English Domestic Cricket

Who is your county team?

• Total voters
He went to pursue a career in the city, ala Alex Loudon. Both of them were at an age where they weren't going to play for England again and the amount of money they could make in the city is ridiculous compared to a county wage. Generally also a city businessman is over the hill by his mid 30's, so they're both trying to get about 6/7 years on around 300,000k a year if they are any good to keep them set for life.

He went to pursue a career in the city, ala Alex Loudon. Both of them were at an age where they weren't going to play for England again and the amount of money they could make in the city is ridiculous compared to a county wage. Generally also a city businessman is over the hill by his mid 30's, so they're both trying to get about 6/7 years on around 300,000k a year if they are any good to keep them set for life.
Oh, and by both, dont tell me you mean - Mahmood?

Nah I meant Bruce and Loudon.

I don't think Mahmood has enough brain cells to look after himself let alone a business.

Can I say that I hope Northants get rolled over many a time this season?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/counties/northamptonshire/7247515.stm

Boje, Van der Wath, Klusener and Hall.

Added to (players I think aren't England qualified:
Both Crooks?
O'Brien (I know he isn't)
Riki Wessels

I think Andrew Crook qualifies this year for England. Not sure on Steven.

So, I think that's 8 players who can't represent England. I really don't like that.

Can I say that I hope Northants get rolled over many a time this season?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/counties/northamptonshire/7247515.stm

Boje, Van der Wath, Klusener and Hall.

Added to (players I think aren't England qualified:
Both Crooks?
O'Brien (I know he isn't)
Riki Wessels

I think Andrew Crook qualifies this year for England. Not sure on Steven.

So, I think that's 8 players who can't represent England. I really don't like that.

Unacceptable. You can't have that many non English players. The ECB have got do something about the kolpak player law and soon. Future England players are going to suffer if teams carry on using kolpak players instead of young England talent.

Base salary of around 150k if you're any good. Increased pay on certain cases, bonus', can quite easily earn a quarter or even half a million a year if you're exceptional. Plenty of them go to the city at 21 and retire by 30.

Is their going to be any change in the format of the county season for 200
8?

The Friends Provident Trophy undergoes the biggest change. The 18 counties (Plus Ireland and Scotland) will now be split into 4 regional groups. Each team plays each other both home and away. Top 2 teams from each group go through to quarter finals.

For Twenty20, the fixtures have been evened out in the group stage so teams now get 5 home and 5 away games in the group stage. (3 regional groups of 6 remains unchanged).

There are no real format changes to Pro40 or the CCh.

Of course there are a few updates on playing conditions. Mainly with regards to fitness of the playing area, the biggest change being that the light will not be offered, instead the decision is in the hands of the umpires.

Couple of non-moves today.

Warwickshire have given up on signing Pollock, as Pollock was only interested in playing in the Twenty20 cup and Worcestershire have given up on signing Shane Bond, it now looks likely that Bond will play for Hampshire for a short stint as Warne has confirmed he will not play for Hampshire until after the Twenty20 cup, Hants plan on signing 3 different players on short term deals.

In other news Jason Gillespie has decided not to play in the IPL so should be available for Glamorgan from the start of the season.

Shane Bond has indeed now signed for Hampshire and will play from the start of the season until the start of the Twenty20 competition.

Australian Ryan Harris has joined Sussex. He has a British Passport so will not count as an overseas player (Subject to registration going through with the ECB). Completing today's movements (I think) South African Alfonso Thomas has signed for Somerset under the kolpak ruling.

This now leaves Kent and Worcestershire as the only teams not to have announced at least one overseas player. (Northants won't be fielding an overseas player this season).

Last edited:
Debatable.

Having looked at Harris record this season he's done alright. Any Aussies shed some light on him?

Last edited:
There's a lad on the Sussex forums who's an Aussie who plays over here in the summer but goes home in the English winter and plays and lives in Aussie. He's a contracted talent scout for Northants and he reckons Harris is top draw. He said he's a late bloomer despite being involved with Aussie U19's in his past and has really started to it his straps, as a lot of Aussie's do, once they've passed 26. He really reckons he'll do well. You have to remember you also plucked Rana, Mushy, Arafat and the likes out of absolutely nowhere at the times.

On the point of his record, you have to take into account he's bowling on the absolute flattest track in Aussie, with nothing in it for the bowlers against a standard usually a fair amount better than County Cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread