Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
Hopefully Cooky'll be back now, has been a monkey on his back for a long time and hopefully he can get back to scoring hundreds regularly. The batting line-up is certainly looking strong going into The Ashes, just the bowling we've gotta sort out now!

Come on Cooky, prove us all wrong, show that you can score a hundred.

Did anyone doubt he could?

Was fairly amusing though, in a slightly sadistic way to watch him struggle to keep composure on 99. But well done to the lad, deserves it.

So after 5 days England have scored 879 runs and lost 8 wickets. WI have scored 749 runs and lost 9 wickets. Does this mean we win?

Yeh think so, pretty sure that was the agreement. Nice average booster for KP as well, surprised he didn't want to go on and get a hundred. Not that selfish a player after all, seemed to be playing with flair as well, not good for his 50/100 conversion rate though, he's getting close to 50% now :(

Youngest batsmen to get to 3 thousand runs, Cookie chops in third place. Well done A.Cook, maybe he is not over rated in ICC. Long live the Alastair (Darling).

ALISTAIR%20DARLING%202.jpg

Ok so everyone is calling for Khan to come in for the next game. I would consider playing Rashid as an allrounder and with Prior back the batting is strong enough to cope with 5 bowlers.

The thing I want to know is how Khan has just jumped ahead of Ali and Hoggard in the pecking order after a decent season in county cricket where he played 6 games. Course I'd love to see him do well but I doubt he is the best choice.

No harm trying Rashid IMO. The great Mushy could not pick him in the nets and he will be more like to get turn than a finger spinner.

Last edited:
But who do you drop? You can't go in with 2 seamers and 2 spinners, on a result pitch you need depth in batting, and Swann's been incredibly impressive, so unless Swann gets an injury then there's no way Rashid can get into the side. Rashid could have played in this game in place of Bopara, as we'd have needed as many bowlers as possible, but on a result pitch you need 6 batsmen plus the keeper, there's no point having the ability to take 20 wickets if you've got no runs on the board. Which of the batsmen would you drop as well? Be incredibly harsh to drop Shah after only batting 4 innings.

I think the best XI we can go in with is:

Strauss (C)
Cook
Shah
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bopara
Prior (WK)
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Amjad/Harmison/Sidebottom

I'd actually take Harmison ahead of Sidebottom as well. I've not been at all impressed with Sidebottom since the NZ home series. He's looked down on pace, has consistently bowled way too wide and has never looked threatening for a prolonged period of time, add to that the fact that he's not fit. Harmison didn't bowl that badly at the ARG, got alot of unfair flak. He was struggling with sickness in the first innings, but he bowled with decent pace and accuracy in the 2nd innings, and would have been far more effective in this last match than Sidebottom. I'd be up for giving Amjad a go ahead of both of them though tbh, although as I stated earlier in the thread, he would not be first option as 3rd seamer. Jones (when fit), Kabir Ali, Hoggard, Bresnan, Tremlett and possibly Plunkett could possibly be considered ahead of him, I can't say I've seen a great deal of Amjad though, just wasn't particularly impressed with what I did see. He's got wickets in the tour match though, so could be worth a go.

good to hear Gayle say that there will be some changes made for the next test. I hope he is talking about Powell and maybe Hinds.

Guessing that'll mean Baker and Simmons coming in right? Considering the squad named is the same as the last Test, or do they plan on making changes to that as well?

My ideal team for the next Test:

1. Andrew Strauss (c)
2. Alastair Cook
3. Owais Shah
4. Paul Collingwood
5. Ravi Bopara
6. Matt Prior (wk)
7. Stuart Broad
8. Graeme Swann
9. James Anderson
10. Steve Harmison
11. Amjad Khan

But who do you drop? You can't go in with 2 seamers and 2 spinners, on a result pitch you need depth in batting, and Swann's been incredibly impressive, so unless Swann gets an injury then there's no way Rashid can get into the side. Rashid could have played in this game in place of Bopara, as we'd have needed as many bowlers as possible, but on a result pitch you need 6 batsmen plus the keeper, there's no point having the ability to take 20 wickets if you've got no runs on the board. Which of the batsmen would you drop as well? Be incredibly harsh to drop Shah after only batting 4 innings.

I think the best XI we can go in with is:

Strauss (C)
Cook
Shah
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bopara
Prior (WK)
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Amjad/Harmison/Sidebottom

Some issues on the team.

Trinidad, we have to win, simple as, we must take 20 wickets. We have to play 5 bowlers and take the risk, better to lose 2-0 and attempt to win than to lose 1-0 whilst having an attack which lacks depth.

This match was difficult to fairly judge our bowlers, but it was clear that Sidebottom isn't up to the gig any more. Who comes in? Can't be Harmison, he was dropped because of poor form, I think we should give Amjad a go.

Two changes for me, quite bold, but we need to be:

Rashid and Khan in for Shah and Sidebottom.

I don't believe we can drop Ravi after a 100, though Shah would be deemed the senior player. Tough call, but we have to drop a batsman and have the option of the wrist spin, not forgetting a decent batsman.

Oh and Prior in for Ambrose.

Users who are viewing this thread