Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
I hope Rashid gets a go, the prospect of seeing leg spin in an England side is exciting.

I hope Rashid gets a go, the prospect of seeing leg spin in an England side is exciting.

It certainly is but I don't think England will give him a go. If they need a second spinner, Swann will be the man they go to. I don't think Rashid will get a game for England until possibly next winter.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Rashid come in if Freddie's not fit, but he won't. It'll be Shah coming in at 3, with Colly at 5 and Bell at 6. Could be good for Bell. His best cricket always comes further down the order, his best spell of Test cricket came against Pakistan where he made 3 hundreds in a series batting at 6. I still think we should drop Collingwood for Shah, I firmly believe that we've got a heck of a talent in Ian Bell, and although he cops alot of slack he does average 41 in Test cricket with 8 hundreds, and his home record is even better than that, averaging 45 with 6 of his hundreds coming at home. He has to play in The Ashes if you ask me, you can't possibly drop a man that averages 45 in England.

Another little stat regarding Bell, and possibly one that could be used to reaffirm the 'Bottler' tag that's been stamped on him. In England's first innings he averages 65.19 in England, with all of his hundreds coming in the 1st innings, yet in England's 2nd innings he averages 17 with a top score of 67. That's a pretty amazing stat really. Phenomenal record in the first innings though, it must be a mental thing, if he can get his run scoring in he 2nd innings sorted he'll be one heck of a player. To average 65 in England from 26 Tests is bloody impressive.

Last edited:
I like Bell. I really think he would be good coming in at 3, and Shah down the order. Now I'm no expert on English cricket, but with that stat you provided just proves that 3 would be great for him. You only want to bat once in a Test, and to do that your top order needs to fire. England are more then capable of scoring 500+ with Cook, Strauss, Bell and KP in the top order. Then some late runs by Colly and fast runs by Shah will get you to that 500 mark.

Bell is a bottler. I guarantee everyone here he won't score past 50 on a ground outside London (one that isn't a complete pancake). If he does I will get myself a little sig saying Ian Bell isn't a little bottler and has loads of potential which he will convert. Which of course we all know isn't true. Ian Bell will not be there when we need him. He never will. He doesn't not have the cojones. We can carry on playing him and he will go down alongside the likes of Mark Ramprakash and Graeme Hick when we need someone who is the complete opposite like Graham Thorpe.

Anyway know I have my daily Bell hate out the way, good news on Fred but I would rest him anyway, no point risking it. Especially if Shah scores some runs and we have to drop Bell, that is the ideal scenario :D Anyway though, Monty is bowling repetitive rubbish and players are having no problems with him, he will get picked but eventually he will be replaced. Rashid doesn't have a particularly good record tbh so I would go with Swann.

Read today that Monty finally seems to be trying to improve and cahnge as a bowler and player.
According to the Telegraph, I think, their reporter told of a dramatic change to his run up and slight alteration to his action which apparently allowed him to bowl slower with more dip exactly what people have been telling him to do for ages. He was also seen setting his own field so it looks like Mushy might be doing his magic already.

Hopefully he does kick on a bit.

That's one thing that you've got to credit Monty for, he does work incredibly hard on his game. He's one of the hardest workers in the game, especially on his fielding and batting, he's just rubbish, he can't help that. I think if Mushy gets Monty bowling properly he'll have to be brought in permanently, could have a Donald-esque impact on our quicks. We really should try and get Allan Donald back into the England team, he got the bowlers bowling so well, and Ottis Gibson clearly sucks, the only bowler that's bowling better since he came in is Anderson, the rest have declined if anything =/

262 for 4 at lunch. Cook a fifty, Strauss a hundred.

Bell out for 49...

Last edited:
Cook a hundred??

I've seen he retired on 50

"Captain Andrew Strauss scored a century on the final day of England's three-day match against St Kitts & Nevis.

Earlier, opening partner Alastair Cook retired on his overnight 50. "

Why the hell did Cook retire on 50, does he actually not want to score another Hundred? I swear he's doing it on purpose now :/
It wouldn't really matter in this game though. If he does it next week it would be more helpful. ;)

Broad picked up another 2 wickets, 2/18 off 4 overs, a little expensive, but wicket taking none the less. Harmison picked up his 2nd of the match as well. Pretty good tour game for England. All the batsmen making runs of some kind, Bell getting 2 starts which is promising, although it would have been nice to have seen him go on and make a hundred. Prior'll be the only one going into the 2nd Warm Up lacking time in the middle, making only 19 runs in the match.

St Kitts are 100/3 at Tea, so England have a session to take 7 wickets. Would be nice to see them do it, can't see it happening though tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread