England in Sri Lanka March-April 2011/12

lancashire666

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Taylor got destroyed by Sri Lanka A little over a month ago. He has a very poor tour agaisnt Bangledesh and Sri Lanka, there is no way I would either consider him for this series. It would be like playing Morgan, sending out a walking wicket where getting 10 runs would be a massive acheivement

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
You earn a Lions spot based on County Performances. I didn't realise that at that point, you no longer had to score a run to get promoted again :facepalm

lancashire666

International Coach
I'm not saying Taylor isn't talented, he's a fantastic batsman, but the way he was totally out of form for the Lions it would be a terrible decision to put him in the test side right now. He will play lots for England, and get thousands of runs, but why throw him in agaisnt a team who's back up players got him out for fun?
He's young and got many years ahead of him, give him chance to get him game developed a bit more so he's in a better position to take his chance when it comes.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Err, I'm agreeing with you dude. I don't see how anyone thinks that he deserves a callup on the back of an appalling winter.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Forget about his lions tour struggles.

If that the case, then ATM i reckon ENG potentially have a # 6 batsman quandary since the test credentials of Bopara and Patel are very iffy ATM.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Forget about his lions tour struggles.

If that the case, then ATM i reckon ENG potentially have a # 6 batsman quandary since the test credentials of Bopara and Patel are very iffy ATM.

Fully agree, place is up for the taking, and if no-one does enough in Sri Lanka, could come down to form at the start of the county season.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Not hotspot though. I read somewhere that they're using snicko which confused me as I thought it took too long to be part of DRS.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I think hotspot can often be inconclusive on it's own in terms of the things it's used for. It does however showup beautifully when the batsmen middles it :p

Snicko is definitely more accurate for determining the thin edges behind, and I guess possibly the bat/pads (LBW or Caught). Maybe, and this will sound pretty far fetched, but perhaps common sense prevailed?

Owzat

International Coach
But of course you have to see him as another Yardy, Blackwell, etc.

I don't rate him as good enough a batsman for Tests, not even that convinced for ODIs.

Would he get near the Test squad if we weren't playing in Sri Lanka and he didn't bowl spin.....................?

I think in UAE we proved we don't need five bowlers, we just need batsmen who can, well erm, bat. So where is Patel going to bat? Six? In truth I think the selectors have no balls or brains, they won't risk a youngster and there's not many experienced options out there, while Patel can bowl spin so I suspect that's how his selection came about.

The selectors should stand trial for picking Yardy and Wright for so long though (for ODIs)

6ry4nj

International Coach
So Hotspot sometimes misses faint edges. What's the big deal?

Regarding Hotspot (for those boards that can afford it of course), the rule that will be adopted is: if Hotspot doesn't show it, it didn't happen. I remember at least one case where a side (that will remain nameless) were bitching about a lbw call, saying that there was an edge that Hotspot didn't detect. Regardless of the letter of the law, if the "edge" causes no perceptible deviation, how can it possibly invalidate an lbw decision?

A smidgin of common sense and compromise is all it takes to come up with a consistent DRS that everyone can live with.

PS: The ICC must make Hotspot available for all series among the top ten. But first they must knock 75-90+% off the exorbitant price being charged by the monopoly supplier.

Last edited:

lancashire666

International Coach
Ravi and Finn being given a chance in the warm up game today. As long as Ravi get a few runs like he did I the ODIs against Pakistan then he looks to be the man in possession.
Broad will play in the test match so it looks like Finn is being given a chance to impress an try and force England into playing 3 seamers, but with Monty already in the wickets I fully expect Finn to miss out on a test spot.

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
It appears Monty is outbowling Swann again. I wonder how long Swann will keep the tag 'England's No.1 spinner'?

Well I always have rated Monty better then Swann on SC conditions. He has proved in UAE, now its time to prove it in Sri Lanka and then in India :)

Users who are viewing this thread