Story England in the 1980s

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
1st Test - Jun 5-10 1980 at Trent Bridge - Day 1
England, captained in a test for the first time by Ian Botham look to rebound from the comprehensive defeats suffered in the ODI series.

The pitch looks brilliant for batting, and despite some cloud clover Clive Lloyd has no hesitation in choosing to bat first when he wins the toss. Greenidge and Haynes back up the captain's decision with a fine opening stand*. Greenidge reaches his half-century, and with the score on 99 it seems a century-stand well before lunch is in the offing. However, the very next ball Greenidge edges Willis to first slip where it parried but snapped up gratefully on the rebound by keeper Knott.

Richards is looking dominant, and though Haynes passes his 50 it's King Viv who is looking the more fluent. England are therefore delighted when shortly after lunch he tries a booming drive off Botham but catches the outside edge and is snapped up at slip for 23. The England captain then takes a fine catch at leg-gully to dismiss Bacchus off Hendrick for just 1, and with Woolmer having Kallicharran caught brilliantly at short leg by Boycott for 9, West Indies have slumped from 99/0 to 158/4.

Captain Clive Lloyd comes to the crease, and with Haynes dropping anchor it's the skipper who leads the counter attack, racing to 52* off just 70 balls as the Windies recover with a solid partnership. Haynes reaches his century shortly after, the partnership now worth 80. The partnership has reached 84 when Haynes is out, caught brilliantly on the run by Gooch trying to smash Willey's off spin down the ground, the opener out for exactly 100.

Lloyd remains solid, adding 47 more before the close in concert with keeper Murray as the evening session is interrupted briefly due to rain. 6 overs are lost in total as the West Indies close Day 1 on 289/5 off 89 overs.

A hard fought day ending slightly in the tourists' favour, although England will feel some early wickets in the morning and they're back in with a shout.

*sorry i don't know how but i managed to delete most of the opening stand! :(

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
1st Test - Day 2

England's quest for early wickets to sieze the initiative didn't quite go to plan, Lloyd and Murray taking their partnership well past 50. Lloyd appeared to be progressing smoothly to his hundred, but on 99 Willis found his edge through to Knott... dropped! A lifeline, and the West indies captain duly got the single to take him through to a fine century. But as with Haynes, it was a case of exactly 100 and out, as in the next over he tried to cut Botham but got a top edge to slip.

This brought Marshall to the wicket, and he should have gone cheaply when he edged Hendrick down the leg side on 12 but was again dropped by Knott. This would prove very costly, as Marshall and Murray both passed 50 in a century stand. Murray eventually went for 75 thanks to a brilliant catch at cover point by Woolmer to give Botham his 3rd wicket, before England made light work of the remainder of the tail to leave Marshall on 61*, and the West indies all out for 439 in 137.3 overs. Botham (4-89) and Willis (3-80) the leading the way with the ball.

England openers Gooch and Boycott got over the first hurdle, negotiating the hour before tea without loss to go in to the interval at 30/0.

The openers took their stand past 50, and it was a brave stand against fast hostile bowling: all the runs in the stand had been scored off the back foot except for a couple of quick singles snuck off forward defensives. The 50 came up off 106 balls. In the 21st over there was a landmark moment - a run scored off a front foot drive, but it was against the spin of Viv Richards, given a few overs to try and break the partnership.

Otherwise, it remained the short-pitched approach from the fearsome 4-man attack of Roberts, Holding, Marshall and Garner. The England openers were showing good discipline but scoring was tough, the run rate always under 3 an over. The pressure told, when Holding gave Gooch a full ball to drive the England man could only edge it to Murray behind the stumps, out for 46 with the score on 87/1.

As expected, Tavare was at home with the disciplined approach as England inched past 100. On the 4th ball of the 40th over, Tavare drove Roberts down the pitch for 1 and that was the first run scored off one of the pacers from an attacking front-foot shot. The short-pitched assault can scramble the batsman's brain, and that was the likeliest explanation for Tavare's bizarre shot to a yorker from Marshall to trap him LBW for 9 off 29 balls.

Boycott was looking solid, but needed a slice of luck to bring up his 50, an edge on to the pads deflected past Murray's dive and allowing him to scramble for 2. It was a fine and deserved half-century, scored from 120 balls and with just 4 boundaries, 2 of which were off Richards. Along with Woolmer Boycott saw England safely to the close of the second day on 128/2. Boycott 55* (129) and Woolmer 12* (19).

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
And if anyone is interested yes I did indeed bowl every ball of 137.3 overs and then bat at 2.72 runs an over... and I bloody loved it.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't want to give too much away about what's happened in Day 3 (I've most of the evening session still to play) but as I said earlier this test match has been brilliant so far. Don't want to jinx it but I'd say it's the best match I've had by a mile and felt so real.

The AI played really well. 2 hundreds in the innings (pity both got out for exactly 100 and no really big score). It was tough bowling on a flat pitch against brilliant batsmen. It really was a case of attacking new batsmen then sitting in and containing the set ones.

When batting, my god I really felt the pressure of facing 4 world class fast bowlers, the short-pitched stuff was relentless at times. The Gooch dismissal was classic - need a 4 to get to 50, been getting short pitched balls then suddenly there's a full one wide of off stump and the eyes light up and throw the kitchen sink at it and you're back in the hutch. Again there was also the feeling of the batting getting easier (a very little) as the ball got older - the opening spell from Roberts and Holding I was scoring under 2 an over, so 2.7 in the end was quite an acceleration believe me! I don't think I've ever had a tougher yet more enjoyable batting session.

I'm still annoyed that it seems on legend (or just post patch 4) bowleds and lbws are not available as dismissal methods vs the AI. (at the patch 4 point i switched from veteran to legend so i don't know which is responsible, but i used to get both methods now they're rarer than rocking horse shit.) and the AI fetish for last ball boundaries in tests is also annoying. i don't understand how either could make it in as design choices but i believe they are. that's pretty staggering to me.

but overall, hell this has so far been an absolutely brilliant test match to play.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Love the fact you can have different grounds in DBC17. Love the Bob Willis character and of cause Big Bird Joel Garner.

One factual inaccuracy though is that Viv Richards never wears a helmet :p

I don't recall England ever getting to 120-2 for 2 very often but interesting and pleased Windies bowled many short pitched deliveries.

For you to bat and bowl every delivery proves how challenging you are finding non career element of game. Sorry but I actually want England to lose as I am in awe of that Windies team (as I make very obvious!)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Love the fact you can have different grounds in DBC17. Love the Bob Willis character and of cause Big Bird Joel Garner.

One factual inaccuracy though is that Viv Richards never wears a helmet :p

I don't recall England ever getting to 120-2 for 2 very often but interesting and pleased Windies bowled many short pitched deliveries.

For you to bat and bowl every delivery proves how challenging you are finding non career element of game. Sorry but I actually want England to lose as I am in awe of that Windies team (as I make very obvious!)

they're favourites at tea on day 3 :)

yeah actually i imagine at this point in 1980 most if not all players were helmet-less. might change the uniforms for the return series.

career has never interested me. but things like the fielding set bug and the other annoyances i mentioned in my prior post aside, I find the DBC gameplay bloody good.

in dbc14 i don't think i ever completed a single tour or competition prior to franco's hack. and in fact i hardly completed any first class match before the hack - the lack of edges meant you were punished for bowling with realistic fields and bowling without slips at the start of a test killed any immersion for me.

in dbc17 i've completed the full england 82 rebel tour (2 tour matches, 3 tests, 3 odis), the arosa sri lanka rebel tour (1 tour match, 2 odis & 2 tests), and now the australia 79/80 tour (5 odis in WSC cup, 3 tests), india 1980 one-off test, and already 2 odis and almost 3 days of 1 test of this series. that's in addition to several other casual matches of differing lengths.

i think dbc17 is a bloody brilliant cricket game. there - i've said it :)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
England v West Indies 1st Test 1980 at Trent Bridge, Day 3.

England resume looking to build on a solid start, with the West Indies knowing early wickets will allow them to seize the initiative. It's the tourists who get what they want, Holding removing Woolmer early on for 17. With Boycott still looking solid, Gower overcomes a shaky start to help the opener keep England in the game. But disaster strikes when Gower is caught in the slips also for 17, this time Roberts the bowler.

Captain Botham steps to the wicket at 173/4. When the Windies skipper Lloyd came out in a similar situation, his response was a brilliant century to lead his side to big total. What will be Botham's response??? It's a golden duck! Bottom edging a cut through to the keeper to give Roberts 2 wickets in 2 balls.

With England now slumped to 173/5 still 67 short of the follow on, they were grateful both for the immovable Boycott and having packed their batting line-up so that Willey comes in at number 7.

The all rounder provided great support, ushering Boycott to a brilliant 100 off 206 balls. He also provided a great moment, an attempted leave to a bouncer catchingbhis bat and flying for 6.

However, when Garner went round the wicket to Willey he began to struggle, and was bowled playing completely the wrong line to a Yorker on leg stump, out for 20. England were 218/6 still not safe from the follow on.

Knott joined Boycott, taking England to 227/6 at lunch. After lunch, Knott looked in fine form, taking England past the follow on mark quickly. Boycott suddenly looked less fluent, but worked through the tough patch and was looking good again when he top edged a hook and was caught at fine leg for a brilliant 124. Knott followed quickly for 30, and with Lever unable to evade yet another short ball and edging behind, England were 283/9. A handy last wicket partnership from Willis and Hendrick took England up to 306 all out, a deficit of 133. Greenidge and Haynes seeing Windies through to tea unscathed at 11/0.

England needed quick wickets after tea, and Haynes obliged with a horrible shot seeing him caught at mid-off to give Lever his first wicket if the match.

Greenidge was put down in the gully, a potentially costly miss. Richards was again looking aggressive and fluent, but once more got himself out after a quick cameo for 20.

Bacchus struggled at the start and looked like he was a walking wicket, but came through the tough period to reach stumps on 20*. At the other end Greenidge became increasingly fluent in reaching a second 50 of the match, closing on 53*.

At the end of day 3 West Indies are in a commanding position, 105/2 - a lead of 238.

That's a match situation to make @zimrahil happy - even if he'll be upset at Viv getting out cheaply twice.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
That's a match situation to make @zimrahil happy - even if he'll be upset at Viv getting out cheaply twice.

That's word perfect, on all counts

I want to see Viv smash it all round the ground and out the park on the way to a 56 ball hundred :D

Facing that Windies attack in 4th innings? - good luck!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
That's word perfect, on all counts

I want to see Viv smash it all round the ground and out the park on the way to a 56 ball hundred :D

Facing that Windies attack in 4th innings? - good luck!

i'm aiming for 300-ball 13 from Tavare to save the match

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
the above report is pretty much up to exactly where i've played. think i bowled 2 or 3 overs of day 4. it's really tense and exciting - spark a collapse and i'm still in with a shout, if they bat most of the day i'm up against it.

there's also the issue of keeping their run rate down - every over they're out there is one I don't have to bat if i'm trying to save the game.

absolutely fantastic, tense and realistic match this. i can't recall a better set-up match that i've played on any cricket game.[DOUBLEPOST=1502125999][/DOUBLEPOST]
:lol :lol - trust me not many people will get that. He had such an unusual batting grip too

i don't actually recall him too well, only by reputation.

hopefully i will live up to his reputation and my nom-de-plume!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
What a massive disappointment... i'll do a proper report and video when i've got time but this match has had the shine taken off it by @BigAntStudios inability to get basic elements of cricket right, or to care enough to give even a cursory QA to match situations.

So having completed the 3rd innings, my run chase (not giving too much away but 400+) starts just before tea on day 4, and i'm facing Balanced fields. seriously - sweepers on the cover boundary and no more than 2 slips.

I've addressed the situation by switching to the bowling side to change to an attacking field, but the down side of that is you then get stuck with that field forevermore as even though field change notices pop up the field stays the same. i really don't see myself wanting to keep switching just to change the field.

i'll play through to the end of this match anyway, but that's probably the end of the line otherwise, because what is the tweaking point?

i was probably one of the last people still playing basic ps4 and actually enjoying it. chalk down another win to @Ross and the boys - goodwill evaporated.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
That's such a shame Dave. A potentially great match dampened by the age old bug. As you said probably one of few remaining PS4 users. It's seems to be PC version or play another game at present.....

Users who are viewing this thread