England in the 90s

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
New patch got me back playing.
Firstly I’d just say it’s an absolute scandal they’ve charged additional money on DLC and not resolved the issue of leg spinners going round the wicket to right handlers and throwing wide after wide after wide after wide (and left arm spin doing same from over).

but anyway, carried on with this and started 1993 Ashes.

Annihilated in 1st Test, lost by inns and 100-odd. Warne ripped me apart first inns and Hughes second. Caddick bowled very well for me on his debut with a 4-fer.

2nd test in progress - crazy first day. Aussies won the toss and batted first, collapsing to 58 all out before lunch. Caddick took another 3, 3 for Tuffers, 1 apiece for Foster, Lewis and Such with a run out too.

I get up to 190, a lead of 132 but all out with almost an hour to play on day one.

My batting is a disgrace.

will post pics/scorecards etc.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
ASHES 1993, FIRST 3 TESTS

Worth reminding you all I somehow won the 1990/91 Ashes, so England are defending the Urn.

1st Test, 2 collapses from England with Shane Warne taking 6 wickets in the first inns and Merv Hughes taking 6 in the second sees the Aussies take a lead with a huge Inns and 94 runs victory. Border's 51 was the highest score of the match, and Atherton the only batsman who looked decent for England.

RV8FALq.jpg

ohcma7k.jpg

IynOUbM.jpg

5Q3bZwX.jpg

Immediate bouncebackability from England in the 2nd test, ripping Australia out for 58 before lunch on day 1 with Caddick & Tufnell doing the bulk of the damage.

dLLHzjw.jpg

Vll20dj.jpg

Hick got England's first 50 of the series, but they still looked fairly shaky and were dismissed for just 190.

hS7UTFU.jpg

A century from Healy helped Australia recover from 59/4 in the second inns to post a target of 114, which England reached with 4 wickets to spare to level the series.

PoygUSZ.jpg

It was Australia's turn to follow up defeat with blasting out the opposition before lunch on day 1, England crumbling to 84 all out. Then centuries from Border and Mark Waugh gave Australia a chance to declare 272 in front.

England just got in front to make Australia bat again, but with just a target of 9 the result was a formality. Spare a thought for Gooch, stranded on 98* when Such was last man out, missing out on what would have been his (and England's) first century for a while. Atherton, who has batted reasonably solidly so far without setting the world alight, got his first 50 of the series too.

Ho9jZ98.jpg

oR0WzQc.jpg

EE5KLeV.jpg

0pWSU8r.jpg

Aussies lead 2-1 halfway through a 6 match series.
Post automatically merged:

Off to Headingley, where England have won the toss and chosen to bowl first under grey skies and with a green-looking pitch. We've named a 4-man seam attack of McCague, Illot, Caddick & Bicknell... what could possibly go wrong?

USvp8bd.jpg

lexluger

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Great effort in recreating all the minute details. Sad that cricket games are still a few decades away from being anywhere near realistic. Technically speaking creating retro teams and the atmosphere of cricket from those eras, accurately should be the bare minimum of cricket games given the limited number of teams that can play the test match format of the game.

santana1026

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
ENGLAND TOUR OF THE WEST INDIES - JANUARY - APRIL 1990

ATwnn6d.jpg

Graham Gooch leads a new-look side into the caribbean

The decade starts with a super-tough tour to the caribbean to face the still-dominant West Indies.

Shorn of the rebel tourists, new captain Graham Gooch makes a statement by leaving out veteran superstars Ian Botham and David Gower, proclaiming a demand for a new era of dedicated fitness-minded professionals. (Gower would later be called up as an injury replacement but not play in any tests or ODIs.) The uncapped Nasser Hussain, Chris Lewis, Keith Medleycott and Alec Stewart are all included. Lewis will compete for a place in the tests with fellow "New Botham", David Capel, and Medleycott will be back-up to experienced spinner Eddie Hemmings.

Squad: Graham Gooch (c), Rob Bailey, David Capel, Philip Defreitas, Angus Fraser, Eddie Hemmings, Nasser Hussain, Allan Lamb, Wayne Larkins, Chris Lewis, Devon Malcolm, Keith Medleycott, Jack Russell, Gladstone Small, Robin Smith, Alec Stewart. [David Gower and David Smith would be called up to the squad as replacements later.]

England are looking to fight fire with fire, with a bevvy of pacers in the squad - whether they can compete with a West Indies squad including veteran Marshall as well as Patterson, Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop remains to be seen.

Amazing stuff mate

santana1026

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I am going to try and play through the 90s as England, playing as many of their test series in order as I can. (I'll only be playing tests.)

At the start of the 90s, England hoped for a "New Dawn"... the 80s were a poor decade, returning just 20 Test victories from 104 matches, as well as seeing the rancour and division of 2 Rebel Tours, Sex and Drugs scandals, and home and away 5-0 "blackwash" defeats at the hand of the West Indies.

3 Ashes victories (2 home, 1 away) were among the few bright spots, but could also be explained by Australia experiencing a similarly troubled decade: the hangover of the WSC years still haunted them in the early years, and their own rebel-tour defectors souring the middle years. But Australia had shook off the doldrums to win the 1989 series 4-0.

The 80s finished with more controversy, not only was former England captain Mike Gatting leading another rebel Tour, but the Indians refused to accept the captaincy of the first Rebel Tour skipper, Graham Gooch, resulting in the cancellation of the planned tour of the first half of the 1989/90 winter.

Surely, as we head in to the last decade of the Millennium, England can emerge from the dark days of the 1980s and enter a new and more successful era?
Enjoyin this throughly mate. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread