England Team Discussion

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I for one am very excited to see his first-class batting average drop back below 30 this season
Dunno if you watch the Wisden podcast, but Ben Jones from Cricviz was on a couple of weeks ago and pretty much said that all their modelling suggested Zak Crawley was never going to make a good test cricketer. But, he also agreed, he'll probably play.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Dunno if you watch the Wisden podcast, but Ben Jones from Cricviz was on a couple of weeks ago and pretty much said that all their modelling suggested Zak Crawley was never going to make a good test cricketer. But, he also agreed, he'll probably play.
I've not caught much of the Wisden podcast, but honestly that pretty much comes as no surprise.

I do however think Zak Crawley is a fascinating player because he absolutely is capable of pulling a stunning Test innings out of his arse. Not like Brendon Kuruppu absolutely steadfastly refusing to get out and earning runs on his way, but like a prime M*chael V*ughan or Damien Martyn where he'll put together a hundred of such obvious quality that everyone is convinced that he has the pedigree.

But the rest of the time he's got all the technique and temperament of prime Hannan Sarkar - as shown when over the course of a year he averaged 10.

He's like the saying "you've got to be good enough to be truly bad" got moulded into 6'5" of batting kit. The idea behind that saying is that if you're truly not good enough for a role then you'll never be given it for long enough to prove just how bad you could be at it. But to be truly awful, awful enough to play a year of Test cricket while averaging 10, you need to first prove you might be good enough to persevere with.

However, there is one person who I can imagine getting the best out of him. After his first 40 Tests, sometimes batting as low as eight or nine, Brendon McCullum averaged just 31.80 and had only two centuries. Without any fundamental change to his technique, McCullum turned that into a last 20 Tests that yielded an average of over 50 with five centuries (scores of 224, 302, 202, 195 and 145 respectively), often batting in the top three.

If anyone can get a Test batter out of Zak Crawley, it's the guy England just hired to coach him.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
1652793208855.png

New England ODI Kit... hmm looks decentish!

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I like the new ODI kit. Looks fresher than its counterparts and someone with good design aptitude seems to have been brought on board here. Good one!

karolkarol

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Ireland (Cricket)
The fact that they've not picked Josh Bohannon blows my mind

The fact that they're promoting Ollie Pope to 3 having never batted there in first class cricket has an Ian Bell-esque disaster written all over it. I was expecting either Bohannon or Haines.

Also, what more does Parkinson have to do?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
View attachment 266835

Put my life on the two missing out of the XI being Brook and Potts...
I'd assume they wouldn't call up Foakes if he wasn't going to play, although Surrey don't have a match until after the first test and he might not be a banker to play T20 Blast. So he could clean Jonny's boots.

Crawley (v/c)
Lees
Pope (apparently this is the rumour)
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Overton (for his batting)
Broad
Anderson
Leach/Potts

I guess if Foakes was dropped they could play Brook at 5.

Aislabie

Ireland
I'd assume they wouldn't call up Foakes if he wasn't going to play, although Surrey don't have a match until after the first test and he might not be a banker to play T20 Blast.

Crawley (v/c)
Lees
Pope (apparently this is the rumour)
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Overton (for his batting)
Broad
Anderson
Leach/Potts

I guess if Foakes was dropped they could play Brook at 5.
If I were in the selectors' shoes, I'd have probably tabled the following options for the top seven:

1. unsure, thus Crawley keeps it as the incumbent (plus I'm really invested in his first-class average dropping below 30 for the memes)
2. unsure, thus Lees keeps it as the incumbent
3. either Josh Bohannon or Jonny Bairstow
4. Joe Root
5. either Harry Brook or Ollie Pope
6. Ben Stokes :c:
7. either Jonny Bairstow or Ben Foakes

Aislabie

Ireland
I know English fast bowlers getting injured is quite the meme, but even by English standards this is incredible.

I also enjoy how all of these younger fast bowlers who are The Future™ are stuck in the treatment bin, while Broad and Anderson who are considered to be a Fitness Risk™ are still both fully fit into a ripe old age

Users who are viewing this thread