England v West Indies

S

sonic

Match Summary

Day 1: England 362-4
Day 2: England 462 All Out, West Indies 225-3
Day 3: West Indies 473-5 declared, England 112-2
Day 4: England 221-4 (At Lunch)

the match will continue....its very evenly balanced, but West Indies seem to have the upperhand

S

sonic

England declared on the last ball of the fourth day on 510-7, setting West Indies a target of 500 to win from the final days play. If they're going to attempt victory then they will need to come out with a ODI frame of mind. Many beleive that the score is a touch out of reach though for Lara's side and he himself admitted it was a very tall order

"I don't think the lads will feel up to this challenge, 10 an over is a big ask to chase, but its our own fault for bowling so poorly in the last session".

Indeed, at Tea England were 301-5 and going at a very sluggish pace. But in the final session England cranked a massive 209 runs from just 17 overs. Collingwood cam out very much on the offensive and found himself a willing partner in Alec Stewart who was in fine form. Both batsmen perished towards the latter stages but by then, England had posted such a massive total that it didn't really matter.

Many believe the game will be a draw now and indeed it would seem that the West Indies would be content with that given the green pitch they will be up against. Only Lara knows in himself what his players can achieve, if they decide to go for it then there could yet be a thrilling finish, but at this stage the game is very much a draw.

Scorecards etc are below:

S

sonic

Match Summary

Day 3: West Indies 473-5 declared, England 112-2
Day 4: England 510-7
Day 5: play not yet started

West Indies require 500 runs to win from 51 overs

A

Auwais BARTHEZ

He will need a ten an over runrate which I can do.But will need to keep up with the run rate (which I can't do).
Good luck Killa because you may need it.

K

killa_stiky2002

It's hard to keep up even 8 an over on this pitch but I'll be hoping Gayle can do another magic...batting through the whole first innings.

Sorry about the scorecards.

K

killa_stiky2002

MATCH DRAWN

After a collapse in West Indies' batting innings from 295/1 (28) to 400/9 (48), the bowlers made compensation for some poor bowling by seeing out the last couple overs.
The crowd was none too pleased at Butcher when Collins defended the final ball (inswinging yorker). The last over saw many nervous cracking. Lawson edged 3 balls, two dropping short at gully and one (driving) over the keeper's head for a single which brought Collins on strike for the last couple balls. He survived, and I think he'll stay in his hotel tonight as well as the entire England team. Bottles were throw on the field (suprisingly) as soon as the players had completely walked off the fields, but it wasn't all bad, for the West Indies in particular, Gayle found his form with the ball and bat, score over 300 runs in this match alone and with the ball also.

Lara had this to say
Well, after 4 days of fast bowling this pitch was still as green as the second day which made batting pretty hard. Things started off well but then Mark (Butcher) and Jamie (Anderson) kept it type and I respected their fielding at the boundary. Another disappointing knock by me. I know I let my team town but we are scheduling extra batting sessions for everyone who got out below 40. As for our bowlers, there is a lot of work to be done. They will not be sleeping this weekend. They are bowling a good line but they weren't patient enough which led them to lose concentration and let the batsmen on their skin. I am still disappointed at Ridley's descision and from then I gave the order to last the couple overs that were left and not try to make magic happen. Congratulations to Gayle, I hope he and Smith carry their form to the Oval because word is over there the pitch is being drengted in rain which will make bowling and batting very hard.

Lara also stated that it was very hard to chase @ 10 an over using the keyboard :unsure: :)

K

killa_stiky2002

Final Scores:

Day 3: West Indies 473-5 dec, England 112-2
Day 4: England 510-7 dec
Day 5: West Indies 409-9

Match Drawn. Man Of Match - C.H.Gayle

Scorecard: