can't afford to go into a 50 over game with Mascarenhas at 7 in my opinion, so that means we have to drop one of those 5. Swann's spin is a good alternative, so he should stay in, Mascarenhas makes us strong at 8 with the bat, Anderson is a proven class bowler, and Sidebottom has started this tour superbly, so Broad is the obvious one to miss out.

Mascarenhas is fine when he's got Swann and Broad with him, Broads done nothing wrong so if we drop him it sends out completely the wrong message and England will never be a successful side again if we keep dropping players who perform.

We can't afford to go into a 50 over game with Mascarenhas at 7 in my opinion, so that means we have to drop one of those 5. Swann's spin is a good alternative, so he should stay in, Mascarenhas makes us strong at 8 with the bat, Anderson is a proven class bowler, and Sidebottom has started this tour superbly, so Broad is the obvious one to miss out.

i m partially agree with u. Broad is young n he can bat in some critical condition like he n bopara did against india.
May be i m so broad loving bt harmy should wait for couple of oneday n then they can give him chance in place of broad because if u drop strait away broad then it'll affect his confidense.
N u can't trust harmy,how much matches he gonna play?he has injured legs always.
Anyway collingwood is so cool n darling he'll chosse best.
In any case result won't get changed. Englan win by 4-1.

I AGREE STICK TO THE SAME SIDE

just let them groove it and learn the way

Australia had virtualy the same base of players for many years and thats ht we need if we are to become the best in teh world

Cook in for Wright, that's all I think England need to change for the ODI's.

Cook is in easily, his performances in the tour games made that obvious. He's just not a T20 player though. Who to drop? I think Wright could be dropped, but then he can have a huge impact at the end of games (He normally drops down in ODis, opens in T20). I could see Broad being dropped too. You can use medium pacers effectively in New Zealand.

It's a tough choice, Cook has to play though. Good form.

Users who are viewing this thread