English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
The Sussex bowling looks a bit suspect, but I expect them to pull through. In 1 change to the Surrey side, Harinath seems to be in for Schofield.

Ollie_H added 7 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

Match details
Players per side Derbyshire 9 ; Surrey 11

That's gonna make for an interesting game! :p

Warwickshire-Yorkshire looks the most interesting match of these fixtures. Guys like Bell, Trott, Ambrose, Woakes, Rashid, Bresnan and Shahzad all featuring. Been a nice start for Shahzad too, 1-1 off 2 getting the wicket of former Essex batsman Varun Chopra.

Good bowling change there by RHB, Dernbach wasn't settled, switched it to Linley and he gets the wick of Madsen in the first over. Really looking forward to see how RHB will go with the bat and the captaincy.

Luke Wright at 5 this season, looks he feels he has to bat higher up the order to get picked in the Test side.

He should have a good season batting 5 in Division 2. If he can average 50 in Div 1 then he shouldn't have any issues in Div 2.

I'm really excited for Hampshire's season; especially if Simon Jones gets fit. It seems to have been forever since he was actually fully fit, but if he can finally get over the knee problems, then he could very well get back in the England side. He's only 31, which is amazing considering it seems 2005 was so long ago. He's still capable of bowling genuinely quickly and devastatingly, as he proved in '08 for Worcester, but he just needs to get back on the pitch. Hopefully he'll recover quickly and get in the side.

Hampshire's strongest side looks really good this season; especially in T20 cricket. If we get KP back for a few games, then the T20 competition could very easily be won. Don't think you'll see many better sides than:

Michael Lumb
Michael Carberry
Kevin Pietersen
James Vince
Shahid Afridi
Sean Ervine
Nic Pothas +
Dimi Mascarenhas
Dominick Cork/Hamza Riazuddin/Simon Jones/David Griffiths
Kabir Ali
Ajantha Mendis/Danny Briggs (depending if Mendis is here for the T20's)

That's one heck of a side. Then we've also got Jimmy Adams, Chris Benham, Neil McKenzie and Liam Dawson who could also come in and add to the batting if the likes of Pietersen and Lumb aren't available. I am hoping KP'll actually play some domestic cricket this year though, has been a while since he turned out for Hampshire. Just wish we could have got Shane Watson back to Hampshire in-place of Afridi. Watto and Lumb opening the batting, with KP at 3 would be beyond awesome.

Last edited:
Isn't it 'Sean Ervine'?

I notice Chris Rogers is still one-handedly supporting Derbyshire's batting.

Good day for the young English players amongst the county circuit. Good to see Finn and Shahzad doing well after being involved in the England team.

Godleman also had a decent innings with Essex and he has quite alot of potential.

More pleasing for me is the performance by Harris, who I think may get his chance in the England team sometime soon, with his 4-68 against a very decent Sussex batting line up.

Yea perfect start for to the season for Finn after am impressive showing in Bangladesh. Not the greatest batting line-up (given its Division 2), but lets hope for England sake he keeps take wickets this season.

What looks a very good Middlesex batting line-up is being annihilated by a very average Wocestershire attack. Awful performance really.

Not the start to the season that Strauss had imagined I suspect.

With all the talk of all the South African's we have in our side, and how England don't have a lot of talent. I would actually have to dis agree, there are some very talented English youngsters coming through. I'm gonna put it out there, possibly the best youngesters in the world.

With all the talk of all the South African's we have in our side, and how England don't have a lot of talent. I would actually have to dis agree, there are some very talented English youngsters coming through. I'm gonna put it out there, possibly the best youngesters in the world.

I agree with you Ollie, I think England and South Africa have probably the best youngsters coming through the ranks, such as Steven Finn, Daniel Redfurn, Adil Rashid, David Wainwright etc. While South Africa have the likes of Rilee Rossouw, Wayne Parnell, Stiaan Van Zyl. So the future is bright for these two countries.

There are many other quality youngester as well, if you look for pure out and out Englishmen. You have batsmen like Sam Northeast (Kent), Billy Godelman (Essex), Alex Hales (Notts), James Vince (Hants). But If we can nurture this talent correctly, there are some cracking players!

James Taylor got a few as well didn't he? Could be in for an England place if Trotts poor form continues! Taylor's been excellent for Leicestershire.

RMJ is such a dependable cricketer. 64 in the 1st innings to dig us out of a hole and get us to a modest 280 odd. Then 2 wickets in the middle order. Monty is yet to bowl.

200 and out for Rogers.

Dan - James Taylor is a very talented cricketer, just a shame he's at Grace Road really!

Users who are viewing this thread