Story England's International Season (Sep 2004 Onwards) [C2005]

Who will win the Natwest Series 2005?

• Total voters
Don't worry,you can still do your stories with Cricket 2004.

England halt Bangladesh's good start with two late wickets

1st npower Test Match: England vs Bangladesh
Stumps
Day 2

Bangladesh (1st Innings) 80-2 25 Overs
Habibul Bashar 9*(13) G. Batty 1-13
Mohammad Ashraful 0*(16) S. Jones 1-16
Nafees Iqbal 35(64)
Javed Omar 24(61)

England (1st Innings) 661-5 declared 140 Overs

Paul Allot: Bangladesh got off to a really good start with both the openers, Javed Omar and Nafees Iqbal, doing well. Nafees Iqbal played some nice looking shots in his innings. England's two opening bowlers, James Anderson and Martin Saggers werent really enjoying themselves in the middle.

521k61

Michael Holding: Yes Paul. Nafees and Omar were looking very promising with the shots that they played, but unfortunately they dont have the experience of being in a good position, so probably lost their way towards the end of the day, and England made good use of that.

ihnp-444719.jpg

Paul Allot: Yes Gareth Batty got the first wicket, that of Jamed Omar, out LBW for 24.

ihnp-444727.jpg

and he was soon followed by the other opener, Nafees Iqbal, after the latter had his stumps rattled by a nice inswinging Simon Jones delivery.

ihnp-444734.jpg

At stumps on Day 2, so, Bangladesh are 80-2, still 581 runs behind England's first innings score, and more importantly 382 runs away from preventing a follow on.

Last edited:
Paul Allot: Bangladesh's scorecard was looking pretty good before those two wickets fell. Both Javed Omar and Nafees Iqbal were looking to be in good form. Even the captain Habibul Bashar has looked impressive so far, hitting Paul Collingwood for two fours off consecutive deliveries.

ihnp-445642.jpg

ihnp-445646.jpg

Michael Holding: England's bowling hasnt been all that great. Anderson and Saggers were pretty inconsistent with their line today, while Jones was bowling a bit too short.

ihnp-445650.jpg

ihnp-445651.jpg

Paul Allot: We will take a break now after which we have an interview lined up with the England captain, and the double centurion of this test match, Michael Vaughan. So stay tuned.

Analysis of Day 2 + Interview with Vaughan

David Gower: Welcome back. We've had another run fest on day 2, with just three wickets falling. Also few will disagree that England are still on top here, especially after picking up those two late wickets.

Ian Botham: Oh most definately David. England are still 581 runs ahead, and thats a lot believe me. I think England will be a bit disappointed with the bowlers for their inconsistent line and length in the evening session, but overall they can still make Bangladesh bat again. Remember the visitors need to score 462 to avoid the follow on, thats 382 more runs, and with eight wickets in hand.

David Gower: Well thanks a lot Ian. We've managed to get hold of Michael Vaughan for a short interview, and we will now head to the ground, where the England captain is with our very own David Lyold.

52hmyh

David Lyold: Thanks David. Yes I am with the Double Centurion, Michael Vaughan, whose England team are all over Bangladesh in this match.
First of all congratulations mate for that superb innings of 265.

Michael Vaughan: Thanks David.

David Lyold: Okay now when you and Paul Collingwood came into bat today morning, what score were you looking at, for a declaration?

Michael Vaughan: To be honest, our main aim in the morning was not to lose any wickets and hence lose the advantage that we gained on the first day. So we just played our shots with caution, and it was only after lunch when we had scored above 500, did we start discussing about the declaration. Since we had a good run rate and a lot of time left in this test match, I thought it would be better if we played the 2nd session, and posted a score that would be very very difficult for Bangladesh to chase. I was looking at something 600 as the minimum declaration score, but I wanted to play the entire session, and with our run rate going well in the session as well, we did very well to score 661.

David Lyold: Yes, and now coming back to your 265. How did it feel when you finally reached 200? You have close on a couple of occassions before, but have missed on the double hundred in both times.

Michael Vaughan: Well I wasnt thinking about the previous two occassions as it could hamper my chances of 200 as well my team chances of getting a good score. To be honest I just cooled down in the 190s, and dint do anything foolish or stupid.

David Lyold: And Lords seems to be your favourite ground,as your record here is pretty amazing.

Michael Vaughan: Its a great feeling for any cricketer to score a 100 or get 5 wickets at Lords. Lords is synonymous to cricket, and is the home of cricket. Its an honour to even play on this ground, and to score a double hundred, the feeling that you get is simply out of this world.
I have been very fortunate here at Lords, and it has been a lucky ground for me, and I am really pleased I have done well here again.

David Lyold: And how impressed are you with the likes of Kevin Pieterson and Alastair Cook?

Michael Vaughan: Kevin Pieterson is already proving to be one of England's and the World's best cricketers. He was an instant success in the ond day game, and is now a hit in the test match version as well. He is no doubt a good player, and is a vital member of this England cricket team.
Alastair Cook is another promising star who I thought played really well after he got over his initial fears, which is but natural when you are playing for your first test match, and that also at Lords. However Alastair is still very young, and has age in his side, and with another few good performances for Essex as well as England, he can also become a very important component of the International team.

David Lyold: Well..........thanks a lot Michael, and all the best.
Now its back to the studio with David Gower.

David Gower: Thanks David. Well thats all that we have for you today. Do join us again tomorrow for Day 3 of this 1st npower test match between England and Bangladesh. Till then, from all of us here at the Sky Sports studio, its goodbye.

Last edited:
I remember making 275 with Ponting against New Zealand in my old story thread.

Users who are viewing this thread