Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

• Kieron Pollard???

• Total voters
Hmmm i'm guessing this is a good chance for Broad to bat at 6. See if he can replicate Flintoff. But nevertheless a big blow.

Freddie has been sent to Jamaica to have a scan on his side, the same injury that meant he had to wait until the South Africa series to make his comeback last year instead of New Zealand.

Owais Shah has an eye injury, too, according to Cricinfo; he didn't come on the field for today's play. Hope that isn't serious.

Cricinfo - Flintoff sent for scan as Shah drops out

St Kitts are 175/7 I think when I read the last update on Sky Sports with Anderson and Broad picking up two wickets and Harmison and Panesar with one.

I would imagine that Anderson is a shoe in for the first test, and then it's a matter of picking between Harmison, Broad, Panesar, Swann and Rashid. I'd personally go in with:

Cook
Strauss
Shah
Pietersen
Bell
Flintoff/Rashid
Prior (Prior would move to 6 with Rashid at 7 if Freddies not fit)
Broad
Harmison
Anderson
Panesar

That'd be what I'd go with, we need to pick the 3 seamers considering Fred may not be 100% come the first Test, and we can't afford to go in with 2 plus Fred because if he gets injured we'll be at a big disadvantage, although if Lionel Baker and Daren Powell play, West Indies are going in with a 2 bowler attack anyway :p

That'd be what I'd go with, we need to pick the 3 seamers considering Fred may not be 100% come the first Test, and we can't afford to go in with 2 plus Fred because if he gets injured we'll be at a big disadvantage, although if Lionel Baker and Daren Powell play, West Indies are going in with a 2 bowler attack anyway :p

Well knowing the selectors they will go with Powell but I would prefer Baker. There are other guys that I would have ahead of both of them but Baker>>>Powell any day.

Baker and Powell are just as useless as each other, imo.

Baker and Powell are just as useless as each other, imo.

It's not often I post or respond to post in this thread, simply because I am a West Indian!!!
But I could not agree with you more, we all know what Edwards and Taylor can do with the ball, but with the absence of Bravo, having Powell and Baker still puts us one bowler short.

Our selectors seems to be far out at sea clutching at straws, with nothing in sight, not even a stump or a bat, so they keep making selections in the hope that they will delay the end.
I don't understand why select an A Team to play a match, the match is yet to be played but already the test side is selected, giving and leaving no room for guys to fight for a spot.

Our biggest find for the summer was Nash, he seems even more organised than the likes of Sarwan, he is a welcome add to our middle order, but we lack another fast bowler and frankly Powell nor Baker would be my choice.
Currently on the domestic front, the former test players from Barbados are the ones doing well, both has test experience, Collins 32, Left Arm Seamer has the ability to take pace of the ball, with 32 test under his belt 106 wickets @ 34, I would put him in my XI on any given day before Powell.

Monty picks up 4. Mushy's doing his job already. Nice to see Broady and Jimmy amongst the wickets as well. St Kitts all out for 251. Strauss and Cook have an unbeaten partnership of 118 at close, with Strauss on 59 and Cook on 50. Cook will get out early tommorow ;) Need Belly to hit a nice unbeaten ton tommorow to book himself a place, although if Shah's injured he'll play anyway.

Finally England doing well in a warm up, looks like everyone looks in good form, Broad getting some wickets, Monty did well which will give him a lift Harmy seems to have struggled though which is a big worry and Rashid doesn't seem to have done overly well so I doubt he'll get in.

All the batters barring Bell look in form aswell, all has started well :cheers

Monty's probably has now sealed his place for the first test unless Swann or Rashid can take wickets in the second innings. I hope Monty really is back to his best since it's crucial that a decision is made on him.

I wouldn't be too hard on Rashid. He's playing for England for the first time and probably would be nervous. We'll see how he goes in the second innings since England probably will declare at some point soon to give the bowlers a go.

Broad and Anderson have done well. Broad in particular and it puts him in good stead.

If Flintoff isn't fit for the first test I can see Rashid batting at 6. or Prior 6, then Rashid and broad.

If Flintoff isn't fit they'll play the six batsmen with Shah coming in I think.

They won't play Rashid unless we get to a two spinner pitch, which may be in Antigua where the pitch is very flat. Even then he'll have to compete with Swann.

Users who are viewing this thread