Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
That average probably had a lot to do with the bucketload of wickets he got against New Zealand.

Well, he took a lot of tailend wickets against SA as well, which helped a bit. If doesn't get his act together really soon I would look at Swann and Rashid straight away. While Monty is bowling poorly he adds nothing to the batting or the fielding and Swann and Rashid deserve to be given an opportunity anyway.

I just get the feeling people are slightly too harsh on him, yes he hasn't performed as wanted but Bell and Colly have had a stupid amount of chances compared to Monty. Give him the series if he fails then yes I think he should be given a "rest" as the ECB like to call it as they did with Strauss then bring him back if he regains form if not then Rashid and Swann should be given opportunities

KP hit a switch hit for six in his 103 :D Was a bloody big boundary as well. The guy that caught Fred did some nifty little skills as well. Can't wait for the Test series!

I just get the feeling people are slightly too harsh on him, yes he hasn't performed as wanted but Bell and Colly have had a stupid amount of chances compared to Monty. Give him the series if he fails then yes I think he should be given a "rest" as the ECB like to call it as they did with Strauss then bring him back if he regains form if not then Rashid and Swann should be given opportunities

Bell and Colly both average over 40 in test cricket, I don't think keeping people with proven test records in the team can be classed as 'stupid amounts of chances.' Monty's bowling average is about 33 for the last 12 months, which isn't bad, but he was outbowled by Swann in India, who's a better batsman and a better fielder too.

My team:

Strauss
Cook
Shah
KP
Bell
Flintoff
Prior
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson
Broad

You are one of the only people who could make that situation gay!
The world is a beautiful place and if you have to be gay to appreciate it then I'm up for a bit of bum in the right amounts.

@FF How can you drop Colly, he hit a 100 in India 2 games ago. and he doesn't bottle it like Bell. and Broad is not a number 11 :p

Bell and Colly both average over 40 in test cricket, I don't think keeping people with proven test records in the team can be classed as 'stupid amounts of chances.' Monty's bowling average is about 33 for the last 12 months, which isn't bad, but he was outbowled by Swann in India, who's a better batsman and a better fielder too.

True good points they do both have good established records but they have underperfomed for quite a while now and Bells average would be less than 40 if he hadn't scored that 199 so his average is slightly propped up by it.
I admit I was slighty exagerative about "stupid amount of chances" but they have had alot more between them compared to Monty who to be fair played poorly in India but was ok in 2008 if not at his best.

Swann outbowled him not doubt about that but if it goes down to bowling Monty is better just out of form and the fact that our batting is pretty deep if Broad is included then I feel Swanns plus points over Monty don't outweigh Monty's superior bowling.
But saying that if Monty continues like he did in India I'd have no problems about him being dropped.

The world is a beautiful place and if you have to be gay to appreciate it then I'm up for a bit of bum in the right amounts.

@FF How can you drop Colly, he hit a 100 in India 2 games ago. and he doesn't bottle it like Bell. and Broad is not a number 11 :p

Sorry, my mistake, always stop paying attention to the batting order when I get bast 7.

I'd sooner have Bell than Colly, mainly because he's younger. He has the potential to become a really special batsman and Colly is pretty much at his peak IMO. Plus Bell is great to watch when he's batting well so I always pick him just for that :p

Yeh, I'd take Bell over Collingwood as well. Love watching Bell bat when in top form, hes still got serious potential, whereas Collys on the downward slope!

True good points they do both have good established records but they have underperfomed for quite a while now and Bells average would be less than 40 if he hadn't scored that 199 so his average is slightly propped up by it.
I admit I was slighty exagerative about "stupid amount of chances" but they have had alot more between them compared to Monty who to be fair played poorly in India but was ok in 2008 if not at his best.

Swann outbowled him not doubt about that but if it goes down to bowling Monty is better just out of form and the fact that our batting is pretty deep if Broad is included then I feel Swanns plus points over Monty don't outweigh Monty's superior bowling.
But saying that if Monty continues like he did in India I'd have no problems about him being dropped.

I've never really understood that argument. It's hardly surprising that their record will look worse if you take out their highest innings, no?

The things that worried me about Monty is that he doesn't seem to have developed since he came into the side. Yes, his batting and fielding have improved but his bowling is what's really important and it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

Sorry, my mistake, always stop paying attention to the batting order when I get bast 7.

I'd sooner have Bell than Colly, mainly because he's younger. He has the potential to become a really special batsman and Colly is pretty much at his peak IMO. Plus Bell is great to watch when he's batting well so I always pick him just for that :p

yeah I do that ;) I am a massive Colly fan because of his unforgettable Aussie kicking in the CBS but I don't think Bell will be there for us. I would like to see one of Bopara, Trott, Patel, Shah etc get a chance now. I know Bell looks good for the first 30 runs but we need more than that :p

KP how is Colly on a downward slope? Bell is the one who's average has gone down every year of his career.

Last edited:
I've never really understood that argument. It's hardly surprising that their record will look worse if you take out their highest innings, no?

The things that worried me about Monty is that he doesn't seem to have developed since he came into the side. Yes, his batting and fielding have improved but his bowling is what's really important and it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.

No Monty probably hasn't improved as much as expected but I still feel that he has more potential than Swann has to improve what with him being alot younger and I feel that Monty is better at bowling than Swann is.

Ok its not the best reason to say someone someone should be under pressure as they havent done well when their best innings in taken out but apart from that Innings Bell has been poor for a year now, I still feel he should be in the team ahead of Colly however.

yeah I do that ;) I am a massive Colly fan because of his unforgettable Aussie kicking in the CBS but I don't think Bell will be there for us. I would like to see one of Bopara, Trott, Patel, Shah etc get a chance now. I know Bell looks good for the first 30 runs but we need more than that :p

Don't get me wrong, I like Colly too, but if I had to pick between him and Bell for the test team I'd go Bell. Notice I have picked Shah in my side, and I don't think Trott or Patel offer as much as Bell do. Big Bopara fan though, couldn't really complain if he got picked.

Users who are viewing this thread