England tour to South Africa December 2015/February 2016

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360

grkrama

National Board President
wow always hope eng to come up with something good :D still bairstow and ali can easily see this though unless some miraculous hat trick happens

stefan

International Coach
Ran out of time but SA will take lots of positives from the game heading into Joburg. To come back from where we were on day 2 was a magnificent effort from the boys.

War

Chairman of Selectors
SA should open with Stephen Cook - Barry Richards | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Its obvious he has to play now. CSA already messed up Van Zyl out of position as a opener.

Firdose Moonda: Africa applauds a son of transformation | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

And despite my position against quota being well known - as a black/mixed race man myself it was a touching moment to see Bavuma score that century - the significance of him being the first black african to score a test hundred to score a test hundred can't be under-rated by any person that understands African history worldwide from a deeper sporting and life level.

I just hope going forward this innings on what was a road (although you argue a tearaway quick and top class leggie might have been a wicket-taking force on this wicket) - that in future battles Bavuma proves to be a batsman to score runs on bowler friendly wickets.

RUDI

Administrator
Admin
SRH...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
Draw. It's not the ideal outcome...but difficult to say which side played better. Well deserved man of the match award to Stokes.
England literally and figuratively "dropped" the game with all the missed catches in the match.
I trust with the South African batsman getting runs under their belts will give them a much needed boost of confidence.
The next Test will most definitely be a more interesting contest.
Well played both teams!

RUDI

Administrator
Admin
SRH...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
Most likely start Sa Test 3:
1) Elgar
2) Rossouw ( hopefully they'll give him a go)
3) Amla
4) De Villiers
5) Du Plessis
6) De Kock/ Bavuma (don't think AB will keep)
7) Morris
8) Philander
9) Steyn
10) Morkel
11) Tahir / Piedt (most likely Piedt)
Both Steyn and Philander are likely to be match fit.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Hashim Amla steps down as South Africa captain | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Even though Amla isn't a leader, I still feel he gave up a bit quickly. Anyways, hopefully he can carry on his with his batting because he is a mighty fine batsman. Ab is going to captain the 3rd test which is kind of expected. However for long term, I would like South Africa to take a gamble and make Faf du Plessis the captain. Yes he had a lean patch but in the current South African setup, he is the only one who stands out as a leader.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I don't think you can compare him to spinners. He is probably behind Steyn, Anderson and Harris within his generation, but apart from that, I can't think of a bowler consistently better than him.

Broad's figures in the last series against Pakistan don't reflect how well he bowled. However he has magnificent figures from the last time England toured there.

If we're talking purely pace bowlers then yes, Broad is probably a top 10 but beyond Steyn and Anderson, it's a pretty weak top 10, which only makes Amirs Pakistani comeback all the more fascinating and Asifs constant infractions even more difficult to swallow.

stefan

International Coach
Hash never wanted it if we are honest, read his answers during the press conference carefully. When he was asked this he says it was an honour to be asked to be captain. He was coerced into this because CSA wanted a non white captain.

Hash has always been a reluctant captain. He resigned the dolphins captaincy after a season as a young man as he felt it was affecting his batting even though he scored a truck load of runs that season. He resigned the odi vice captaincy as he didn't like standing in as captain when ab wasn't available.

We can question the timing but there is no doudt it was the right decision.

Amla the batsman is better then Amla the captain. So hopefully without the stresses of captaincy he returns fully to the great he is.

Personally I think faf should be captain as he is better tactically then ab but you need to go with someone that is 100% guaranteed his spot.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Bit disappointed in Amla dropping the captaincy, not because it was unwarranted but because it was halfway through a competitive series and no one should just leave a team in the lurch like that, especially a team looking to rebuild and looking for inspiration.

I also believe Amla was a better captain than he himself felt he was, which is sad because if you don't believe in yourself then there's not much success to be found.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Most likely start Sa Test 3:
1) Elgar
2) Rossouw ( hopefully they'll give him a go)
3) Amla
4) De Villiers
5) Du Plessis
6) De Kock/ Bavuma (don't think AB will keep)
7) Morris
8) Philander
9) Steyn
10) Morkel
11) Tahir / Piedt (most likely Piedt)
Both Steyn and Philander are likely to be match fit.

I believe it'll be like this:

1) Elgar
2) Bavuma/Van Zyl/de Kock
3) Amla
4) De Villiers
5) Faf
6) Bavuma/ Van Zyl
7) de Kock/Morris/ Vilas
8) Rabada
9) Steyn
10) Morkel/ Philander
11) Piedt

No way Bavuma will be dropped for 10-20 tests.The selectors dont rate de Kock as a Test player, so they'll quickly drop him or push him as an opener. Vilas might be in if AB doesnt keep. Rabada wont be dropped aswell (I hate quota) so Philander will battle with Morkel...

War

Chairman of Selectors
Hash never wanted it if we are honest, read his answers during the press conference carefully. When he was asked this he says it was an honour to be asked to be captain. He was coerced into this because CSA wanted a non white captain.

Hash has always been a reluctant captain. He resigned the dolphins captaincy after a season as a young man as he felt it was affecting his batting even though he scored a truck load of runs that season. He resigned the odi vice captaincy as he didn't like standing in as captain when ab wasn't available.

We can question the timing but there is no doudt it was the right decision.

Amla the batsman is better then Amla the captain. So hopefully without the stresses of captaincy he returns fully to the great he is.

Personally I think faf should be captain as he is better tactically then ab but you need to go with someone that is 100% guaranteed his spot.

Yep....

Daryll Cullinan: Hashim Amla's big chance | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

It would come as no surprise that their brief to the selectors is that they would favour a captain of colour. This could very well be why Amla has made himself available, and he may even have been persuaded to do so. CSA has made no bones about it, and this has been reflected in recent coaching appointments, that transformation and political correctness are higher on their agenda than ever before.

South Africa are yet to have a captain of colour (save for Ashwell Prince, who captained in two Tests) and the majority of those who are party to the decision will lobby hard for it.

Hashim Amla likely to take SA Test reins | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

It is believed Amla was convinced to make himself available by administrators who hope to tick two boxes by appointing him. It will also ease the political pressure on CSA to accelerate the rate of transformation.

Although there are no official quotas placed on national teams, there is an expectancy from government that sports federations will show a commitment to change. Before South Africa's general elections last month, sports minister Fikile Mbalula threatened to impose a 60% player of colour quota on all teams and those who failed to meet it could risk not receiving government funding and being banned from competing internationally. Mbalula, who remains in the post after the new cabinet was announced, retracted that demand but has met with officials across various sporting codes, including cricket and rugby, to reach common ground on their plans to transform.

But sources have cautioned against seeing Amla's likely appointment as solely based on transformation goals. "He is highly respected in the team so I don't think there is any aspect of colour that comes into it," one insider said. "And even if it is mentioned, Hashim has had to deal with this type of thing before. If he is appointed, it is above and beyond colour and he will know that."

Rushdie Magiet, a former convener of selectors, agreed and told ESPNcricinfo, he thinks Amla has the ability to "bring the team together" as they head through a transition phase.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I believe it'll be like this:

1) Elgar
2) Bavuma/Van Zyl/de Kock
3) Amla
4) De Villiers
5) Faf
6) Bavuma/ Van Zyl
7) de Kock/Morris/ Vilas
8) Rabada
9) Steyn
10) Morkel/ Philander
11) Piedt

No way Bavuma will be dropped for 10-20 tests.The selectors dont rate de Kock as a Test player, so they'll quickly drop him or push him as an opener. Vilas might be in if AB doesnt keep. Rabada wont be dropped aswell (I hate quota) so Philander will battle with Morkel...

If Jo'Burg is anything like the same wicket when ENG last played there in 2010 - it will probably be the one wicket SA can just throw a 4-prong of Steyn/Morke/Rabada/Morris or Viljeon/Abbot at ENG.

4th Test: South Africa v England at Johannesburg, Jan 14-17, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Users who are viewing this thread