Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters

I guess you are not saving it as a jpeg file. Try adding ".jpg" after the filename when you are saving it in your computer.

The 2nd Tsunami Benefit Match - Sponsored by Travelex

The 2nd Tsunami Benefit Match - Sponsored by Travelex
ACC Asia XI vs ICC World XI
Sharjah C.A. International Stadium, Sharjah, UAE

4k8ion

David Gower: Welcome to Sharjah for the 2nd Tsunami Benefit cricket match between the ACC Asia XI and the ICC World XI. You are watching live and exclusive coverage only on Sky Sports 1.
Well we have lots lined up for you today, starting with a number of special guests in our studio here. Right now along side me I have two cricket greats in Geoffery Boycott and Rameez Raja. A very good morning to the both of you.

Now Rameez, how seriously do you think Inzamam will be taking this match?

Rameez Raja: Very seriously David. He wants to win this match, especially after what happened in the first game. He wants to restore back some pride in the Asians, and I am sure he has prepared his team well for this game. It should be a cracker and a good exhibition of one day cricket, and for a very good cause.

David Gower: Yes indeed Rameez.
Geoffery, some changes in both sides that played in the first game at Lords. Who do you think one must look out for in this match?

Geoffery Boycott: All 22 of them. We have 22 of the best selected cricketers playing today for both the teams. But yes, I think on form, Herschelle Gibbs will be one to keep an eye on. Others like Jacques Kallis, Ricky Ponting, Sachin Tendulkar can always be dangerous.

David Gower: Thanks a lot Geoffery. Now lets head to the middle for the pitch report with Ian Botham and Bob Willis.

Ian Botham: Thanks a lot David. Before we have a look at the pitch lets have a look ath the conditions, with our very own Bob Willis.

4k8iti

Bob Willis: Well its a humid day today, and players might feel a bit sticky, but otherwise there is a nice breeze blowing across the ground. No chance of rain whatsoever in this part of the world, though we have some unexepected showers down in Dubai, not very far from here. The sun is shining brightly and we are expected to be treated to a fantastic day of cricket.

Ian Botham: Thanks Bob. Now lets have a quick glance at the pitch.
4k8iud

Its pretty firm. dry and dusty. So some turn in it immediately, however I think the batsmen wont really have any problems playing with the turning ball as he will ample time to get into position and play his shot. So lots of runs expected, whether you are batting first or second. Its gonna be tough work for the bowlers.
Back to you, David.

David Gower: Thanks Ian. We will take a short break now after which we will have the coin toss with another special guest commentator, Ian Healy.

David Gower: Welcome back and now lets head back to the middle where Ian Healy is ready with both the captains for the coin toss.

Ian Healy: Good morning ladies and gentlemen. I have both the captains with me here for the coin toss along side the match referee, Mr. Ranjan Madugalle of Sri Lanka.
Its time to toss the coin, so if I could ask Inzamam to please do the same.....................Ponting has called for heads..............and heads it is. Ricky Ponting has won the toss.

Ricky, whats your decision?

Ricky Ponting: We are going bowl first. I think its a good wicket for batting, and if we can get them out for less than 250, I am confident with the pitch slowing down as the match progresses, we will be able to chase that pretty comfortably. Besides any movement on this wicket, can only be made best use of in the morning session.

Ian Healy: And what about your team members, everyone up for this game?

Ricky Ponting: Yes very much Ian. Everyone is really excited about representing the World XI and for such a noble cause. I myself am looking forward to playing today.

Ian Healy: Thanks Ricky.

Now, Inzamam, are you disappointed to have lost the toss?

Inzamam: Well the toss is not important here as it wont make a difference whether you bat first or second. Infact if we put up a high total batting first, then we can put World XI under pressure.

Ian Healy: And I am sure you want to have your revenge after losing the first game by 131 runs at Lords.

Inzamam: Yes we want to win this match. We've prepared and trained hard, thanks to our coach, Bob Woolmer, and all the players want to do well today and win the match for the team.

Ian Healy: Thanks Inzamam, and all the best.

David Gower: That was Ian Healy with the coin toss. So World XI have won the toss and have decided to bowl first. Is that going to make any difference, Geoffery?

Geoffery Boycott: Nah, I dont think so. But yes if you do indeed post a score above 300, no matter what pitch you are playing on, its always going to be tough chasing it.

David Gower: Okay then, we are ready for action, lets have a look at the two lineups as the players head to the middle.

ACC Asia XI:
Sanath Jayasuriya
Sachin Tendulkar
Shoaib Malik
Rahul Dravid
Inzamam-ul-Haq (Captain)
Yousuf Youhana
Kumarra Sangakkara
Shahid Afridi
Irfan Pathan
Chaminda Vaas
Mohammad Sami

ICC World XI:
Herschelle Gibbs
Chris Gayle
Ricky Ponting (Captain)
Stephen Fleming
Brian Lara
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchirst
Shaun Pollock
Daniel Vettori
Heath Streak
Steve Harmison

Last edited:
Runs galore!!

Asia XI 130-3 (20 Overs)
R. Dravid 8*(21) J. Kallis 1-15
Inzamam-ul-Haq 6*(15) S. Harmison 1-17
Shoaib Malik 68(48) S. Pollock 1-19

Nasser Hussain: Well Asia XI has raced on 130-3 after 20 overs thanks to a blisterring 68 from 48 balls from Shoaib Malik. Sanath Jayasuriya also was looking dangerous but was dismissed on 34 by Shaun Pollock. After Shoaib Malik's dismissal, however, the run rate has gone down, as Dravid and Inzamam havent looked all that comfortable in the middle. Plus the fielding of the World XI has been exceptional so far.

Ravi Shastri: Yes indeed Nasser. Asia XI got off to a superb star, and despite losing Tendulkar early, they were scoring at almost 7-7.5 runs per over. But I think World XI have fought back well, dismissing both Jayasuriya and Malik then containing both Inzamam and Dravid well.

Nasser Hussain: Yes Ravi. Now lets have a look at the highlights:

4k8mbp

4k8owz

4k8oxu

4k8oz4

4k8p39

isnt it suppose to be the ICC World XI in blue and Asia XI in green?

Asia XI lose their way

Asia XI 248 all out (44.4 Overs)
Shoaib Malik 68(48) S. Pollock 3-32
S. Jayasuriya 34(33) D. Vettori 2-42
K. Sangakkara 26(36)

World XI need 249 runs to win 50 overs
Reqd RR: 4.98

David Gower: So after a good start Inzamam-ul-Haq's team seem to lose their way completely, being bowled out for 248 in the end. Shoaib Malik's 68 was the main highlight from the innings. World XI's Shaun Pollock picked up three wickets, while Daniel Vettori picked up two.

Ian Botham: Yes and what is more disappointing is that they dint play out the entire 50 overs. Add another 30-40 runs in the remaining 32 balls, you could have got 278-288, which would have been a pretty decent score. As it stands now 249 can be chased pretty easily, and unless Asia XI pull up their socks and put in an excellent bowling and fielding display or if World XI put in a horrid batting performance, I dont see how the Asians will be end up winning this game.

David Gower: Yes. Lets have a look at the highlights after the 20th over.

4kjuzb

4kjv2u

4kjv54

4kjvc2

4kjwo6

Users who are viewing this thread