English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
Look on the various county websites and they should have some highlights of their games

Because he hasn't arrived yet, not set to play till June iirc.

War - You seriously think our 20-25 talent is just those 6 players?

Denly, Broad, Kieswetter, Davies, Harris (Glamorgan) just straight off the top of my head without looking

Denly - Has talent yea. But you compare Denly to the 20-25 openers Australia, India & South Africa have. Such as Hughes (AUS), Vijay, Abhinav Mukund & Shikar Dhawan (IND), Dean Elgar (SA). Denly cant compare with these cats.

Broad - He is already a senior member of the team. I was mainly talking about players in the 20-25 age range who aren't international regulars or have not played international cricket yet.

Kiewswetter - He is not English by trade. An imported talent.

Davies - Australia have Luke Ronchi, Matthew Wade, Tim Paine. S. Africa have Heino Kuhn & India have Denesh Karthik has back-up keepers. I think a few of them here may be over 25 - but all are better than Davies based on what i've seen excpet probably Ronchi.

Harris - Yes he definately a young fast-bowling talent, but his progress seems to have stalled in recent season. I'd say Nathan Buck is ahead of him in the pecking order ATM.

But Harris can't be compared to the likes of Parnell, Umesh Yadav from SA & IND.

Plus young AUS under 25 bowlers that i've seen such as Josh Hazlewood, Alistair McDermott are just as good if not better than Harris. While others who i have not seen, but have impressed in the much tougher sheild cricket recently such as Ben Cutting, Mitch Starc, Trent Copeland Peter George. All already have some advantages over Harris.

Last edited:
BTW, Shikhar Dhawan is not one of the best young batsmen India has at the moment. They are Ajinkya Rahane, Manish Pandey, Cheteshwar Pujara, Manoj Tiwary, Abhinav Mukund, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli and Murali Vijay.

BTW, Shikhar Dhawan is not one of the best young batsmen India has at the moment. They are Ajinkya Rahane, Manish Pandey, Cheteshwar Pujara, Manoj Tiwary, Abhinav Mukund, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli and Murali Vijay.

Do you & the larger Indian public see Manish Pandey as future opener in test & ODIs or as a middle-order batsman?.

Do you & the larger Indian public see Manish Pandey as future opener in test & ODIs or as a middle-order batsman?.

Middle order batsman, I think. Gambhir is going to be around for some time yet and Murali Vijay has already cemented himself as the replacement opener. Sehwag is also just 31 so the openings are really only in the middle order with Sachin, Dravid and Laxman retiring. In ODIs, the competition is much tougher as he also has to compete with Jadeja and Karthik. He still needs another great season or two to push himself in front of Rahane and Pujara, not to mention Raina and Kohli who are already in the squad.

Panesar overlooked for England Performance Squad | England Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Can somebody explain to me why in the hell is Yardy anywhere near this??:doh MY GODD

War added 5 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Thats pretty harsh on Dhawan to be honest. His chances of getting picked for India are very unlikely given that spaces in the opening slot are never likely to be open in the near future (unless Gambhir, Sehwag, Vijay get injured all at once). But based on what i've seen of him since his under-19 days & the last 3 IPL's he is clearly a classy little player.

Jimmy's back!!!! 6-44 today! Essex 176 all out, then Jimmy manages a huge 0! Still good to see him back and taking wickets before we lose him for the summer.

Panesar overlooked for England Performance Squad | England Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Can somebody explain to me why in the hell is Yardy anywhere near this??:doh MY GODD

Because he's a very good cricketer who is vastly under-rated, aka, Collingwood.

War said:
I'd say Nathan Buck is ahead of him in the pecking order ATM.

This would have nothing to do with the fact he took 7 wickets in the match against the weakest batting attack in the county circuit, whereas Harris has been pretty much a regular for Glamorgan for two years, has nearly 100 championship wickets, averages under 30 in both forms and can actually bat pretty well? I'm not even going to bother with the rest of your post if you're going to make such bad statements as Buck being ahead of Harris in the pecking order of young bowlers.

Nice to see RHB and Davies get their debut 100's for Surrey now. Not a massive fan of our bowling line up, but that would be because I want Meaker to play :p. I still think RHB could be an absolute gem of a signing, if he can be nurtured in the correct way, could be a very good player!

Now wait for several poor performances which demonstrate his inability to be consistent.

Because he's a very good cricketer who is vastly under-rated, aka, Collingwood.

I would say the days in which Collingwood was "a very good cricketer that is under-rated" has been gone since vs South Africa 2008.

Collingwood currently obviously is a senior member of the national side in all forms of the game & players worldwide rate him fairly highly.

Mike Yardy is an utter-joke. Can you seriously tell me what role you can see Yardy playing in the national team in either the test, ODI or T20 sides in the near future?

sureshot said:
This would have nothing to do with the fact he took 7 wickets in the match against the weakest batting attack in the county circuit, whereas Harris has been pretty much a regular for Glamorgan for two years, has nearly 100 championship wickets, averages under 30 in both forms and can actually bat pretty well? I'm not even going to bother with the rest of your post if you're going to make such bad statements as Buck being ahead of Harris in the pecking order of young bowlers.

To me Harris hasn't really improved alot in recent years. He seems to be stuck. He broke into the county circuit around the same time as Steven Finn circa 2005/2006, & look where Finn is right now compared to Harris regardless of Harris pretty decent domestic stats to date.

I saw Buck in the under-19 WC earlier this year & i very much like what i saw in his bowling. Yes Buck is playing in the weak Division 2 ATM. But if the Buck keeps improving this season from the bowler i saw in the under-19 WC & Harris doesn't improve - Buck will be ahead of Harris. Even if this happens though none of Buck or Harris will be ready for international cricket by the end of this season anyway.

Can't be bothered to post properly at the moment but War your posts in this thread have been quite ridiculous to be honest. You seem say something with no justification

I don't see how Harris "isn't really improving over the last few year" he has only been on the circuit for two years and has a very decent average especially when he has to bowl on the flat surface that is the Swalec Stadium then go on to say that Buck is going to be better on the back of one performance.

Can't be bothered to post properly at the moment but War your posts in this thread have been quite ridiculous to be honest. You seem say something with no justification

I don't see how Harris "isn't really improving over the last few year" he has only been on the circuit for two years and has a very decent average especially when he has to bowl on the flat surface that is the Swalec Stadium then go on to say that Buck is going to be better on the back of one performance.

Averages aren't everything. Sometimes players are picked on raw talent by impresing selectors on a single individual performance also. As i mentiioned before James Harris & Steve Finn broke into the domestic circuit around the same time crica 2005/06, they both have similar domestic stats & look where Finn is in comparison to Harris. Plus even Ajmal Shazad (who i dont respecially rate currently) has leapfrogged him. So its fairly obvious he is off the selectors radar currently, theirfore you dont have to take my word for it.

Harris being stuck in the poor Division two with Glamorgan hasn't helped much - a move to Divison 1 soon is imperitve. If you check his FC stats he hasn't taken a 5 wicket haul since his impressive 2007 debut season:

2007: 9 matches, 33 wickets @ 24
2008: 5 matches, 11 wickets @ 32. No 5 for
2009: 13 matches, 41 wickets @ 35. No 5 for

2010 (to date): 2 matches, 9 wickets @ 22. He is not playing the their current game vs Debry, not sure if he is injured or has been dropped.

Overall this pretty much proves my point that he seems to be "stuck". Thats why i saw IF Buck has a good season & Harris doesn't come out of his "stuck" mode - Buck will move ahead of him in the pecking order this season. But we have to wait & see how things unfold for the remainder of the season.

War added 3 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

Lets bring the discussion back into context here though. Since suddenly it has drifted off into a James Harris vs Nathan Buck deabte, which overall is besides the point.

What is being discussed here is whether James Harris can be considered a "hot young talent" in the under 25 age group for England currently. He clearly isn't, he rather isn't a work in progress. He is young enough & is very likely will play for England one day.

Users who are viewing this thread