England Team Discussion

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
When Ben Stokes plays World Cups England get to finals. Great news to be honest. It just means we have the Morgan hole to fill - maybe the Archer hole but who the hell knows if he will fill it himself or not.
As far as I can see Stokes fits into the Morgan hole assuming he's not bowling. If he is bowling then the only hole he'll fill is a hospital bed.

Supreme General

County Cricketer
Kinda wished he concentrated on getting his knee better, cause he’s almost definitely can’t bowl and if this makes worse than that severely jeopardises our test team. Does a half injured Ben stokes on one leg increase our team’s ability so much that it’s worth it or do we have the batters already who can do good enough or equally good enough jobs without the risk?

Aislabie

Ireland
Yeah, I'd expect that to be how they work it. Assuming Livingstone is gonna bowl the Stokes overs unless they want to squeeze Brook into the side.
I still think my idea of Joverton at 7 makes the side better, ngl - even though they'll probably put Scurran there

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I still think my idea of Joverton at 7 makes the side better, ngl - even though they'll probably put Scurran there
Overton certainly looks like he has a higher ceiling than Curran but I would be surprised if any other seamer got into the squad unless Archer is ruled out.

I'd expect it to look something like this:

1 Bairstow
2 Roy
3 Root
4 Stokes
5 Buttler
6 Livingstone
7 Curran
8 Woakes
9 Wood
10 Archer
11 Rashid
12 Topley
13 Moeen

With the rest from:
Spare batter: Brook or Malan Outside chance: Duckett/Salt
Spinning all rounder: Jacks/Rehan/Dawson (just cause he always gets to sit on the bench)
If Archer ain't fit: Atkinson/J Overton/Carse/Willey/L Wood

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Overton certainly looks like he has a higher ceiling than Curran but I would be surprised if any other seamer got into the squad unless Archer is ruled out.

I'd expect it to look something like this:

1 Bairstow
2 Roy
3 Root
4 Stokes
5 Buttler
6 Livingstone
7 Curran
8 Woakes
9 Wood
10 Archer
11 Rashid
12 Topley
13 Moeen

With the rest from:
Spare batter: Brook or Malan Outside chance: Duckett/Salt
Spinning all rounder: Jacks/Rehan/Dawson (just cause he always gets to sit on the bench)
If Archer ain't fit: Atkinson/J Overton/Carse/Willey/L Wood
Don't think Roy makes it, Malan probably pips him

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Don't think Roy makes it, Malan probably pips him
I'd be astonished if they broke up the Bairstow/Roy combo, particularly to play Dawid Malan.

No opening partnership, that has played the same number of matches together, has a higher average or run rate. Easily England's best opening pair of all time and arguably the best of all time.

Aislabie

Ireland
I'd be astonished if they broke up the Bairstow/Roy combo, particularly to play Dawid Malan.

No opening partnership, that has played the same number of matches together, has a higher average or run rate. Easily England's best opening pair of all time and arguably the best of all time.
As someone who would drop Roy for Malan, this is correct. Roy and Bairstow have a lot of credit in the bank.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
As someone who would drop Roy for Malan, this is correct. Roy and Bairstow have a lot of credit in the bank.
I was going to replace him I'd go with Salt or Jacks, they are more like for like. England have been at their best when they get the quick starts from Bairstow and Roy. Root comes in an casually bangs out a 100 and the middle order play around him. Not sure if Malan has it in him to maintain the momentum. He could probably probably a holding role like Stokes often did but Stokes is back. I think Root and Stokes means there's no need/room for him in the middle order.

He is a reliable backup, who can bat in the top four, but I just think England have thrived on the quick starts from openers. Jacks offers more spin too of course, so you could always bring in Brook at 6 instead of Livingstone.

The New Zealand series will be a good measure of where they are at with their thinking. I would assume if Roy does play and gets three low scores that'll be all anyone talks about.

Aislabie

Ireland
Jacks offers more spin too of course, so you could always bring in Brook at 6 instead
I don't think this is the option, but it gives me an idea of how they might balance the team if (when) Stokes can't bowl.

Rootalitharan as a stock spinner/6th bowler.

1. :eng: :bat: Jonny Bairstow
2. :eng: :bat: Jason Roy
3. :eng: :ar: Joseph Rootalitharan
4. :eng: :bat: Ben Stokes
5. :eng: :bat: Harry Brook
6. :eng: :wk: Jos Buttler
then the all-rounders and bowlers

Welwyn

Associate Cricketer
Think Joe Root might end up being England's most effective spinner at this WC anyway. If they commit to bowling him, I can see teams trying to take him on and ending up England's leading wicket taker :-)

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin

Supreme General

County Cricketer
Might have been tempted to add Will Jacks to the World Cup team maybe ahead of David Willey cause I feel as if we could do with a spin and extra batting cover but other than nothing much wrong. Good to see the young quicks get a go. Tongue in t20 team is a bit odd tho

Users who are viewing this thread